WOULD YOU EAT IT: MAYONNAISE ICE CREAM

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on April 20th, 2011

By now we’re all used to the fact that Japan has some pretty unusual ice cream flavors. Nothing new there. But did you also know that mayonnaise is hugely popular in Japan? It’s true. They even put mayo on pizza!

One restaurant in Nagoya, Japan is aptly named “Mayomayo” and features a whole menu of items devoted to the creamy condiment. Diners can purchase their very own jar of mayonnaise, put their name on it and keep it at the restaurant to enjoy with future mayo-covered meals. Of all the items on the Mayomayo menu, one in particular caught our eye — mayonnaise ice cream. That’s a picture of it above. It looks like good ol’ fashioned vanilla, but we’re guessing it tastes, well, like frozen mayonnaise.

Another Japanese restaurant called Mayokichi (“Mayonnaise Kitchen”) serves up a mayonnaise milkshake. (Recipe: Combine ice cubes, two scoops of vanilla ice cream, and two scoops of mayo in a blender. Enjoy.) The Travel Channel’s Andrew Zimmern sampled some Mayokichi fare in a recent episode of his show, Bizarre Foods. The video below features his adventure. The mayo milkshake starts about one minute, 15 seconds into the video.

You can watch the video if you’d like, or you can skip it and do your best to imagine what a mayo milkshake looks like. Either way, we have to ask: Would you eat it?

63 Responses to “WOULD YOU EAT IT: MAYONNAISE ICE CREAM”

I really don’t like mayonnaise, so I don’t think mayo ice cream would be on my list. It would certainly be rich and creamy, but this flavor does not appeal to me at all. Sorry.

2. brenda says:

Hi Turkey Hill
    No I think I will pass this up. I wanted Ice Cream made with milk, cream, sugar eggs, not that.

3. Vicki Spokes says:

I certainly would not eat it. Guess this can be expected from a culture that thrives on raw fish/ sushi. Yuck!!!!!! Although it’s fun watching Andrew Zimmerman I would not eat half the crap he puts in his mouth.

4. ralph says:

I love Turkey Hill Ice Cream. If you make it, I am willing to try it. I’ll usually try anything once. But try not to make it to rich.

5. Caroline of Manalapan says:

short comment NO

Try it, you might like it –

7. Leah says:

Nope, not for me. I like a little mayonnaise here and there on sandwiches or in deviled eggs but I don’t like it enough that I would be willing to try mayo ice cream.

8. Sheila says:

No – that’s really disgusting

9. jilly says:

hmm..I’d eat it..but mayo on grilled cheese instead of butter is better…sorta like choco mayo cake..o so yummy..I still worship my TURKEY HILL …lol

10. MC says:

JUST A LICK!

11. Ellen says:

I like mayo on a tomato sandwich or a ham & swiss sandwich. But mayo ice cream I’d have to try before I’d buy.

12. Jean Marie says:

Mayonaise is good with tuna fish, egg salad, ham, cheese and maybe even in a dip. But, I can’t picture tasting it as a ice cream. It looks/sounds blah.

13. Carl J says:

Yes I would be willing to try mayonaise ice cream. It sounds very interesting.

14. Fran Z says:

I like mayo and I would at least try mayo ice cream. the worst thing, I wouldn’t like it.

15. Amy E says:

I would not. But I do have a friend who loves to eat mayo, so I think she probably would eat it.

I don’t care for mayo too much to begin with. A little goes a long way. Mayo ice cream sounds completely revolting!! UGH!!

17. Cindy Haskell says:

I agree with Leah…a little mayo here and there…but not in my ice cream!! No thanks!!

18. Yvonne says:

Ahh, mayonnaise – can’t imagine a BLT without it. But ice cream? No Way!!

19. Arvella says:

I love mayo on my sandwiches, but can’t quite wrap my head around mayo ice cream. Thanks for the offer. And since Turkey Hill didn’t make it, then I can not guarantee that it would be good

20. Jacqueline Seewald says:

Sorry, for me mayo is something I like in my tuna fish and chicken salad and potato salad, not in my ice cream.

21. Lonnie says:

One spoonful at first, then it would depend…

absolutely, its ice cream, and the only ice cream I will not eat is mint.

23. Nancy N says:

No thank you!

24. Lois Sidelnick says:

NO NO NO, do not ruin a good thing by adding outragous ingredients. Ice cream is ice cream by no other name or addition.

25. yes i try it might be good you might not taste the mayo

26. Jennifer says:

Gross!

27. Heidi says:

I’d rather have a sandwich, er, I mean ice cream cone with the tangy zip of Miracle Whip, but sure, I’d give the mayo deal a try. It wouldn’t require as much courage to try this as for a squid ink cone or whatever it was you reported on awhile back!

28. gianna says:

29. howard cohen says:

why not! I would like to try it !!

30. Sandra Linen-Ward says:

Absolutely NOT!!!

31. Carol Y says:

No thanks!

it would not hurt to try it

Sure I would try it. I’ve have goat milk cheese ice cream that sounded disqusting and I found myself wanting more. Maybe adding crushed bacon would make it even more exotic!

34. Dom says:

I would eat it in place of mayo on a sandwich, or BLT. It would add a new taste sensation to a sandwich. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

35. Gloria says:

No! I know where my mayo belongs. It is not on ice cream.

No thanks.

37. Pat H. Daniel says:

It looks good, but does not sound good. It’s a hard thing to imagine.

38. Harriet G. says:

I’d like to taste mayo ice cream. I do not know if I would like it or not.

39. Roxann says:

Yuk! I would not drink a mayonnaise milkshake.

40. Betsy says:

That is so so wrong! No, I definitely would not eat it!

41. peggy m says:

I agree with the majority that no way does that even sound good!!
    On BLT’s or Macaroni salad mayo is good but not as an ice cream flavor.

42. yes i would try it simply because it is ice cream and it is turkey hill! a win win combo:o)

43. yes i would try it since it is ice cream and it is turkey hill! a win-win combo :o ).

44. marion says:

If it ain’t broke–don’t fix it! Turkey Hill knows who to make ice cream the right way!

THAT IS SO GROSS. NO WAY WOULD I EAT IT AS ICE CREAM. DISGUSTING.

I can’t imagine talking about ice cream and mayonnaise in the same conversation. I eat mayonnaise on sandwiches but use very little. I certainly would not eat an ice cream cone full of it. To me mayonnaise is a condiment and not a dessert.

47. Big Dave says:

Sounds horrible… but, I have eaten chocolate cake made with mayo. which was great! So… you never know!

48. Susan says:

Mayo is good in cake so maybe it wouldn’t be bad in ice cream. Worth a try. If it’s sweet enough it might be okay.

49. I would definitely try it!

You also have to know that mayo in Japan tastes different from American mayo. I used to live there and it was surprising at first. It’s a little sweeter and yellower and is found on things from pizza to okonomiyaki and yakisoba.

50. Caroline says:

I’m not usually a picky eater, especially when it comes to ice cream, but I think I’ll have to take a pass!

51. Jim im SOMD says:

I love mayonnaise on a turkey or roast beef sandwich and mixed with mustard on a balogna or ham sandwich. I put it on a hamburger with ketchup, mustard and pickles. Matonnaise ice cream, although not my first choice on a hot summer’s day, could be a delightful side on a warm spring or early fall evening.

52. sandra says:

could not get anywhere with your =phone service – re,limonade- horrible product -tasteslike medicine – 13.21 116 D1 42-092
    sell by 05/10/11 ME 5

53. sandra says:

4575 michel-bibaud
    nontreal, qu H3W2E1

54. Debi York says:

Would I eat it? I don’t know…but I would try a small taste….

55. Emilia says:

Interesting. Sour cream tastes great in all kinds of desserts so why not mayo? I would have to try it.

My husband would! He puts mayo on everything.

57. Susan says:

I’d be willing to try it. There are lots of odd-sounding foods that do taste good, so why not mayo ice cream?!

58. Noooooo, though I love Turkey Hill ice creams, I would never touch Mayonnaise Ice Cream!

59. yim says:

you guys are stupid, why not try it?
    we put CHEESE in CAKES.
    we put MAYO in CHOCOLATE CAKE.
    we drink milk that comes out of a friggin COW.
    why not try mayo ice cream?

60. Teva says:

I would eat it for sure! Then again, I eat live meal worms! So Mayo is nothing.

61. Jared says:

Mayo is nasty, never good on anything