ICE CREAM FACT #151: THE THREE BEST CITIES IN THE NATION

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on July 29th, 2011

The top three cities in America that purchase the most ice cream on a per capita basis aren’t in Hawaii or other warm weather locations, they’re in Portland, Oregon; St. Louis, Missouri; and Seattle, Washington. Why do you suppose that is?

If you’re following along at home, you’re probably wondering about the answer to Wednesday’s question — What percentage of women admit to licking the bowl clean after finishing their ice cream? The answer is 8 percent. And the answer to the question before that — What percentage of the world’s vanilla beans are grown in Madagascar — is 80 percent!

54 Responses to “ICE CREAM FACT #151: THE THREE BEST CITIES IN THE NATION”

1. Thomas Keifer says:

And I bet Turkey Hill isn’t avaible at those cities and they miss out on the best

2. Sheila says:

I would have thought it would be cities with larger populations

3. Carol Y says:

Surprised to hear the cities. Would have never guessed Oregon!

4. Harriet G. says:

Today’s ice cream fact surprised me.

5. Lois Sidelnick says:

I think Lancastet, PA is one of the leading buyers of Turkey Hill, right where it is made.

6. Jean Marie says:

I picked 8%! The ice cream sandwich sure looks yummy!

7. Julie Hill says:

Its probably cold over that part of the country,and not much to do,so they watch tv and eat icecream! Just guessing!

8. Caroline of Manalapan says:

I picked 3 and an surprised that 8% of us manner correct sex would admit it. On the per capita eating of Ice cream, two of the three have relatively mild climates. In Hot places we worry our TH will turn to soup eating it on the street and cold places YEA. I can’t remember ever seeing someone eating an ice cream cone during a snow storm walking in the street.

9. Mike says:

I want a recount – who published these statistics. I think there needs to be a federal investigation. Just think if Turkey Hill was available in those localities.

I would have guessed cities with much warmer climates would have been the ones to buy the most ice cream. I wonder where Pittsburgh came in on the list?

11. jilly says:

Mike…there’s no money in the BUDGET for an Investigation, juss pass me my Turkey-Hill…lol

12. michelle says:

more family friendly places would promote family type activities. Posters showing yummy ice cream screams HAPPY FAMILY so everybody wants some

Surprising answer to the question. I thought it would be large cities.

14. Sandra says:

surprising results. I fall in the 8% that lick the bowl. LOL.

15. Sandra says:

surprising results. I fall into the 8% that lick the bowl.

16. why not everyone loves turkey hill ice cream. big or small towns love your ice cream

17. Jacqueline Seewald says:

Okay, I got the 8% right! Now for the three cities: I’m stumped.

18. Vicki Spokes says:

Those cities are surprising.

19. Marie says:

Not sure on the cities. I need my free ice cream, Turkey Hill, of course.

20. Ann says:

I never expected it to be those cities, but good for them. I certainly hope that they somehow get Turkey Hill ice cream!

21. Fran Z says:

I got the 8% right, not sure about the 80%

22. Nancy N says:

I was surprised with the three cities. The ice cream sandwich sure looks good. I’m off to have one for myself! :-)

23. Sharon Leaming says:

I’m not doing well at answering the questions correctly. Oh well!

24. Ann says:

I voted for the 8% as well, I am surprised that that many women would admit to doing such a thing. As you know some will say they do not when they really do, so the percentage is actually higher!

25. Linda S. says:

Julie above says there must not be much to do in Lancaster! I went to college in the aera, & believe me, there’s LOTS to do there! There are several colleges as well as many historic attractions! There’s also an amusement park, a major sight & sound theater that people come from all over to attend, a GREAT shopping outlet, MANY shopping centers, a newly referbished downtown Lancaster with an Arts Center that my college has opened to the piblic, AND the TURKEY HILL EXPERIENCE, of course!!!!! They even have a brand new minor league baseball stadium for the Barnstormers, as well as all the Amish craft & produce stands! There’s even an old steam railroad that gives rides along the beautiful countryside! SO, you see, there’s LOTS to do in the area of Lancaster as well as eat our delicious TURKEY HILL ice Cream!

Portland, Oregon; St. Louis, Missouri; and Seattle, Washington. buy more ice cream than anyone else because they have more money and need to eat more ice cream than anyone else

27. Yvonne says:

Re: Lancaster places, don’t forget Landis Valley Village and Farm Museum -what a neat place! As for those 3 cities – what a surprise. I, too, thought it would be somewhere where it is hot….

28. Elise says:

I had an ice cream sandwich today and ate it with pretzels and it reminded me of the Turkey Hill ice cream with pretzels in it, which I have been enjoying with another Lancaster County treat this week- Shoofly Pie! It is interesting to know which cities buy the most ice cream. I agree that there is a lot to do in this area.

29. Sally says:

I would have thought that the top 3 cities would have been in warmer climates.

30. Betty Babcock says:

why not Buffalo, New York

31. Staci A says:

They are surprising cities to be on top. Like others have said, I would’ve expected much warmer areas.

32. Lechelle Barron says:

I’m surprised pennsylvania wasn’t on the list since Turkey Hill is in PA. There are only two more days left to National Icecream Month i really need a year supply of Turkey Hill. I just got the Orange Cream Swirl again and I am in heaven lol Thanks your loyal customer :)

33. Stephanie says:

I want to eat that ice cream sandwich right now!

34. Sheryl says:

every town is a “Turkey Hill” town–bring those sandwiches to the Detroit area please !!

35. Arno says:

maybe turkey hill gets them through the mostly bad weather in the northwest.

36. Faith says:

Today is my Birthday, and I plan to eat lots of Turkey Hill Ice Cream!

I wonder why two of the cities are on the West Coast. Do they have their own ice cream plants in those cities? What brand of ice cream is available. I could understand if the ice cream was Turkey Hill but I don’t believe you have branched that far yet.

38. Judi says:

Thanks for the correct answers to earlier questions; I have been wonderin’ and wonderin’. Didn’t get either one right!

The 3 cities were surprising to me as well. I thought St. Louis would be known for beer consumption, since Anheuser Busch is based there!

40. JF says:

Im surprised boston isn’t on the list

Interesting about the city and thanks for the trivia answers too.
    Eat more Turkey Hill Ice Cream!

42. Emilia says:

Portland and Seattle get a lot of rain so maybe they eat ice cream as a mood enhancer! I’m not so sure about St. Louis though. I know there are a lot of great restaurants there so they probably just know what’s good.

43. Ron says:

I would have guessed Buffalo, also. We love our ice cream up here! I’m very suprised Conestoga’ Pa. didn’t make the list.

I AGREE WITH JULIE S. I AM A FREQUENT VISITOR TO LANCASTER COUNTY AND YES THERE IS PLENTY TO DO THERE.
    THE CITIES LISTED ABOVE MAY BE BECAUSE THEY ARE OF A MORE RELAXED ENVIRONMENT THAN ALOT OF US ON THE EAST COAST. THEY JUST TAKE THE TIME TO RELAX AND ENJOY THERE ICE CREAM.

45. marion says:

Oh, my–I thought it was Mount Joy, PA!

46. Heidi says:

I agree with Emilia, ice cream is better than happy pills for every cabin fevered depressed rained out person in Portland and Seattle. And who knows what’s going on in St.Louis. Maybe they can get TH there! Happy Birthday Faith!

I’d like to find out why those states eat more ice cream than others.

I used to love ice cream sandwiches.

49. peg says:

What, Hawaii isn’t one of the great states to purchase Turkey Hill Ice Cream. After President Obama gets our national debt taken care of, he better take on this big problem.

50. sue says:

i’m glad i don’tlive in those cities–that leaves me more ice cream to consume–less competition!!

51. Gloria says:

Who eats the most ice cream is not a big issue as long as there is plenty left for the rest of us.

52. jan says:

I would have thought CT just with all the ice cream that I buy alone. I want to thank you for being at the Rock Cats game on Sunday, July 31st, even though I couldn’t be there, I heard it was a great time. I’m glad that my favorite ice cream participated.

Ice cream melts too fast in hot climates. Although you may think that in the winter months, the reduced use of ice cream would take these cities out of the running, don’t forget that Portland and Seattle have the warm gulf stream that keep the temps warmer than they would be in the east or midwest at the same latitude. St, Louis, I have no idea why they make the list.

54. peggy says:

I am with the surprised group of the 3 top cities.. I hope someone from marketing can come up with some good reasoning as to why Portland, OR, St Louis MO, and Seattle WA. …Maybe those state also lead in the largest cubic size refrigerators and freezers ??