HAPPY NATIONAL STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM DAY!

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on January 15th, 2008

strawberry-ice-cream.jpgThat’s right, today is all about strawberry ice cream. It deserves its own day too! Strawberry ice cream is one of the first flavors ever created. It makes sense. In the early days, ice cream flavors were vanilla-based concoctions with various bits of fruit mixed in for good measure.

One of the earliest documented uses of strawberry ice cream comes from 1744 – long before George Washington and Thomas Jefferson caught on to the joys of ice cream in the latter half of the 18th century. It was in 1744 that Maryland Governor Thomas Bladen began serving strawberry ice cream to impress dignitaries and other house guests.

37 Responses to “HAPPY NATIONAL STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM DAY!”

1. Caroline says:

Happy 264 anniversity to Strawberry. Now when did chocolate ice cream come into use or better yet my favorite Raspberry?
    By the way I believe most of us would like to know if California took our advice and went for the delivery over the coupons. Please let us know.

2. Christina M. says:

Well that’s delicious information to know!! Makes me want a bowl right now!!!

3. Greg C says:

Cool! This past summer we were making ice cream, as is our wont, and we branched out from the traditional (and easier) vanilla a bit. The one that turned out the best – by FAR – was our strawberry ice cream. It was great! It definitely does deserve it’s own day!

Just wondering why it’s in January? Not exactly strawberry season… :-)

4. Artemis says:

STRAWBERRY ice cream was my grandfathers alltime favorite!!!he lived to be 94!!!Wonderful memories!!!

5. Peg Cramer says:

Ah, strawberry ice cream! It was my main craving the week before my baby was due.

Hooray for Strawberry!

7. Beth Katz says:

I didn’t have any strawberry ice cream on hand to celebrate, so I had some Banana Split.

8. Kelly D says:

Yummy, I think I will buy some strawberries today to add to my ice cream

9. Jacqueline says:

I didn’t realize Americans had ice cream such a long time ago. Interesting fact!

10. Betty Seidel says:

Dear Turkey Hill Team:
    The Magnets you sent I do appreciate.
    To be a 12 Days of Ice Cream Contest
    winner makes me feel great!
    The cone and sundae I really adore.
    They’re happily stuck on the
    refrigerator door.
    Please know that I always will
    Be grateful to the wonderful Team at
    Turkey Hill.

11. Dani says:

Strawberry’s not usually my first pick, but that picture sure does make my mouth water! Of all days, today is a great day to indulge in something a little different, and to confuse random people along the way by wishing them a “Happy Strawberry Ice Cream Day!” :-D

12. Amy K Gross says:

Strawberry is actually a new flavor at my house. I’ve been married almost 15 years with 6 kids and always go for the fun crazy flavors. I brought strawberry home a couple of weeks ago, and now it seems that’s one of the two half gallons that I bring home. Amy

13. mary frey says:

moo to strawbreey cream; Our whole family loves strawberry ice cream, even the puppies.

14. Maryann says:

Yeah for strawberry! One of our favorites. Wish I had some now,just love those frozen chunks of strawberries. Thank you for the info.

15. Peggy Gavin says:

Sorry,Strawberry is not one of my favorites.

16. Cathy Cook says:

I can never go wrong with Strawberry…Happy Birthday Strawberry !

17. peg says:

Strawberry is my granddaughter’s favorite. However she is one of five in the family, so I buy neopolitan, so it goes around.

18. Susan Curran says:

when i was much younger,we would go to Sound Beach, Long Island NY from Brooklyn for the summers-there was a farm that we could walk to -Chereb Farms and they made homemade strawberry ice cream in June and homemade peach ice cream in late summer-they had a stand in Port Jefferson Station and I will never forget those flavors-sadly that is all gone for many years-and after chocolate-those flavors are still my favorites-Happy Birthday Strawberry Ice Cream!

19. Kathy Lyons says:

Strawberries go great with chocolate – how about a strawberry ice cream with some chocolate sauce running through it?YUM!

20. Lynn Bowen says:

Love Strawberry!–soo refreshing

21. Anna G. says:

Strawberry Ice Cream used to be my very favorite flavor when I was a kid. My Mom had an old Ice Cream maker and she would make us 5 kids a treat. Those were good old days and so was the strawberry ice cream. Gotta go get some, see ya.

22. Rosemary says:

I like strawberry ice cream but I don’t like the strawberry chunks in it. My favorite is Fudge Ripple. Turkey Hill is the best!!

23. Lorraine Pieloch says:

Strawberry Ice Cream brings happy memories of my maternal grandmother, Mary Kardell. This was her favorite. Thanks for making such a delicious product.

24. Marie Phelps says:

There is nothing better than a strawberry ice cream soda!!YUM

Just read you e-mail. Although I have had my daily serving of Turkey Hill Ice Cream, I know there is some down in the freezer and I am going down right now and help myself to more.

Forgot to mention it is strawberry down in the freezer.

27. Stefanie Schmidt says:

What a great flavor to celebrate. Strawberry is my favorite! Have a berry-liscious day!

28. Peg Cramer says:

Hello, fellow Turkey Hill lovers……another site for ordering
    metallic multi-colored ice cream bowls is Walter Drake.
    “Item #1019787 Compote Bowls Set of 6″ is clearance priced
    at $3.99. Regular price was $12.99.

29. Debbie F says:

Love fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate…why not a new TH flavor Chocolate Strawberry Cordial.

30. Lynda H says:

A city near ours in VA celebrate strawberry season with a strawberry festival in May every year. People come from miles and miles away to it. I love to go so I can have the good old home made strawberry ice cream which I really really like. I also like Turkey Hill strawberry ice cream.
    If anyone of the readers is interested the strawberry festival is held in VA Beach, VA on Memorial Day weekend.

so many berries, so few in ice cream, I wonder why?
    Strawberry is an excellent berry to have in ice cream, but what about blueberry, blackberry, boysenberry, rasberry, cranberry, gooseberry, chokeberry, and others.
    imagine the possibilities.

32. Dom says:

When I was a teen I used to caddy. One day on the road to the caddy house, My friend and I came across a 5 gallon container of strawberry ice cream which had somehow fallen from a delivery truck. Since it was a very warm morning and we were afraid the it melt, we used the cover as a spoon and proceeded to eat as much as we could before it melted. Wow!

33. Anne King says:

Have Strawberries and Cream ice cream in our freezer now; of course, almost gone! Delicious!

34. Eileen Lau says:

I just noticed that one serving of Turkey Hill Strawberry Ice cream only has 120 calories!!!! That’s less than most healthy low fat ice creams. And it’s my favorite flavor. Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35. Reverend Finney says:

Dear Turkey Hill,

May I thank u 4 making ur Ice Cream of such great quality, taste and affordability. I love to keep a fresh score in my freezer as well as the freezers of loved ones so that when I visit, we can share the love of my # 1 Strawberries and Cream (along with the butter pecan, butter almond, etc.)

36. […] 15 is National Strawberry Ice Cream Day. Why not enjoy some strawberry ice cream? According to Ice Cream Journal, the earliest ice cream flavors were vanilla-based with fruit mixed in. An early adapter of this […]

37. […] Gone-ta-Pott, Ice Cream Journal Be Sociable, Share! […]