THE TRUTH BEHIND THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING ICE CREAM PACKAGE

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on August 15th, 2008

Being the president of an ice cream company has its perks, but sometimes, I have to make tough decisions. One of those decisions was whether or not to decrease the size of Turkey Hill’s ice cream packaging.

I remember when buying a half a gallon of ice cream meant you actually brought home a half a gallon of ice cream. But times change. Today, the half gallon is extinct, and the new standard throughout the ice cream industry is 1.5 quarts. That includes Turkey Hill. Our containers used to be 1.75 quarts (56 ounces). At the beginning of the year, we began the shift to 1.5 quarts (48 ounces) for our Light Ice cream and Frozen Yogurt. In August we’re going to start changing over the Premium Ice Cream line.

The difference is about a cup of ice cream – roughly two servings – but it feels like more, doesn’t it? That’s why I struggled with the decision to downsize our containers. In fact, I resisted it for a long time. Longer than both our national brand competitors.

Contrary to what some may think, this is not a case of ice cream companies trying to deceive customers or yield huge profits. In the end, we had to do it. In our industry, and in many others, manufacturing costs continue to escalate. The costs of ingredients such as milk, cream, cocoa and sweeteners are also rising. So is the cost of packaging, fuel and labor.

Considering the circumstances, Turkey Hill was faced with three choices. First, we could use cheaper, lower quality ingredients to make what some companies call a “frozen dairy dessert” (that’s not ice cream,  in my opinion). Anyone who’s ever tasted Turkey Hill ice cream knows that wasn’t an option. Second, we could keep the containers the same size and raise the cost. That also wasn’t an option because raising the price would prevent Turkey Hill products from being able to compete for many grocery store sales promotions and everyday low cost programs. We also conducted focus groups and surveys, and our customers told us that raising the cost wasn’t something they’d like to see.

Instead, the overwhelming majority in our focus groups told us that keeping the price the same and decreasing the size of the package was the best answer, even if no one was really happy about it (including myself). It really is the most sensible solution, and one that will allow us to continue making ice cream in Lancaster County, instead of making it somewhere for less cost, and continue to use the premium ingredients that make our ice cream taste so good.

While we have reduced the size of the package we have maintained the quality recipes and selections of finest ingredients. We’ve also announced a small reduction in price effective October 6th to help stretch your dollar at the grocery store.

In the end, we hope you would agree with us that what matters isn’t the size of the package, but the passion of the people who make the product and the quality of what’s inside.

Quintin Frey
President, Turkey Hill Dairy

P.S. – More than anything, I want to know what you — our customers — think about this issue. Please feel free to offer your opinion by leaving a comment below.

165 Responses to “THE TRUTH BEHIND THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING ICE CREAM PACKAGE”

1. barry says:

thanks for the explanation. looks like you’ve been reading the blogs recently where the shrinking size was mentioned several times.

my initial reaction is: will you further reduce the size to 1.25 qts next year due to continued inflation, followed by a reduction to 1 qt a couple years later, and so on? and some point container reduction will have to stop, and prices will have to rise.

also–your coupons specifically mention sizes. some coupons have expiration dates over 2 years away. can we use a coupon with former sizes (full 1/2 gal, 1.75 qts) on the products with the new smaller 1.5 qt size? maybe you should stop putting exact sizes on coupons with far away expiration dates–use something more generic such as ‘over 1 qt’.

2. Thomas says:

I don’t buy it—we’ve been buying gasoline by the gallon for decades, prices go up and they go down, but we still buy it, still complain about it, but we know it’s a gallon. We all know prices go up, it just seems sneeky to lower the contents. Keep it at half gallon or whatever the standard and raise the price, you really are raising the price by lowering the content.

3. Peg Cramer says:

It is disconcerting now when I pay the same price for a “regular” container of one flavor as well as for a “smaller” container of another flavor. When all the containers are the same size, I doubt that I will get so agitated. (P.S. and it’s not just ice cream…the 5 oz. Hershey bar has shrunk to 4.25 oz. in the last month.)

4. Tim says:

Baloney! This is something I call the “13 oz. pound of coffee syndrome”, since the mid 70′s spike in coffee prices is when I first noticed it: When something gets too expensive, the industry involved decides to decrease the size of the packaging in the hopes that the consumer won’t notice the price increase. Even though it’s only hit ice cream recently, it’s been going on for a long time. I wish companies would let comsumers decide what they’d like to spend, rather than just copying other companies.

When I buy ice cream, I want to buy a half gallon, not 1.5 quarts, no doubt soon to be a quart. I’m not looking forward to the day when your ice cream is the size of Hoodsie Cups…

5. Stefanie Schmidt says:

Good things really do come in small packages. Thanks for always giving us great tasting ice cream Turkey Hill.

6. Maureen Edwards says:

As a mature person (senior citizen) our family has many ice cream gatherings. Our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren gather to enjoy the pleasures of life, ice cream. We would buy 6 half gallons of the most favorite flavors but now we must buy 12 containers. So we are spending more money then in the past to get enough for the family. It’s hard to spend more for less, so let the consumer decide what is best for them. Turkey Hill is great the product stands alone. Bring back the 1/2 gallon even if it is going to cost more. We the consumer will be there for Turkey Hill.

7. Robbin L. Netz says:

A cup of ice cream is two servings? O.K. do the math. That means 1/2 cup is a single serving. How many of you out there eat only 1/2 cup at a time?
    As far as the package size…we live in a constantly changing world whether we like it or not. At least you offer an explanation that is understandable. Do you purchase the containers from another company? If so, maybe the issue needs to be addressed with the company that maufactures the containers.

8. Susan C says:

not happy with the downsizing but realize that it is a result of our troublesome economy and applaud your decision to explain the same-too often manufacturers think that its customers are idiots and make changes without explanation causing resentment which will affect customer loyalty-keep the Turkey hill quality and the honesty-good point about the coupons

9. Patty says:

Quintin, thank you for your honesty.
    I’m in favor of keeping the size true to the original. You’re ice cream tastes like ice cream. It’s rich and creamy and I think it’s worth a little higher price for the 1/2 gal. size. As a consumer I’m getting tired of the sizes decreasing on everything. It would be nice to be told this is going to happen like you did, but of us when it comes to food products want the same sizes we alway had.

Companies do have a tough decision about whether to downsize their products or not. They are doing it all the time. Look at candy, crackers, cookies, etc. I don’t know if you can put gasoline in this classification. Even if you are paying the same price for less for Turkey Hill ice cream, if you enjoy the product then the price is worth it. If there are coupons out there, use them and save money.

11. alicelynne says:

Thank you for your straightforward honesty…and sharing on the blog. I will still buy Turkey Hill ice cream, but may stock up when I see it on sale.

12. carol says:

Well I for one am tired of the Companies all telling us they don’t have a choice when they certainly do have a choice to make less profits. So I for one thank you for I no longer buy any of the ice creams that have lower the weight of the containers and I am starting to lose weight now I will have a smaller package also along with saving money which I can use to fix up my outside packaging with a new look.
    Thank you for your concern about profits as it has helped me with my health also. To everyone who still allows companies to get away with short changing us enjoy your ice cream.

Personally, I’m torn between wanting the same, or lower prices, and also wanting the full half gal size containers. With it just me & my husband now, eating the ice cream,, I still buy the Turkey Hill,,,,but if a b/d party is coming up and I know I’ll be feeding a crowd, I’m looking for the bargains. I would be weighing the difference between a lesser amount at the same cost as the competitors, or spending more (How much more?) and getting more ice cream in one container. Decissions decissions

14. Debbie L says:

Truthfully, I hate the “downsizing” of items. Prices have risen outrageously and consumers are not as unintelligent as vendors may think we are.

15. Lorraine says:

At first I was not happy with the reduction in size. I felt that the ice cream companies were still charging the same and giving us less. No company ever stated that there was a reduction in size and why. I appreciate your explanation. It does make sense. The fact that you are going to reduce the price too is very good news. Thanks for keeping us informed. Thanks for the fine product you make.

16. Heather says:

I hate the downsizing of the product. If TH is a quality product, then a rise in price is something that the TH buyer will pay. I know TH held out from downsizing, but I am really disappointed and my loyalty is severely shaken now! I will only buy TH if I can’t find a comparable 56 oz brand. Besides with the revamping of new smaller packaging, there is an additional cost incurred by the company, no doubt also passed on to the consumer, making it feel like the companies are “trying to pull one over” on the consumer.

17. Margaret M says:

I appreciate your honesty instead of just hoping no one will notice the smaller size. We all know the price of everything has sky-rocketed and some consumers would pay more for something they like but not everyone. As was stated previously, most shoppers look for bargains and what they have coupons for so to keep your prices down, I’m all for the smaller container.

18. Lorraine says:

At first I was not happy with the reduction in size. I felt the ice cream companies were giving us less and charging the same. Thanks for your explanation – it all makes sense. Keep up the good work. Thanks too for the news about the forthcoming price reduction.

19. Hank says:

Everyone does not receive the Ice Cream Journal via e-mail. Some sort of announcement to the general public in regard to the smaller container would be great. You could also mention the future price reduction. This way everyone would know.

20. Raymond Werre says:

I know that you have to remain competitive, but you should look at other ways to save money. I now have to buy 4 containers to get the same amount that I used to buy three containers. You package your lemonade in both 1/2 and full gallon sizes and the gallon is cheaper than two half gallons. Maybe the answer is to find a gallon container which is rectangular and fits freezers better – I know round gallons use up too much room in the freezer. That way you could possibly keep costs down and still be competitive.

21. Don Gaus says:

I used to eat Edy’s ice cream and when they changed the size without decreasing the price, I decided to boycott their ice cream. I haven’t bought another Edy’s since then. That is when I switched to 100% Turkey Hill. Also, that is when T. H. became available in all the stores locally. Now I have to make a decision as to buying T. H. all the time, or look closer to the sales prices.

22. Ronald Fenstermacher says:

After reading the article that explained the decrease in size of Turkey Hill “half gallon” cartons, I am still not convinced that it had to be done. It seems that, in various businesses, raising prices is, for some reason, unacceptable. Anyone can understand that ingredients cost more now, but why shrink sizes (candy bars, canned goods, ice cream, etc.). Just raise the price. Soon, the “half gallon” will disappear in favor of the quart size. I would rather have you use your influence with your colleagues to resist size changes.

23. Earl Reppert says:

I too have to make the same decisions in my small business. Raising price is the only FAIR decision. Lowering quality or smaller packaging only creates a decptive envoirement!!!

24. Earl Reppert says:

Lowering quality and smaller packaging only creates a deceptive envoirement!!!

25. Gloria says:

Whatever needs to be done, I’m just glad you are not changing the quality of your product. I don’t like when companies change the recipe and call it new and improved or better tasting. Usually I like the old flavor, therefore, don’t buy the new product anymore.

Well, thank you for your honesty and trying to hold the line as long as possible. It used to be said that the only things that were certain in life were death and taxes. Now we could add getting less for our money everyday as a certainty. It’s not only your company but the whole industry. At least a gallon of gas is still a gallon (if the pumps are accurate)no matter the price. Where will it end?

27. Lois S says:

Of course I am not in favor of the smaller sizes, but still enjoy the TH ice cream. Put more and better coupons out to the public. Again, maybe my diet will be happy, but I’m not. I want it all.

28. Marian M says:

Alot of companies make smaller containers, make products from China & jepardise our health. Thank God TH is still made in AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. brenda says:

Good Morning to all Turkey hill Fans,
    Thank YOu President of Turkey Hill Ice Cream for been honest with us about the packages. I know it was hard doing what you had to do. “You did make the right Decisions”. I never had a problems with my coupon and the best thing I like about Turkey Hill is that in a National taste Test…Turkey Hill is still number ONE. Thank YOu for not lowing your ingredient to make the best ice cream. I can see why the decisons was hard. Now we know why… I will still be one of turkey hill fan. Please contunie to be Number One IN ICE Cream History. I know I won’t miss that one cup or 2 serving. I just make sure I have enough ice cream. There is one thing I like about your ice cream ….You make it from your heart and family in involved in the company business. Family mean a great deal to me. Turkey Hill fans and owner of turkey Hill ice cream had a great weekend.

30. Caroline says:

I know if you kept the 1/2 gal and raised the price while others reduced the size you will lose business. I remember when the 1 pound coffee was reduced to 13 ounces one company reduced the size of the can and had to go back to the old pound size can with the 13 ounces to compete. We, consumers are not the smartest since we look at the price per package not the cost per unit. An 1/2 gal. would now cost 33% more and would think better get brand x over brand y and save 1/3rd not knowing per unit both were the same.

31. Barbara Gaynord says:

I want a 1/2 gallon not 1.5qt come off it I am sick of everything getting smaller and smaller. It’s not fair to cut the amount of the package – you can’t serve the same number of people with a smaller package you are forced to buy two cartons and that don’t fit into the budget either.
    Don’t tell me to give smaller servings that is not acceptable my dishes didn’t get smaller and my family knows what size they want served not less – they welcome more but never -less a cup is a cup a gallon is a gallon

32. Kathy says:

I also appreciate your honesty with us. However, that does not make a real big difference at the grocery store checkout. I stopped buying Edys products when the package got smaller, and the product became Frozen Dairy Dessert. (what exactly is that anyway?) I have been buying Hood or Friendly products. At my store they are both 2 for 5.00, and both are Ice Cream. I understand the dilemma, but have my own finances to worry about.

33. Ethel says:

I will continue to buy TH, no matter the price. A wise shopper watches for sales and stocks up. TH keeps for months in your freezer if never opened.
    I just hate it when I cannot find our favorites all the time.

34. Jason Griffing says:

I love Turkey Hill and was happy you had not reduced the size of the package. It was obvious why and we consumers are not that dumb. Bring back the half gallon. I would still by two if on sale even if it was more than 2 1.5 quarts for sale now. I think I actually buy less now because before I would by two 1/2 gallons and now only 2 1.5 quarts. Ice Cream is a small luxury we all can afford.

35. Vonnie in VA says:

I really appreciate your honesty in explaning the decrease in package size. I think you definitely made the right decision, in lieu of cheaper ingredients and price increase. It’s not just ice cream, but just about every food item I buy has a smaller container. I don’t especially like it, but I’d rather have a smaller size than compromise the quality and price. Thank you Turkey Hill – you are still No. 1 in my book for quality ice cream and the way you run your company.

36. Ethel says:

I will continue to buy TH no matter what. A wise shopper watches for sales and stocks up when possible. TH will keep for months in your freezer if NEVER opened. I just hate it when I cannot find our favorite flavors.

37. mary frey says:

well, a lease you are honest ,in telling us what you care doing both cutting down in size and and prize.But I my self would pay the extra buck for your brand, and cut back else wear;

38. Adrian says:

Well, the slight reduction in size does not bother me in the least. The price is good and the product is better. If you keep making it, I’ll keep buying it.

39. Linda L. Leffler says:

I totally agree with TH president. Were I go for dinner on Sat. nights their plates got smaller, but the price is the same. Business is very competitive, I know I had a grocery store. TH has a great product and they must do whatever to keep up. I just buy more TH when it is on sale. Oh by the way, the containers fit in my freezer alot better. No matter what, I will not give up TH ice cream, because of the size, everything else is smaller. I’m with TH all the way. Linda

40. Mary Hugo says:

I just read your article and iam ok with you making the containers smaller and not highering the price. i don’t think its a big deal about what the size of the container is. i would like it this way because some time the containers can be to big and i can’t fit them in the refriguater and then i have to move stuff around to get the containers in the refriguater. And i have to tell you also that i just bought eddys ice cream [party cake] and i did not like the taste of if at all iT did not taste like the turkey hills that i usally buy, i thought i would try it out to see what the taste would be like it like. and it was by far not like TH ice cream i should have stay would TH ice creams party cake thanks for putting out great ice cream turkey hill that is why iam ok with the containers going small i don’t want you to change to ingreatans of your ice cream THANK YOU TURKEY HILL

41. Kathleen Giampetro says:

Ice cream was always a big treat in our home when I was growing up and continues to be now that I am approaching Senior Citizen status. It floors me that some have written that they prefer smaller packaging & continued quality ingredients but fail to aknowledge that the price remains the same except for a sale. Ice cream lovers of the world, UNITE! Smaller package, lower price! Prices should not be higher as a few months go by, either. Since I can’t afford steak, at least allow me to enjoy my ice cream!!!!

42. Cheryl Klinedinst says:

Please do not change the ingredients of any of the ice creams. I have been eating Turkey Hill since the early 70′s and there is no other ice cream that satisfies or tastes as good. Also, my 4 Jack Russell Terriers love the Peanut Butter Ripple or the Original Vanilla. Keep up the good work.

43. Marilyn Walker says:

I appreciate the explanation, although when I first noticed the downsizing a few years ago from 64 to 56 ounces I felt it was deceptive. And I still consider it deceptive. However, TH is making an effort to explain, unlike the competitors. I agree the new size fits in the freezer better. And I just tried the Junior Mints flavor and think you should make it a permanent rather than temporary addition to your line.

44. Kathy says:

Thanks for being honest about this size reduction at least. It’s true that most everything you buy has decreased in size and increased in price. The consumers, for the most part,are not fooled by this, but have to continue to buy food. I know I am now buying store brands instead of name brands on many things to save a few cents at least. I love Turkey Hill ice cream and will continue to buy it when the store offers it as a sale item and stock up then. I also think more coupons should be made available as an incentive to keep buying it.

45. Jeffrey says:

While I appreciate the honesty, it doesn’t go far enough. How about notifying the public when the package shrinks? Print an apology on the outside but let us know we are getting less for our money.

46. dan murray says:

a proper explanation and thank you for it. we buy th when on sale or when coupons are available and will continue to do so especialy during the winter season. during summer we usually go to a local ice cream emporium who happens to serve a quality product [ not th ]at very reasonable cost.life changes and we all must adapt,and i wish th the best of luck and a long and sucessfull future!! god bless

47. Kelly Grabey says:

My husband & I traveled to Australia 4 years ago and were amazed at what we found on their grocery store shelves. Everything was smaller – from the size of cereal boxes & instant potatoes to the height of papertowels. We took a roll of pictures just to prove to our friends back in the US how small the product packaging was “Down Under”. Even fast food sizes – “medium” was equalivant to our kids’ size Happy Meal. I’m not saying I’m happy with the smaller packaging of my beloved TH Ice Cream, but maybe we’re just catching up with the rest of the world …..

48. Rich Sherman says:

I would like to way in on the packaging issue, or should I say “lack there of.” When I grew up-back in the day- sixteen ounces was a pound of feathers, butter, corn, and yes even ice cream. A gallon was just that a gallon. Now, as Andy Roodney of Sixty Minutes might say, “well nothing appears what it use to be.” Even before the price of raw materials went up, manufactures were already adding such disclaimers as “contents by weight not by volume, or product may have settled.” I don’t doubt that every manufacturer is looking for unique ways to shave cost in order to increase their bottom line. However, when you do it at the expense of your coustomers’ pocket book, or brand loyalty your seriously treading on hollow ground.

49. Bert says:

Today, you gotta go with the flow. Too bad.

50. CAROL TRANO says:

Thank you for being honest about the downsizing of the carton…I will continue to buy Turkey Hill Ice Cream because of the quality ingredients and I am very grateful for the reduction in price that we will see in our grocery store…also, I am always looking for coupons in the Sunday paper, that would also help us loyal Turkey Hill customers a lot in this economy crunch we are going thru…

51. Susan says:

Quality is always better than quanity when it comes to ice cream. I really enjoy TH ice cream and the other lines TH produces because they are quality. I have had some of the other frozen desserts and would not pay the lower price per ouce for them because they can not compair to TH for the QUALITY. Perhaps we as a nation need to learn to appreciate the lucious flavor and savor it rather than going for the bigger is better package!

52. Jacqueline says:

It’s the way things are these days. I see the same thing happening with coffee, yogurt, etc. The cost of everything in the supermarket has increased. That’s because of many factors. However, everyone has bills to pay. Manufacturers can’t be expected to absorb the hit. So if smaller packages must exist, I agree it’s much better than skimping on quality.

53. Patti G. says:

I don’t like the idea of smaller packaging but prefer it to an increase in cost. I don’t think it would be deceptive marketing if you put a statement on the containers explaining the reason for your downsizing. I have seen the increase in dairy products in all other areas. I chose to buy locally when possible but find that the dairy farmers in New England are in a real bind and getting out of the industry in droves.
    I would rather buy less and see people in Lancaster County keep their jobs and maintain the same quality of product.

54. Paula says:

It’s refreshing to have someone offer an explanation rather than just change something about their product and hope we don’t notice. We have all realized the impact of changes in the economy, especially in the grocery stores. What we choose to buy is sometimes based on what we can afford. But I for one try to find simple pleasures to help take the edge off of a stressful work week. The superior quality and wonderful variety of flavors you offer truly make it worth the money. Let’s face it, we all have to make sacrifices in life.We could be doing a lot worse.

55. Judy says:

I appreciate the honesty of TH and agree with those who ask that you put a statement on the container. Many consumer don’t bother going to the web sites for the products they buy to get information unless they have a problem.

56. richardde49 says:

Your honesty is refreshing. The thing is,in these tough times,Turkey Hill coulde absorb some of the operating costs,and keep the true 1/2 gallon size. I bet the CEO or the President of Turkey Hill did not take a pay cut to help out the consumer. I challenge you to answer my comments////

57. Anne King says:

We understand. We will still ONLY buy Turkey Hill ice cream. My favorite is still Black Cherry and my husband’s is your light ice cream which is delicious.

58. florence says:

Eating smaller portions might be the right answer to downsizing. In our overweight society, a little “arm-twisting” might be what is required. It’s just sooo hard to do with Turkey Hill ice cream!

59. GES says:

Only ONE problem: this explanation comes a little to late, AFTER the shrinkage in package size and AFTER a number of consumers & groups have been complaining about the sneaky deception!!!

I prefer the smaller package as to an increase in price (still the same, either way, if you think about it). However, the smaller package works better for me….I have a tendency to eat too much! It is wonderful ice cream — don’t ever skimp on the terrific ingredients! Peanut Butter & Chocolate all the way!

I don’t like smaller packaging when companies just downsize without any explanation. It makes the consumer feel cheated. It is like the companies think we the consumers are too stupid to notice the smaller package for the same or higher price. I do appreciate the explanation it goes along way to understanding the reasoning for the smaller packages. But, pleas do not change the quality of your product. Thanks for the honesty :) .

We don’t buy cheap ice cream–so thanks for keeping the top quality ingredients.

63. Elena says:

I have mixed feelings over this issue. I love Turkey Hill the best – the flavors and quality are really great. But, I am a mother of four children, all of whom love ice cream as much as their parents. A smaller size container will not last long in my house, even with a smaller serving size per person. Also, we have a budget for food. If the packages get smaller, but cost the same, I am going to have to curb the amount of ice cream I buy and stick with other economical sweet treats, like homemade cookies, or skip it altogether. If gas prices can come down, why can’t other things do the same?
    Also, I want to add that I have seen actual 1/2 gallon sizes of ice cream. One was a a store in western Massachusetts, made by a company in New York. The other is a home delivery service for frozen foods. So, the 1/2 gallon is not completely extinct as mentioned, merely a very endangered species. I hope that Turkey Hill might rethink this decision and work towards preservation of a dearly loved treat!

64. Teri says:

Wow, you’ve really hit a hot button with alot of folks. While it is clear that many love T.H.I.C. and appreciate the choice to continue with your fine quality ingredients, it appears that a consensus will never be reached about the downsizing. Certainly it was a difficult decision to make however, I believe you made the necessary choice.

I DO like the smaller size.

For older couples and for those who live alone, this change could be a good one. More space saved in the freezer as well as less freezer burn on product that goes uneaten for a week or so.

Just keep those sales & coupons coming.

65. Pamela SHeppad says:

Yeah pretty soon there wont be anything available but Pints ..poor reasoning by the companies

66. arlene hartheimer says:

I can still be happy with less ice cream in the package. The goodness is what matters. I will love anyway.

67. Amy K Gross says:

I hate the smaller containers, because we have 6 kids and 1 on the way. I work in the supermarket, and am tired of the customers complaining. I don’t make products smaller and it’s not my fault prices are higher. My motto…you get what you pay for. TH goes on sale at least once a month. STOCK UP people. It’s not just ice cream that has downsized…everything has. No matter what the price of ice cream, people still love it and won’t stop buying it. Sorry I’m alittle disgruntled tonight…we had Breyers at a family get together. They live in PA too. :O Amy

68. Tina says:

I disagree with your reasoning for decreasing the size. You are in charge and you can do whatever you want. Did you ever think that if you were to keep the larger size,more people would buy your product because you did keep the large size. Just a few weeks ago I bragged about how Turkey Hill kept the same size. Turkey Hill has been my favorite ice cream for years, but, because of this, I think I will go back to the generic store brands, they’re still a true 1/2 gallon size. Please don’t give us excuses, you run the company and you can keep the larger sizes. You know that if you decrease sizes, people will need to buy more ice cream which in turn increases your profits. This size decrease and price increase is an industry scam and I’m greatly disappointed that you have caved to “peer pressure”. A very disappointed Turkey Hill fan.

69. Turkey Hill Team says:

Thank you to everyone for your feedback and (mostly) understanding on this issue. Like we said, it wasn’t an easy decision, but after weighing all of the options, it was the best option for everyone.

It’s nice to hear that so many of you agree with the decision we had to make. For those who don’t agree, thank you for voicing your opinion. All of your comments (positive and negative) are valuable and we appreciate every one of them!

70. Edie says:

I’ve noticed many changes of products being downsize (coffee, orange juice etc). Perhaps we should downsize the amount we consume at a sitting to prevent all the additional weight Americans are carrying.

I don’t like either a price increase or a smaller package but I think the smaller sizes were and are deceiving. Whose going to notice a smaller bar of soap (4.5oz vs 4.0oz). As a consumer very concerned with prices I really think these changes were intentionally sneaky. I don’t see how a smaller sizes or Turkey Hill are any different than a price increase when that’s exactly what it is. The price per unit is what matters to me. Yes I enjoy Turkey Hill very much but I’m also sticking with whatever brand offer the best unit cost. We’re all struggling. So higher prices just aren’t doable.

thanks for keeping Turkey Hill tasting so good.

73. KAREN says:

If only downsizing my body after eating too much ice cream was as easy …

74. Jan says:

I can understand your reasoning about making the packages smaller, and at least you had the guts to tell us about it. Most of the other companies such as the coffee companies, have been shrinking the packages for years, first they went to 13 oz and now are down to 11. The can is the same, just less coffee. I will still continue to buy Turkey Hill but probably not as much as my economics are facing a crisis as well.

75. Heidi says:

You do what you have to do to keep a business profitable without compromising the high standards you’ve worked so hard to be known for. Smaller boxes? Oh well, that much faster we finish one box and get to dig into the next one! By the way, you’ve outdone yourselves again with the Peaches and Cream! It’s so creamy that it’s hard to believe it’s one of your lower calorie choices!

76. Maryann says:

Thank you so much for informing your customers about the change. I would buy Turkey Hill in any size container. The quality is fantastic and so is Lancaster County. Thank you again!
    P.S. Im still looking for Junior Mint!!!

77. Erica says:

Uh, let’s face it, most Americans (myself included) should weight a bit less anyway so I say so what-you’ve still got the best ice cream, and lots of options!

78. Paula says:

I like the larger size box of ice cream and would buy this size over the smaller boxes because the more quantity you buy, the less expensive it is per unit of weight, considering the cost of packaging, shipping and other expenses of marketing.

79. Carol C says:

I personally appreciate your honesty, and integrity to your customers. In all fairness, EVERYTHING is getting more expensive, and it is hard to make ends meet. People have to decide for themselves what’s important. If you want cheap Ice Cream, or bread, or anything else, buy store brand. But if you want quality, stay with the brands you enjoy and cut back elsewhere. Just don’t criticize what others choose to do. (BTW – our stores do put a price per gallon on all the shelf tags to make it easier to compare)

80. Bradley says:

Glad to see your honesty about the changing package, but I would like to point out another major ice cream company that still has a traditional half gallon size. Blue Bell Creamery, based in Texas, is one of the best-selling ice cream brands in the nation, and their containers are still a full half gallon. Their ability to do so becomes more and more remarkable… and appreciated!

81. Wendy says:

I think all companies that are not forthcoming – be it ON the new packaging or making an announcement PRIOR to the shrinking of product sizes – are downright deceptive towards the consumer.

Why can’t you keep the same size and charge more? Everything is going up – so how is reducing the size, but charging the same price making consumers still feel all warm and fuzzy?

It’s just not an honest way of doing business.

82. Beth Katz says:

I love inexpensive yet high-quality ice cream. So I stock up when Turkey HIll is on sale. I also bought Junior Mint at full price when I found it. Ice cream at home is still far cheaper than that bought at an ice cream shop.

Pricing is a balancing act, and I think you’ve approached it wisely. When the normal “half-gallon” is priced above $5, that makes for a difficult sale. It’s a psychological ceiling like $4 gas. We cringe.

83. anne meyer says:

I am adimently opposed to the change in size of the ice cream “half gallon”, as I am with all the other products that are “shrinking” thier packages. I use lots of recipes that ask for the standard sizes such as 16 oz. can of.___ or 1 lb. of ___, etc It is more and more dificult to follow the recipes and also to make price comparisons of priducts. I appreciate your efforts to not change Turkey Hill ice cream, but am sad that you were force to give in and conform. I want my 1/2 gal of ice cream back!!! Thanks for listening.

84. Brian says:

This isnt about cost, its about moving upmarket and increasing brand cachet. Premium ice cream manufacturers such as HD and Ben and Jerry’s have known this for years and have been wildly successful with this model. Breyers has also done this. It turns ice cream from a commodity into a premium product that can command a premium price. I agree, however, that it isnt about improving the bottom line right away – though to believe that it isnt about profit is to be fairly naive – its about moving the Turkey Hill brand from “value” to “premium”, which is something that I am sure the Turkey Hill core market has noticed in small incremental steps over the past 10 to 15 years. Its interesting the way that this post frames the idea of increasing profit as a reaction to rising costs (good PR, Quintin).

85. heidi says:

please do not change the size….dont follow other companys. I cringe now when i go the the grocery store and see how everything is smaller, but we pay the same, if not more……..Stay true to your company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

86. joannie says:

while i would like the quanity and price to stay the same, i do realize it’s not possible. as a senior i live on a fixed income. however if i’m careful with my sale buying i can get turkey hill. it’s that or no icecream. it’s the greatest! thanks.

87. Janice says:

Thanks for not saying you did it because you cared about my health.

88. dolores says:

Mendacity, thy name is Turkey Hill. To your points:

>But times change.–no, mendacity. Corporations get greedier.

>the half gallon is extinct,–see above.

>The difference is about a cup of ice cream–nice try, but mendacity. It’s a pint TWO CUPS stolen from your half gallon to your ‘new’ 48 ounce ripoff.

>In fact, I resisted it for a long time.–that might be true, but I doubt it. At any rate, you didn’t resist long enough, obviously.

>Contrary to what some may think, this is not a case of ice cream companies trying to deceive customers or yield huge profits.–mendacity.

>In the end, we had to do it.–riiiiight, sure you did. No, you didn’t, you COULD have raised prices. More mendacity.

>Second, we could keep the containers the same size and raise the cost.–Mendacity. You did that by lowering the amount by a pint and keeping the cost at what it was for a half gallon. No lies, now, the charge in the supermarket is the EXACT same as it was for a half gallon. Remember, you can’t take it with you.

>our customers told us that raising the cost wasn’t something they’d like to see.–Mendacity. Focus groups, like polls, can be manipulated and the results can read exactly as you want them to. Want an honest focus group? Send me an email for your next one.

>the overwhelming majority in our focus groups told us that keeping the price the same and decreasing the size of the package was the best answer–riiiight, sure that was the answer. Do you have a bridge for us to buy too?

>It really is the most sensible solution blah blah et al the rest of your blather–Mendacity. Sensible for you, a hosing for your customers.

>We have also announced a small reduction in price effective October 6th to help stretch your dollar at the grocery store–wow, be still my heart.

>We hope you would agree with us that what matters is not the size of the package, but the passion of the people who make the product and the quality of what’s inside.–PR BS. In case you missed it, no I don’t agree. And I think you are greedy. And a prevaricator.

But hey, enjoy your greed, and your stolen dollars. Once more, don’t forget, you can’t take it with you.

Unless, of course, Turkey Hill finds a way to do that too.

P.S. I see you went all out for the free software Recaptcha too. Impressive.

89. Kris says:

Releasing this statement after the fact, and only in a blog is NOT being upfront and honest. It is called being caught red handed and scrambling to get out of it. I will give you credit for trying to explain(unlike most companies)….thank God for PR people right? This is a deceptive practice, unless you label your new packaging or do a vigorous advertising campaign ahead of time. It should be right there on the carton. I have been shopping by price per ounce etc. since I was a kid (when I don’t care what brand I get)…my Mom didn’t raise a dummie…but when you have been buying a product for years because you like it, then find out that the package shrunk but the price remained the same, you feel taken advantage of. You have lost my trust. There are still honest companies out there with good tasting products with good ingredients, and I will happily pay more. People, don’t be snowed by this PR racket. It insults our intelligence.

90. dolores says:

>>People, don’t be snowed by this PR racket. It insults our intelligence.

Exactly, Kris. The letter from the president sounded like just that, political jabberwocky.

Sad part is, Kris, all the ice cream manufacturers are jumping on this crooked bandwagon. Heck, Dove even downsized their PINT to 15.1 ounces! Did you notice that Turkey Hill has now taken to putting out pints, which if you do the math will give you a $6.00 half gallon at our local supermarket. Quite a bargain, eh?

I’ve checked, and aside from the sub-par store brand ice cream, the ONLY 56 ounce brands still being put out are by Friendly. I’m sure they too are watching this space, and will borrow the president’s bogus words to put on their website soon and will also be selling less product for the same money shortly.

Oh, and have you checked all the other products out there? Same deceptive packaging and no lowering of price. But hey, what are we going to do about it?

Exactly.

91. Michael Dupuis says:

I don’t buy it! His answer, you know. Just check out how much profit the company made last year and you will have your answer. Turkey Hill was one of the most economical ice creams on the market, now it is the same as the big company’s, only they offer coupons and sales. Now is the time to switch to them. With all the lost sales and lower profits maybe they will know that they made a big mistake.

92. Michael Dupuis says:

Someone wrote that this is a positive, and that the smaller package is better for you. That is a crock. I will tell you what is better for you, just eat salad and skip the ice cream. I don’t need a money hungry CEO to tell me and my kids that smaller is better. Now I have to buy 2 so called half gallons to feed my kids a treat. Its time to switch to Blue Bell for a true half gallon. What a sneaky trick.

93. susan says:

sorry-we won’t be purchasing your ice cream anymore. When purchasing for a family your changes mean fewer servings per container so more purchased at increased cost and increased packaging in the trash.
    Friendly’s and some other brands seem to be bucking this trend and will have our family’s business

94. dolores says:

“With all the lost sales and lower profits maybe they will know that they made a big mistake.”

I hope so. I still see TH on ‘sale’ at the supermarket (i.e., at the exact same price the half gallon used to be on sale for but the poor schlubs actually think TH in the disappearing 48 oz. size is on sale) and some people buying it. I do my best to let them know what TH pulled on them. Some care, some don’t.

Hey Quintin, is this the reaction you hoped for? I notice you haven’t come back here since Aug. 15th. A blog, in case you didn’t know it, is for back and forth conversation.

So, what say you? How do you defend your heist?

Oh, by the way, folks, I saw a 5.3 oz. yogurt container. Guess that 6 oz. down from 8 oz. was too much for the customers to carry home. Don’t think the 32 oz. Turkey Hill ‘half gallon’ isn’t on the horizon.

95. Robert Ritzer says:

Pathmark’s premium brand is AT LEAST as good as TH’s, and their package still is a full half gallon vs. TH’s 48 oz. If on sale, Pathmark’s brand costs $1.99; if on sale, TH’s costs $2.49. Both compute to .03125 cents per oz. However, Pathmark hasn’t tried to fool the public like TH with its silent change to smaller packaging. Even the recent coupons that TH recently sent me still refer to 56 oz. packages being available. That’s either a broad lie or a strong attempt to deceive the public.

96. Peter Hoagland says:

Along with many of your customers, or should I say ex-customers, I have not purchased Turkey Hill since you made the mistake of downsizing. You could have kept the 1.75l package and sold on better value and had an advantage over your customers. But no greed prevailed.

97. David S says:

Ok here’s the truth:

At my local Turkey Hill with the 1.75 sized cartons the special was 2/$6.00

Now that the 1.5 is out, it is down to 2/$5.00

So why the shrink? It certainly wasn’t to keep prices the same. What I don’t understand is why ALL the ice cream companies colluded to do this all at once. It is insane!

Next year someone will go back to 1.75 and claim “BIGGER BETTER!!!”

Plus the main reason for the shrink is ‘gas prices’ and they are back down as of this week to HALF what they were when the shrink occurred.

I no longer buy Turkey Hill ice cream or any of the shrinked versions. There is a GOOD ice cream in my area – Leiby’s and they sell full 1/2 gallons! I buy them now. BYE BYE TURKEY HILL!!

98. Peggy Smith says:

I have had it with the constant downsizing of products. Turkey Hill is ripping off its customers and using a lame excuse for doing it. Why not keep the same size container and use it as a selling point? As it stands, I will not go along with this scam and will not buy Turkey Hill ice cream in the downsized containers. You have lost me as a customer and after reading the comments, I can see I am not alone.

99. Darrell McComber says:

I completely agree with the comments here critical of the shrinking carton size. No question that Turkey Hill makes a quality product but at some point we say “Enough is enough.” When this happened, our family made a pact to boycott the brands who shrunk the carton size one too many times. If Turkey Hill decides to show some leadership and integrity and buck the trend, we’ll consider supporting them once again.

100. dolores says:

Robert, try Blue Bunny ice cream. It’s the same size as the new, ‘improved’ reduced for your own good Turkey Hill, but it’s better ice cream by far.

David S., of COURSE you are correct. The crooks at Turkey Hill THOUGHT they could fool all of the people all of the time. Happily for them, they still have none too bright customers who will pay the half gallon price for a quart and a half, but hey, more power to the crooks.

Hey Quentin, did you see this video on CNN? Even the media now knows you are crooks. Rock on, Quentin. Caveat emptor, right?

101. Al Block says:

It isn’t right and Turkey Hill knows it. The answer is to simply not buy their products. Our family stopped when they went to ridiculous 1.5 size carton. There are plenty of good alternatives around.

102. i8alot says:

Disappointing that you gave in to the perceived “peer” pressure within the industry and couldn’t find the originality or integrity to make a stand, and be honest from the outset with the consumers. This token backpedalling apology is a transparent public relations maneuver. Insulted, and no longer a customer.

103. Ethan says:

Of course we would all like to have the largest quantity for the same price? But then, we aren’t in charge, or are we? Previous posts have stated that Quintin is the man in charge and he can decide if the carton should be shrunk or kept the same. I disagree. The market determines price (thats basic Economics) the market also determines the products that are produced and sold (and the sizes they are sold in)! I don’t think Turkey Hill came to this decision lightly – they knew they would make a lot of people angry, why else would they have this post? I’m sure they did plenty of research and determined that they would loose more customers/sales by keeping their carton size the same – that means the MARKET determined the size of the carton, by the way, the market is you and I, the consumer. We can choose to buy quality or quantity – I for one, choose quality.

One other thing, with prices rising which one of us doesn’t want to be paid more this year than we were paid last year when prices were lower? Of course we all want a raise if not only to compensate for the rise in prices… its the same for corporate America, prices, demand, quantity and quality all change, we either adapt or die.

104. Lester Marshall says:

Ethan, it isn’t a question of quantity over quality. The shrinking cartons are not higher quality. It is a question of integrity.

But Quintin Frey is not the man in charge. Turkey Hill is owned by Kroger and that tells you all you need to know about where this decision was made.

I met one of the Wegmans execs at a store grand opening recently. I asked him what he thought of this downsizing in ice cream and he agrees that companies like Turkey Hill have really misplayed this one. He said that is why they still offer the larger cartons in their own brand of ice cream which is excellent btw.

There are good alternatives folks.

105. Denise Mauro says:

Do you realize by making a smaller package you are using more packaging – Hello!! And it takes up more room in the freezer. And you have to go to the store more often to buy more. If your family eats a lot of ice cream, the 1.5 size in ridiculous. I rather pay more for what we had, then pay more for an inconvenience.

106. dolores says:

Al Block, there are sadly no other choices in the Northeast.

The last holdout, Haagen Dazs, has decided to follow Turkey Hill in thievery and is lowering their ‘pint’ to 14 ounces, all the while graciously keeping the same price, therefore raising it.

Blue Bell is THE only holdout in the U.S. who has decided not to hose the loyal consumer and take advantage of the stupid consumer who pays more money for less product. Hopefully they too will not give in to greed, but that remains to be seen.

The sad part is, Blue Bell is only in the South and Southwest. All of the ice cream manufacturers selling less quantity for more money are located in the Northeast, where the consumer is stupid and the ice cream manufacturers are theives.

Has anyone else noted that Quintin didn’t bother to personally address his loyal consumer at all since his original pronouncement?

What do you think, guilt? Or just enjoying his thirty pieces of silver?

Fortunately, ice cream is NOT one of the major food groups.

107. Peter Hoagland says:

Dolores, while the greedy brands like Turkey Hill have gone to 48 ounces, some of the store brands like Wegmans and HarrisTeeter (which are excellent) have stayed at 56 ounces and I am told they will remain there.

To your point about Mr. Frey, perhaps he thought his song and dance would dazzle his customers. But clearly they aren’t buying it.

Hey Mr. Frey, how are sales?

108. Nate says:

I am going to trust Mr. Frey that he is making the best decision for Turkey Hill. Most of us don’t know what it takes to run a business and even more of us don’t know simple terms like “profit”, “cost”, etc. Why don’t we let Mr. Frey do what he does best – run an ice cream company. Until you run your own ice cream company, it may be better to keep your mouth shut.

109. Mason Cannon says:

Turkey Hills says: “In our industry, and in many others, manufacturing costs continue to escalate. The costs of ingredients such as milk, cream, cocoa and sweeteners are also rising. So is the cost of packaging, fuel and labor.” Huh??? Costs of everything associated with the food industry are DOWN right now. Ingredients, packaging, fuel and labor – all down. None of this makes sense other than Turkey Hill trying to increase profits when the general public are losing their shirts in a faltering economy. Turkey Hill clearly isn’t alone with this approach. I buy Kroger’s house brand of ice cream, like it very much, and have seen them downsize from 2 quarts to 1.75 quarts to the most recent 1.5 quarts – all within about a year. The idea that the “price hasn’t changed” is clearly part of the problem. Of course the price has changed folks. We’re paying more for our half gallon, we’re just not purchasing it all at once now. In my profession in this economy, I couldn’t offer my “product” in this manner (I work in the transportation management field). My customer’s would demand to be charged less – and I would comply. They have less money to spend (as do I). I simply earn less, just like everyone else right now. The offset is that most things cost less. I can tell you that diesel fuel prices are WAY WAY down. Transportation costs aren’t about fuel alone. I can tell you that trucking companies are earning ALOT less now because they are not able to charge as much for their services (I know this because I pay them). I can’t speak with specific experience about the costs of ingredients, packaging and labor, but I cannot imagine the situation could be significantly different than it is for transportation. I’ll try to be PC here, but we all know that we have an almost endless supply of cheap labor now, and within the food industry, capitalization of this labor resource is most prevalent. So two major ingredients affecting TH’s decision – transportation costs and labor are very questionable. I would gather the other factors are probably questionable now as well. Anyway, I’m really disappointed that you’d reduce your package sizes and not just increase the price on the old package sizes. We’re paying more either way, so what’s the real difference? You’re creating a reputation of deception for your company. Really pitiful.

110. Scott says:

Wow, what a load of crap. They charge the same for the smaller package as they did for the bigger. Therefore they are still raising the price. So there is absolutely no reason to shrink the product. If you’re going to raise the price than raise it and leave the size alone. Everything is shrinking from orange juice to ice cream to canned vegetables and soups. They think if they gradually shrink the packages no one will notice and they’ll get by with it. Pretty soon it’ll take four cartons of ice cream to fill an ice cream cone. Well, there’s an ice cream place not to far from me that sells a half gallon for the same price as the tiny little cartons in the store and they are far better than anything Turkey Hill pumps out.

111. Suzanne Gerard says:

I have talked with many friends and read these many comments on the blog. The theory that people preferred to have smaller cartons does not seem to be upheld by those who have expressed their own opinions absent the skewed questions on poll.

If you had wanted simply to accommodate those who wanted a carton that was more than a pint and less than a half gallon, a quart, with its own pricing, is the obvious, honest answer. I love your original, natural chocolate ice cream but I don’t love the excuses and half truths used to explain the deceptive packaging. I may have to start churning my own ice cream in order to have an honest product with wholesome ingredients without corporate mumbo-jumbo.

112. Peter Hoagland says:

The reason Turkey Hill lowered the price is that their sales are in the tank. So after claiming that they shrunk the carton because the price of ingredients was soaring, now they claim they can lower the price?

It is a big fat lie.

The only time I still bring Turkey Hill hoe is when Wegmans gives it away for free. I have not purchased a carton ever since they reduced the carton size a second time.

113. gene yau says:

Turkey Hill Neopolitan Ice Cream 1.5 quart size
    LOT #l2/53 expiration: 4/14/10 purchased in Lodi, NJ ShopRite.

Let’s talk about deceptive advertising. On the picture of this container, you will see vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream in equal sizes split in thirds.

When you open the lid, it’s more like 1/2 vanilla and 1/2 strawberry with a chocolate strip in the middle.

This is clearly cheating. I will be addressing this to the appropriate weights and means commissions.

If Mr. Frey is reading. Please address this issue.

114. Paul Stoltzfus says:

Something doesn’t compute. Can’t raise prices? Shrinking packaging and keeping the price the same IS RAISING PRICES. I feel slightly insulted. 2 boxes used to be enough for our family. Now we go with 3 boxes to cover the hungry bases. The upside is we get 13% more ice cream for 50% more money and 1 extra flavor.

PS. My advice. Make the “half gallon box” 2.5 quarts. Price it what it is. Your ice cream IS remarkable, I don’t want it to be cheaper – not really. Be generous and I will buy generously. And tell my friends by having it at all our birthday parties. AND when my wife asks, “why do you buy the more expensive kind?” I will boast, “Honey, we got MUCH more ice cream for our money.” It’s easier for me to streeeetch the value proposition than to explain the shrinking package for the same price. To myself and to my wife. And you would be selling me 5 qt. instead of 4.5 qt. Irrational indeed – and true.

115. Vic Baffa says:

The cost of goods decision was made during an unusual economic time due to higher distribution and raw material cost. Generally it takes months to reformulate and repackage a product BUT
    everybody knows that the production of any produce in a larger size is generally much more cost effective. The product size decisions were made when fuel cost were the highest ever and farm costs especially feed stock was out of control. We now are in a complete reversal of that trend and possibly might not see farm prices like that for some time to come. The raw material for ice cream aside from sugar, flavorings and such is milk. The bulk milk farm price to supplier is probably the lowest in twenty years. So the panic decision to reduce sizes of retail packaging to keep bottom lines in check is now reaping pretty good profits. With retail gallons of whole milk the some locations at $1.29 its almost like the depression when farmers dumped milk rather than get nothing. I noticed the change last year as did everybody else. Im curious what has happened to sales? I suspect that certain brands are sitting in the case.
    So much for saving the bottom line. I have stopped buying many of the brands I used to buy. They have become a lousy value. Why not go back to the original size and spend a few bucks to advertise back to the old original package and make everyone happy. Coke was fast to realize their mistake a few years ago and many more consumers realize when a bad decision is made. Customer buying habits show that. Its interesting that the fastest growing segment is house brands in all markets. Standard sizes lower prices. Turkey Hill is still one of the finest house brands in food service but please dont continue to talk about the past lets look to the future of what can still be a wonderful product.

116. Mike Maloney says:

Why can’t you compete? Hershey Ice Cream has dealt with this why can’t you? They have a superior product and have a true half gallon. Yes they are not the cheapest brand but like anything else you get what you pay for. You changed the packaging and didnt say anything about it hoping no one would realize it.

117. Pat Martinez says:

Mr. Frey, 118 comments with the overwhelming majority being negative about TH shrinking the carton size. Seems like you are not listening or just don’t care what your customers think.

118. Greg Menton says:

Wegman’s has also gone with the trend, unfortunately. Their containers are now 1.5 quarts also. Safeway Select has recently retro’d back to a larger size with some of their flavors, at a considerably higher price, of course.
    Walgreen’s ice cream remains at 1.75 quarts, The only brand that I’ve seen that has retained the full half gallon for their entire line is Shopper’s Value, which is edible, but no more than that.

119. GBell says:

Mr. Frey, I certainly hope you didn’t pay anyone to conduct that focus group. However, if you did, I would demand my money back; the consensus is overwhelming. Caveat emptor!

120. Timber says:

Making the package smaller and keeping the same price IS raising the price, dingus.

121. Ray Hand says:

I have read the comments from disgruntled consumers (I would have said customers but I feel they may no longer be). One subject that was not addressed is the fact that pretty much all of the major brands have followed suit. This sounds like collusion on the part of Ice Cream Manufacturers since it takes a long time from decision making to implementation. Filling machines have to be recaculated, suppliers of cartons have to be notified of the change in sizes, etc. It seems to me that Dreyers/Edies led the way and the rest of the industry followed. I for one would have preferred to have the option of buying a half gallon and i have done so with the local brands offered by the various Grocery Stores (Big Y , Super Stop & Shop, Kroger) which probably means that Turkey Hill/Hood/Breyers/ are manufacturing under their labels. Have you ever considered offering Half Gallons with the necessary price increase to determine if there is a “market” for such a move? The retail price of ice cream rose from about $2.75/half gallon to $5.79/1.5 Qts. I know you do not determine what supermarkets sell your product for but I have personally bought ice cream at Big Y in Massachusetts for “Buy One Get 2 Free” on a number of occasions which calculates to less than $2.00 per 48 oz. What a mark-up there must be in your business.
    I congratulate you on answering emails promptly and efficiently even though I may not agree with what I read from you.

122. Ben says:

You have a great product. Unfortunately, I predict a move to a 1.25 quart in the near future while keeping the price the same. I understand the need to keep costs low, with union demands, taxes, rising cost of supplies…etc…

Just remember, at some point, you will price yourself out of the market. I haven’t bought real ice cream in years and was frankly pretty shocked at what the price is. Unfortunately (for you and others), I foresee a positive movement in the country to healthier eating. This would price quality products such as yours, out of any but the local market.

I’m ok with that.

123. John says:

I think that you should go back to the larger (64 oz.) package. If you analyze the packaging costs per ounce of product, you will find that the larger the package, the lower the packaging cost per ounce. Also, those of you who use a cylindrical container rather than a ‘brick’ shaped container will use less cardboard than the brick, given the same volume. (Spheres are the solid shape that have the lowest ratio of surface area to volume of any solid shape. Unfortunately, packaging butter brickle (my favorite) in a sphere is impractical.)

124. Ed says:

Thanks for addressing a subject that has been very frustrating to me when I shop for ice cream. As a teen in the 90′s I worked for a super market chain and worked in the frozen department. My favorite job was to pack out the ice cream, the true half gallons. And of course Turkey Hill was a customer favorite as well as a personal favorite. I’d personally stock up on half gallons every time they would go on sale.

I understand it’s a business decision downsizing the packaging. But I’m curious who started it? If no one shrunk their packaging, but instead raised the price of their ice cream do you think people would still buy ice cream?

Is it possible to have another limited line of ice cream that truly is a half gallon with the most popular flavors?

Oh I miss the days of $2.99 for a half gallon of Turkey Hill Neapolitan!

Keep up the great work!

125. Don says:

I have watched the shrinking containers in the stores and am not happy abut it. While I understand the logic of competitively positioning your product, my family’s appetites do not shrink with your packaging. Further, I take issue with your statement to continue using only the finest ingredients. Substituting Corn Syrup for sugar may yield cost savings for Turkey Hill, it was the end of my purchasing your product. Reason: Corn Syrup is a trigger for one of my children’s asthma, albeit an unusual one, it is not one we mess with. I did notice Turkey Hill began producing Corn Syrup free packages marked with black tops. Sadly these flavors are few in number, but they are the only Turkey Hill packages they enter my house.

126. STELLA BAKER says:

I AM HAPPY I ASK ABOUT THE SIZE BECAUSE NOW I UNDER-
    STAND WHY YOU HAD TO DOWNSIZE

127. Judi says:

That was a nice explanation, but the price of ice cream still went sky high and like some of the others commented, by making it smaller it is still the same as the price going up for less.

It is a lot more inconvenient to have it be less, the fact that it was half a gallon just seemed to fit in better.

It very definitely has felt like a deception.

128. Donna McLaren says:

I was actually deceived by Breyer’s “Frozen Dairy Dessert” fake ice cream fraud, and brought their disgusting product back to the grocery store for a refund. I ended up checking all labels after that and left the store that day with Turkey Hill. Thank you for still making the real stuff!

129. Sarah Elizabeth Payton Jesse says:

I’m happy about the size decrease. A half gallon is way too much ice cream for our family of three. Larger families can buy multiple containers if they really need it.

Since I usually buy Ben & Jerry’s anyway, paying less for 1.5qt containers feels like a steal.

130. james clark says:

your statement that you couldn’t keep the sizes as they were and raise the prices because of the competitors reduction in size, only reinforces the fact that all the ice cream producers got together to agree to the decision to reduce these sizes and fool the public into thinking you were holding the prices, the entire food industry should be held accountable for its deception.The only reason why it takes awhile to reduce the size of the container is the inherent cost on the production line to inject a new size container and not because you are worried about the effect it has economically on your customers

131. Don says:

What is next for the American consumer? A 30oz quart of milk, 11 eggs in a dozen, or maybe 15 oz of your favorite kind of luncheon meat. This whole concept of smaller packaging is because we Americans are some of the most unintelligent consumers in the world. Try telling a German that he can no longer get 1/2 liter glass of his favorite beer, instead he is going to get .42 liters. By now you get the point. We are buying less and paying the same. I would rather pay more and get the same!!!!!

132. mark caine says:

It doesn’t fly to throw in packaging costs to the explanation.
    The savings realized when you down size the package from 2 qts to 1.5 qts is miniscule. You reduced the package size by 33%. What was the package cost reduction?
    The truth is, you are being very “ungreen” when you put less product in a package that has roughly the same carbon footprint as the the larger package

133. Pam Anchor says:

It’s not the most sensible solution because it’s deceiving to customers (especially the ignorant ones).

I’ll stick to store brand…UNTIL they do the same thing…

134. King Ken says:

Interesting…when this “Editorial” was originally penned, Turkey Hill’s President stated “that’s not ice cream” when mentioning how others are switching to “Frozen Dairy Dessert.” However, now Turkey Hill offers “Frozen Dairy Dessert” products of its own now. Cookies and Cream…and “Junior Mints” to name a couple.

135. jeff says:

I still don’t like it as an industry wide decision. As a single company decision I can see how you would like the same pkg size as the competitor. Smaller coffee pounds, smaller coffee cups, smaller candy bars and ice cream, smaller cereal boxes and crackers etc… All for the same price. It just stinks of deception.

136. jeff says:

PS. Corn Syrup is not an all natural nor a quality ingredient

137. tom says:

Thank you for helping my family and i give up eatting ice cream. We have now quit eatting it all together. Not only is it better for our health but saving us money. I am doing well without it. While i understand cost issues etc. Having been a senior scientist and technical manager at one of the most admired fortune 500 companies,
    I sm not buying this either. Hard to accept it costs twice as much to deliver a gallon if ice cream to the consumer than it foes a gallon of gas.
    Oil- explore, find, drill. Ship often from far off counties, ship to refineries, refine, shop to distributors, to retailers, and then add federal taxe, state taxes and whatever else at right now lets say $3.60 pet gallon to the consumer.
    Ice cream suppliers are closer, dairy farms are all over the US and ib fact ice cream companies could own their in herds. Gotta be cheaper than obtaining
    Oil. Mixing ingredients and processing has to be less than the costs of producing gasoline. Can’t increase the volume of gasoline by whipping air into it like ice creams. Taxes ib ice cream are just a fraction of that wr pay on gasoline. Etc.etc.
    Sorry, Im not buying the explanation nor ice cream either.
    These are only my thoughts and beliefs. I could be wrong, but i think there may well be another explanation……one we haven’t heard yet.
    Now I’m ice cream free and back on the tried mill with two gallons og gasoline ‘in my pocket’. Conclusion i have is we’re better off without ice cream anyway. I’ll keep my my investments where they are and forget through ice cream business all together. Too bad though, i really did love ice cream! Bye

138. [...] That’s right, Breyer’s just introduced the flavors this spring. As of this writing, it’s at the front of the Breyer’s homepage. I don’t know why the licensing went from one company to another. The prices are comparable, and both containers are 1.5 quarts (remember when ice cream came in half gallon containers?) The president of Turkey Hill ice cream discusses the changes in the industry in this 2008 blog post. [...]

139. Ruby Diana says:

Ice Cream isn’t that good for us anyway, so if the container is smaller, it’s worth the savings on our health! So, BRAVO, for keeping us in shape, without intending to do so!

140. Onqua Cole says:

Ahhh thanks turkey hill big-wig.You’ve managed to convince some people with your line of BS about down sizing containers so you can still deliver quality ice cream.I for one aint buying it,because like gasoline, ingredient prices flucturate also.So summer time I should expect to pay more for ice cream than in the winter.I cant wait until Burger king and Mcdonalds start telling us consumers that beef and flour prices are rising and they can only give us the bottom piece of the bun so in order to still deliver us a great burger they just cut our hamburger in half….because after all the consumer comes first.

141. Mark says:

Oh so I see, let’s create even more packaging to throw into the landfills to destroy our planet even more! Oh but who cares about the environment, as long as you’re making money. What a weird world we live in.

142. don says:

since your ice cream… especially black cherry is starting out like chobani….started small and is now growing fast because of its quality….if i owned turkey hill, to make my standout icecream stand out even more i would certainly go to a full half gallon and advertise this fact….imo turkey hill ice cream will become the standard if merchandised properly

143. Glenn Fisher says:

The switch to the “1.5″ gallon has irritated me to no end, and still does. Whenever possible I will purchase product from companies (there are a few left) still packing in the original half gallon container. Costs go up, fine charge more. Don’t bait and switch and play games.

BTW – mfg costs up, etc. Environment. Seems like smaller packages would end up producing more waste as you have to buy more containers to end up with the same quantity of product.

Bring back the half gallon, I will notice and likely take a look at your product.

My two cents.

144. RON says:

i see that many stores only sell 1.5 or 1.75….only blue bell, which i now buy occasionally, because i refuse to buy the smaller containers..its like going to 7/11 when you buy the smaller ones….contrary to the new stanard, it will never be my stanard….i buy gallons too, and i buy costcos 1/2 gallons…when you have people to feed.. .what in the world would you want to buy these small contaniers….

145. Kalman says:

what about leaving the container size at 1 quarts but remove all the stupid advertising on it. I know it is ice cream in the container I do not need a picture of rainbows and unicorns on the cover to entice me. I like their brand of ice cream and so does many other people. Keep costs down and keep the packaging simple. Ice Cream and ingredients.

146. Kalman says:

amendment…..that was suppose to be 2 quarts!!! damn you keyboard!!

147. RCC says:

You claim that “raising the price” wasn’t an option. But, that is EXACTLY what you did. We are now paying MORE for LESS product. This is what’s known in the consumer advocate world as the “grocery shrink ray”.

148. I find it hard to belive that companies such as yours and the others think that consumers are not aware of your tactics. Bring the half gallon back and price it any way you want too some one will buy it.I used to be brand orientated now I go with whoever has the best deal. There is a company that sells the half a gallons that is the one i go with.

149. Blue Bell on their ice cream containers “in bold letters” stipulates “still a half gallon” so what’s with all of the rest of you ice cream makers!

Who do you think is going to get me to buy their product?

Most people don’t pay attention in good times but in bad times we are forced to and Blue Bell will come out on top as more people become wise!

150. Jim says:

I will not buy any product from any companies that gives you less

151. Chris says:

Yeah, that’s what all companies say. Manufacturing, shipping, and production costs. As a business those are there anyway. Another excuse to rip off the public. Did you pre-warn the consumer that because of costs, package content would now be smaller, or just let it slide in under the door and hope people wouldn’t notice?

152. Deceit Not Required says:

I’ve never heard of Turkey Hill Ice Cream. Must not be available in my area (just like Blue Bell). I grew up on Breyer’s ice CREAM. I made it to adulthood and continued being loyal to Breyer’s. Then one day, I notice that the packaging is smaller in comparison to their rivals. Upset, I didn’t purchase it. I switched to another company.

I started shopping around, because I missed having Breyer’s, but I wasn’t about to pay $6.99 for 1.75 quarts! Suddenly I noticed that most other ice cream companies were following Breyer’s reduced packaging concept. Eventually I tried Edy’s and was satisfied with them. They hadn’t (at the time I started purchasing them) reduced their packaging, and they were (IMO) comparable to Breyer’s.

One day, Breyer’s was on sale, so I decided to try it again. It was HORRIBLE. Then I noticed on the package that it stated “Frozen Dairy Desert.” I thought, “WHAT!?” What happened to “All Natural Ice Cream?” I haven’t bought Breyer’s since. I now only buy Edy’s if I’m buying ice cream in the store. I recently found a grocery home delivery service. I bought a couple of their ice creams (1.75 quart size). It’s not great, but it does satisfy, and I get it delivered to me.

I do wish companies would return to 1/2 gallon sizing and just charge a dollar or two more. As other posters have said, we are paying higher prices, we’re just getting less for our dollar, and all because these companies think that we’re too stupid to see what they’re really doing.

Someone above also mentioned Costco and buying their 1/2 gallon ice creams. It must depend upon your region, because at my Costco, we only get 1 gallon containers, and the only flavors they provide are Chocolate sometimes, and Vanilla. Not what I normally buy when I buy ice cream, and I don’t need a full gallon. But it’s a good idea if those are the flavors you usually buy, and are looking for a deal. Costco quality is pretty good.

153. Jim says:

I think it’s time people should start to boycott all products from all companies that do this. So what if the cost of producing the products go up, just raise the price don’t give less product. Everything else go’s up. The way I see, it you give less and charge me the same price or maybe more right away I’m going to think, hay what the XOXO is going on hear. I’m getting ripped off. I can’t believe the CEO’S of companies that do this can’t see that, or maybe they do and just don’t care because the think people will buy it anyway. But if everyone would stop buying the product’s maybe they would change there minds.

154. With an increase of expenses everywhere, there has been a decrease in the quantity of the foods available in the market. This is the real scenario existing these days.

155. Ben says:

You shouldn’t mess with the size. Be honest and straightforward with your consumers, and their loyalty will follow. Quite frankly, 1.5 quarts of ice cream just pisses me off. It’s not even enough for 4 people to have a piece of pie and a decent amount of Ice Cream. I’ve always been a loyal Turkey Hill buyer, driving just over an hour to get it. While I applaud you for not following in Mayfield, Breyers (Dairy Dessert Lab Cream) and Edy’s (54% AIR!!!) footsteps, I’m going to stick to not driving and paying the $6.99 for Blue Bell, always my 2nd go to. Sorry Turkey Hill, be a leader, not a follower. We will pay for quality, we always have. How about as an alternative, making your own, 2 or 3 color packaging? That would save a ton, I know the other Ice Cream companies are making out like bandits off of this, I haven’t researched Turkey Hill at all so I can’t speak of their financials… somehow though, I’m doubting very seriously that they have suffered ANY because of this, quite the contrary I’m guessing. We want a half gallon – period.

156. harold says:

Simple stuff really. It’s all marketing BS. They are so afraid to simply increase the price that they rely on deception. Reduce the size and make up an excuse as if they have no choice. Cut your profit margins, increase cost slightly, and you win out on volume, it’s really that simple, but no one has the balls to do it. Rather, it’s time to just ditch all this garbage and make it at home. A basic 2-quart maker is about $30 or so. And to make 2 quarts you’re looking at around $3. No additives, no preservatives, no marketing bs to deal with and it tastes far better than anything at the store. So, there’s the math to remember people, these people are crying about 100% profit margins not being enough. Screw em, make your own.

157. MIKE says:

IT COST TO TRANSPORT AIR, 1/2 GALLON WAS THE PERFECT SIZE TO TRANSPORT, WITH NO WASTED SPACE. WHO DO YOU THINK YOUR ARE KIDDING? YOU ARE DISHONEST AND DECEPTIVE.TRY BEING A LEADER NOT A FOLLOWER! PEOPLE WILL WAKE UP WHEN THEY PAY ALOT FOR SOMETHING , OPEN IT UP, AND THERE IS NOTHING INSIDE. (CIRCUS EFFECT)

158. Ben says:

I used to be a regular weekly ice cream purchaser until I found out the containers were not half gallons but 1.75q and now they are 1.5q. Now, I do not remember when I bought any ice cream in the last two years and I do not intend to because this marketing tool is nothing but deceit. Good luck selling your product but you will not be getting any of my money.

159. Rob says:

Baloney. This is the same canned excuse EVERY food & consumer product company uses. Most of time, they hide the shrunken product by redesigning the package. It happens with ice cream, candy, tuna, coffee, macaroni, toilet paper, shampoo & used most recently by Doritos (redesigned bag and surprise, the bags are an ounce smaller).It is a marketing gimmick designed to make more profit. Period. Your ice cream is great, but don’t lie to us with the same old lame excuse.

160. I guess I am different than most people because I actually look for a true half gallon of ice cream in the store in contrary to what the CEO says you can still get a true half gallon of ice cream

161. roy says:

Wait a minute…let me pause and reflect…let me use the ‘rithmetic’ which I learned in third grade…hmmmmmm…NO, based on that, this dog won’t hunt! Even when factoring in “new math” it is still an increase in price for product!! If I get less product for the same price…that is a price increase! Plain and simple.

I guess there ARE suckers born every minute.

As for me, I’ll still buy ice cream – the Brand that I want, when I want, and at whatever the current street price/volume is; but, I’ll not be flimmflammed by your explanations Sir.

162. roy says:

Oh, sorry. I forgot to mention that I really like your vanilla ice cream. I know, it’s not fancy, just plain Vanilla, yet I love it so. No matter what, when or where, it always hits the spot!

163. google says:

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This article posted at this website is genuinely nice.

my homepage – google