WATERMELON ICE CREAM AND THIS WEEK’S TRIVIA ANSWERS

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on July 10th, 2009

Has anyone ever had watermelon flavored ice cream? We were talking about it around the Dairy and we realized that you never really see watermelon ice cream (or even watermelon sherbet), even though it sounds like it would taste great!

Speaking of watermelon, we wanted to point out a fun new blog created by our friends at the National Watermelon Promotion Board. They took a cue from us and used many of the same elements seen here on the Ice Cream Journal and so far, it looks great! Their blog is called “What About Watermelon” and it’s all about — you guessed it — WATERMELON! Check it out at www.whataboutwatermelon.com, and feel free to sign up to have new entries sent to your in-box. That way you’ll have ice cream and watermelon waiting for you in your e-mail every few days. Not bad, huh?

By the way, the winner of this week’s “Trivia Monday” prize is Sheila D. of Brooklyn, NY. Congratulations Sheila! I’m sure many of you are wondering what the answers to this week’s “Trivia Monday” questions are. Some of you got them all right, but question #4 was tricky for a lot of people (including me). Here are the answers:

1. The three cities locked in a battle to determine who invented the ice cream sundae are Evanston, IL; Two Rivers, WI; and Ithaca, NY.

2. The Indian tribe that inspired the Turkey Hill name are the Susquehannocks (or Conestoga).

3. Turkey Hill purchased its first giant cow in 1967.

4. You would have to purchase 16,200 Turkey Hill ice cream sandwiches to equal the weight of the world’s largest ice cream sandwich. (The world’s largest ice cream sandwich weighed 2,500 pounds.  There are 453.6 grams in a pound, which makes the giant sandwich 1,134,000 grams. Divide that by 70 grams (the weight of a Turkey Hill ice cream sandwich) and you get 16,200.)

5. Three percent of people eat ice cream in the bathtub! (We think it might be higher, but they were too shy to admit it.)

Our next trivia contest is coming up this Monday. I promise there won’t be any tricky math questions. Good luck!

Tags: , , ,

133 Responses to “WATERMELON ICE CREAM AND THIS WEEK’S TRIVIA ANSWERS”

1. Joe B says:

It looks great, I think a sherbet would be best with bits of blueberries for the seeds

2. Cathy says:

Congrats to the trivia contest winner!!

3. Lauren says:

I think watermelon ice cream might be a little too fruity, although I do love watermelon water ice!

4. Lauren says:

Also, thanks for the trivia answers… looking forward to more questions!

Watermelon ice cream sounds wonderful! Watermelon is so refreshing as it is, if it was an ice cream flavor and I think it would be my new favorite summer treat!!

6. Brian says:

Great idea Joe B! Blueberries or even bits of cherries for seeds. I’ll be watching the store freezer!

7. Angie P. says:

That looks delicious; I’d love to try watermelon ice cream.

8. Linda Leffler says:

Congratulation to the Trivia winner. I think Watermelon Ice cream would be so refreshing on a hot summer day. Linda

9. Greg says:

I had Friendly’s watermelon sherbet just last night. They also make a “Wattamelon Roll”.

(Yes, I know, it’s not Turkey Hill, but I’m from MA, and Friendly’s is the local ice cream chain. We didn’t get TH until a few years ago.)

10. Greg says:

Oh, and in their restaurants, you can also get a watermelon sherbet cooler. Yum yum.

11. cayennemom says:

Not a big fan of watermelon, but it looks refreshing.

12. eunice says:

i like fresh watermelon, but not watermelon flavored things…i think i’ll stick w/ chocolate! :-)

13. Joyce says:

My kids love the watermelon roll. Watermelon sherbet with chocolate chips for the seeds and the rind is lime sherbet. Now that may not seem like a good combo (watermelon and lime) but it actually is quite tasty and VERY REFRESHING on a hot day. (Sorry its made by one of your competitors.) But we love Turkey Hill ice cream also. I don’t buy the watermelon roll very often because of the cost. My new favorite for a really refreshing flavor is Turkey Hill Southern Lemon pie.

Watermelon sherbet sounds good, but I’m not too sure about watermelon ice cream.

15. alyssa montalbano says:

i have never ever tried watermelon ice cream. /:

16. Janet says:

mmmmm watermelon ice cream! sounds great :)

17. Justin says:

I made a watermelon sherbet last night! Just puréed the watermelon, mixed it with a little lime juice and agave nectar.

18. Lori says:

I’d like to try watermelon. I’d also like to try teaberry but can’t find anyone who makes it. Did you ever consider this flavor?

19. Lisa says:

I love watermelon but have never had ice cream made with it.

I love watermelon and we all know I love ice cream so what could be better.

Friendly’s makes a watermelon roll sherbet. I had it years ago. He’s a desciption – A desertshaped like a with watermelon sherbet on the inside with chocolate chips and then a lime sherbet lining.

Friendly’s is a restaurant chain in the northest. I just checked their website and they still carry this product as well as many other “rolls” I never knew about.

22. Jan Cis says:

Doesn’t matter what kind it is, I love it all :)
    Just stocked up my freezer again last night – Love the new peanut butter mania

23. Thomas says:

Not a big watermelon fan—probably had it once in last 5 years

24. Yolanda says:

I don’t know if I’d like watermelon ice cream. Then again, I don’t watermelon. lol

25. NSH says:

Watermelon ice cream sounds fantastic! I want some.

I Love Watermelon and Ice Cream so I am sure Watermelon Ice Cream would be Great!

27. Grace says:

awww, I was so close for #4…

28. Rose says:

looks good, but watermelon flavor is too etherial to tie it down in ice cream

29. Rachel says:

Looks delicious! I used to eat this watermelon sherbet with chocolate chips for the seeds and lemon sherbet for the rind.

30. Barbara A says:

Think we used raspberry ice cream with choc morsels surrounded by lime sherbert! YUMMY memory!

31. Lori says:

I am with you Greg, Friendly’s does have a good watta melon roll!!I am not sure that is is watermelon flavored or just red.. I am sure TH won’t mind giving a little credit to a fellow ice cream maker…they know it makes the industry better! Just like Milton Hershey helped Mars!

32. Mrs says:

I like chocolate, so I’m not sure if I’d want watermelon in ice cream. I’ve heard of freezing grapes before, though, so I guess it’s kind of the same. I’d still choose chocolate over watermelon, though.

33. helen g b says:

Looks real good – reminds me of Baked Alaska – but I still think Tin Roof Sundae is my favorite!

34. helen g b says:

Looks real good – in the picture it reminds me of Baked Alaska – but I still think Tin Roof Sundae is my favorite Turkey Hill flavor!

35. lori says:

What a refreshing summer treat!

36. MD says:

I’ve had watermelon italian ice, but never watermelon ice cream.

37. Lisa says:

Wow watermelon ice cream?! Yes! My two favorite desserts in the world into one yummy dessert!

38. Dave says:

This looks verrry good. The kids absolutely watermelon and ice cream ! Now the combination looks wonderful. Similar to Peanut Butter and Chocolate but more refreshing.

39. Stefanie Schmidt says:

I have made this watermelon dessert and it is so good and looks cute. Congrats to the trivia winner, I was hoping I could get a prize just for getting all the questions right, but I guess I’ll have to hope for next week!

40. Meg says:

Watermellon ice cream? Now there is a new idea. I must say at first I am skeptical because I have my favorite Turkey Hill flavors and I cannot think of anything they are missing or how anything could even taste better. But then again, I thought I wouldn’t like fruity flavored ice cream until I tried the black cherry and fell in love with it, and all the fruity duettos. SO I say bring it on Turkey Hill because I will surely be your customer. You can count on me for that :) YUM.

41. I scream says:

So I loved the trivia questions, and the answers all seemed interesting…one seemed unbelievable though. Only 3% of people eat ice cream in the bathtub? I do agree that I think the number is skewed and under par because people are afraid to admit it. But I will gladly and proudly say that ice cream is the best part of my bathtub soaking. I mean you do need something ice cold to keep the warm water from overheating and dehydrating you. And it is so indulgent, making the bathtub experience more enjoyable and decadent. In fact, I might unwind from my stressful day with a bathtub and ice cream break right now!

42. Jim says:

Watermelon ice cream is a grand idea whose time has FINALLY come!

43. Linda F says:

I’ve never seen Watermelon Ice Cream but I have had Watermelon Sherbet.

44. Bessie Chaisson says:

Mmmm, watermelon ice cream sounds delicious – as long as those are chocolate chips and not watermelon seeds! :-)

45. Faith says:

Everytime I look at this blog I get HUNGRY! And I’m out of Ice Cream. At 4:00 am that’s not good!

mmmmm love watermelon, one of my favorite things of summer if it comes to the stores I will definitley try it

47. linda says:

Not a watermelon fan, though i have heard of watermelon sherbert or ice. I also have seen the recipe for watermelon flavored ice cream with the chocolate chips running through it. definitely something i would try to eat – but not necessarily make.

48. E. Hummel says:

I love Watermelon but I don’t think it would be good for ice cream. Thanks anyway.

49. Janet says:

making a cake to look like a watermelon would be fun, using different flavors to coincide with the colors of the watermelon, but not a watermelon flavored ice cream.

50. Amber S. says:

Watermelon ice cream sounds interesting!

51. IceCreamFiend says:

I have had watermelon sherbet before, and it was delicious! I think ice cream would be even more yummy!

52. Mary H. says:

That watermelon looking ice cream thing in the photo looks good!

53. Susan C says:

just had a watermelon sorbet after dinner at the Babylon Carriage House -Long island-NY-the other day-really yummy-my neighbor looking for TH Burgundy Cherry-still around?

54. Deb says:

Congratulations, Sheila — enjoy your prize. That watermelon treat looks so inviting!

55. jeannine leonard says:

I enjoyed watermelon sorbet before, but not in an icecream flavor,sounds mighty tasty though. Thanks for the other website info.

56. Nancy says:

It was very nice of you to place the watermelon site as a go to in your email.

57. Sheryl says:

please let us have more of the Turkey Hill flavors in the Detroit area !!!! Please!!!!! thanks

58. Frank says:

Is there a seedless version?

59. Irene Stueben says:

The picture looks great, but where’s the recipe? I’d love to make this. Does anyone have a recipe for this? there wasn’t one on the watermelon website.

60. Robbin L. Netz says:

Is watermelon ice cream something we could look forward to as a feature flavor from Tirkey Hill? Even better…watermelon Duetto. YUM!!!!

61. Darcy F. says:

The Friendly’s has the wattamelon roll which others have mentioned above. It’s okay….I’m sure if TH made one it’d be a bit better. I like TH better than Friendly’s.

62. alicelynne says:

Taht looks cool……how about cantaloupe ice cream!!!

63. Christine Overs says:

When I was younger I worked in a friendlys ices cream restaurant that served what they called ice cream roll it was watermelon sherbet then lemon sherbet and then a thin line of lime sherbet and when you cut it it looked like a slice of watermelon it was a big hit with the customers it was such a big hit you could buy at are local grocery store if iam not mistaking I think you can still get it at the bigger stores

64. Beth Z says:

I would like to make a watermelon roll, this picture inspires me!

I have seen a cake like you pictured with chocolate chips for the seeds. I even cut out the recipe, and, of course, it’s still there yellowing with all the others that I was going to make Someday!

66. Michele says:

Can you provide a recipe how to create a presentation looking like a watermelon or other fruits? It would be fun to serve!

67. Anna Fink says:

Sounds kind of like a funny flavor, will defantley have to try it before i say i don’t like it though. Looks really pretty!

68. Jacqueline Seewald says:

I have to agree. I believe watermelon ice would be preferable to watermelon ice cream.

69. Lorraine says:

One of your competitors does make a watermelon roll. It’s more like a creamy sherbert. I’m sure Turkey Hill can beat that. I love watermelon.

70. Bert says:

Forget it!

71. lucy and laddie says:

All we can say is Yuk. No way watermelon ice cream for us. But if it was made to look like a watermelon but didn’t taste like it , we’d eat it.

72. Bernadette says:

I’m sure my mother-in-law would be first to buy eat. They did at one time have watermelon jello and she used that in one of her receipes. However, the no longer make it

73. brenda says:

Hi Turkey Hill fan
    I have watermelon sherbert, not ice cream, I can’t if I will like it or not. turkey Hill Ice cream…are you going to make watermenlon ice cream…

74. caroline says:

I am presently finishing off Watermelon Sherbet which my 10 year old grand daughter wanted for her Camp Grandma visit. Its eatable but I prefer my Raspberry. My hubby got the better of the deal since the 12 year old wanted “cookie dough” but he prefers butter pecan or non-mint flavor with chocolate & nuts

Definitely sherbet or sorbet! With chocolate chips for seeds!!

76. jane conrad says:

My Gram used to make a watermelon roll for us. We always thought it was the neatest thing. And, because I don’t like watermelon, she used raspberry sherbert for the red part! It was so yummy and refreshing on a hot day.

77. mary lou says:

I likewatermelon but would not buy that flavor ice cream even if its TH

78. Denise says:

I want to make this!

79. Stephanie says:

I think that watermelon would be very tasty, especially in a cone outside on a summer day. I love Rita’s Watermelon, flavor so Im sure Turkey Hill could knock it out of the park.

80. Kathy F says:

Would definitely like it with watermelon sherbet & chocolate chip “seeds” – I don’t think watermelon would make a good ice cream flavor, though.

81. Delia says:

That ice cream cake looks so neat!

Funny you should have watermelon in your topic today. Just last evening I was watching Unwrapped on the Food Network and they visited a place in Texas that makes (among other flavors) watermelon sorbet.

83. Ann says:

I certainly hope that my TH will have that ice cream before the end of summer! It looks delicious, so I am sure that it will be terrific. Keep working on new ideas you always inspire me to try something new.

84. Maureen says:

A great big bowl of Turkey Hill ice cream on a hot summer day really cools you off.

85. Charles Hoover says:

Forget the watermelon, make peppermint yearround.

86. h g b says:

Really love all flavors – favorite is
    Tin Roof followed by Fudge Ripple!

87. Dick says:

I don’t believe that water mellon ice cream would be good. But using lime sherbet for shell with vanilla ice cream lining and filled with water mellon sherbet with choc chips for seeds would be great.

88. Ellen says:

I’m going to check out that watermelon site. Bet they have some yummy recipes, etc.

89. Ellen says:

Hey, not only is it National Ice Cream Month but according to http://www.whataboutwatermelon.com it’s also National Watermelon Month too. MMMMMMMM
    Goooooooood, both of them.

90. Jane says:

Looks too real

91. Fred C says:

Ive had watermelon gelatto & it was XL– ent Old guy in bakery store makes it here & when you go in there you never know what he’ll have for flavors but they are all good —Cant wait to try this ice cream yumm yummm

92. Anne says:

We have a local ice-cream stand that has wonderful Watermellon Sherbert..Love it on a hot summers day..

93. Teresa says:

I like the idea of watermelon sorbet or sherbert. Sounds refreshing on a hot summer day.

94. Nicole says:

Watermelon Sherbet sounds great. It would be so much better than having to cut up a real watermelon and eat around the seeds to get that refreshing taste. Love the idea…hope to see it soon.

95. Carol J Hess says:

Friendly’s Restuarant’s sell watermelon roll icecream that looks and tastes like watermelon but the price of their icecream roll is a sin. Most families can not afford to serve it very often because it is so overpriced. Turkey Hill has much more reasonably priced their icecream. Please keep the good icecream coming and do not outprice your faithful customers..

96. mary says:

ALONG WITH EATING TURKEY HILL ICE CREAM ,IT FUN TO LEARN THINGS ABOUT HISTORY;;;;

97. Peggy says:

Watermelon ice cream sounds wonderful

98. barbara kendall says:

J love watermelon, but I don’t know if I would like the ice cream, maybe a sherbert. barbara

99. Tom Dinder says:

Sounds & looks delicious.I normaly don’t like the seeds,but I’m sure they taste great in the ice cream.

100. ROBYN says:

THE THOUGHT OF REAL WATERMELLON TASTING ICE CREAM IS TERRIFIC!
    KEEP TRYING!! I BET IT WOULD BE A HUGE SELLER!!!

101. CherylS22 says:

I’d love watermelon sherbet. Watermelon is my favorite summertime treat & if the sherbet were available, I could enjoy it year round.

102. Awilda says:

Interesting. I would like to try watermelon ice cream.

I like watermelon and ice cream, but don’t think I would want watermelon ice cream.

104. J Mike says:

Watermelon pits in ice cream? Not for me.

Watermelon sherbet sounds delicious! As for the seeds, use chocolate chips shaped like the seeds-delicious!!

106. Ann R. says:

Certainly worth a try! Might I recommend brown candy coated sunflower seeds for ‘seeds’ (I’ve purchased multi-colored candy coated sunflower seeds- they have a coating like M&Ms)

107. Andilu says:

I LOVE watermelon sherbet…here’s a recipe I enjoy making:

* 2 1/2 cups watermelon pulp (seeds strained out)
    * 1/2 cup sugar
    * 1/4c + 1/4 cup watermelon liquid
    * 1/3 cup heavy cream
    * 1 lemons’ worth of juice

Preparation:

Heat the sugar with a 1/4 c watermelon liquid and let the syrup cool. Blend melon syrup, melon pulp, additional 1/4 c melon liquid and lemon juice in blender. Chill mixture in fridge for several hours

Whip the cream. Combine all the ingredients, folding the cream in carefully lest it deflate, and pour the mixture into the ice cream machine.

108. Nancy N says:

Watermelon ice cream doesn’t sound good to me, however, watermelon sherbert might be refreshing.

109. Nancy says:

Nancy N wrote earlier & I’m Nancy N,too!!! Watermellon sorbet sounds very refreshing for a hot summer day like today!!! Go TH!!!

110. Nina M says:

One of the yogurt companies recently introduced watermelon flavored yogurt. I have not tried it yet, but if it is good I imagine the creamy consistency of ice cream would also work. I think I would prefer watermelon in a sorbet — closer the the original texture.

111. Bruce says:

It’s seems a little strange to me, but I know my wife would try it if the fal and calories were like real watermeoln.

112. Dalton A. says:

that looks soooooooooo good! Only place I’ve seen watermelon sherbet is Friendly’s in Hershey, PA.

113. CAROL TRANO says:

Congratulations, Sheila. That watermelon sorbet looks so refreshing, wish I had some right now.

114. Bruce Schmeck says:

I don’t think I’d like that not being a big fan of watermelon.

115. Stephanie says:

Growing up my mom always made a watermelon bombe as dessert for parties. Everybody loved it! Made with raspberry sherbert (w/choc chips for seeds), pineapple sherbert and lime sherbert. Made in none other than a Tupperware bowl, there was one years and years ago that molded out to look like half a watermelon. Yummy!!

It seems like you can make ice cream to look like watermelon but not really taste like watermelon. Maybe you can throw some watermelon jelly beans into vanilla ice cream and call it watermelon ice cream. I’ll choose any flavor of Turkey Hill ice cream over watermelon any day.

117. Cyndee says:

I still like chocolate best.

118. Cinda F says:

I think that Turkey Hill can create that watermelon flavor because they are creative. That is a good summer creation although in this area there is an icecream restaurant that has a watamelon roll ( that is the correct spelling not watermelon)

I love watermelon but this ice cream would be a good substitute

120. Lois says:

I like watermelon and I like Turkey Hill Moose Tracks, Put them together and I have a wonderful bowl of goodies going down real quick. Evening snack.

121. Charlie says:

watermelon is ok but I would still like to see a licorice flavored ice cream someday,or how about grape?

122. Paula F. says:

Would it be seedless watermelon???

123. Mary Gropp says:

Watermelon sorbet, covered in tinted vanilla–mmmm.

124. Nancy says:

The watermelon ice cream looks great!

125. ellie says:

How ironic, I recently suggested combo of watermelon and maybe vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips. I got excited when I seen the header of your e:mail saying watermelon ice cream. You can do it, will be looking for the new ice cream with watermelon.

126. michele p says:

Hate t osay this— because I think Turkey Hill IS the best… but Friendly ( owned by Hershey’s?) has a watermelon roll ice cream….. had it once or twice as a youngster but have seen it in summer months at the grocery stores.

127. Emilia says:

Watermelon needs to be a sorbet!

128. Dan says:

We’ve had the watermelon roll and watermelon sherbet by an “unknown” competitor.

129. Craig Kurtz says:

My wife and daughters love Watermelon and this would naturally be loved as ice cream. Maybe you could work it into your Duettos. MMMMMMMMMM

130. Faith says:

Gotta have it!

131. Charlene Gornee says:

Well if were going for summer flavor and were gonna try to beat friendlys wattamelon roll (whose rhine is lemon sherbet and choc chip seeds) WHY not do a triple flavor Like a Summer Neopolitain MELON MADNESS
    WATERMELON CANTALOPE & HONEY DEW !!!
    now that what im talking about
    till then ill freeze my watermelon slices and enjoy them like that till Someone creates something to tickle my fancy

132. it would be nice if turkey hill came out with a wtermelon ice cream . or a mango ice cream yum yum !

133. Brian says:

I used to get watermelon ice cream as a kid it was the best, not a sherbet I don’t think, wish I could find it now