Ask Ernie: Which ice cream flavor melts faster?

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on March 28th, 2012

KELLY P. FROM ALTOONA, PA ASKS: Hi Ernie! I was hoping you could answer a question that my friend and I were debating. Which ice cream flavor melts faster – chocolate or vanilla?

Some people debate politics. Others debate sports. You and your friend debate ice cream, and that’s my kind of debate!

The answer to your question is a little tricky. Technically, the chocolate ice cream should melt faster because it’s darker in color, and darker-colored objects absorb more light (or heat) than lighter-colored objects. If you’ve ever worn a dark-colored shirt in the summer, you’ll know what I mean. If the chocolate ice cream absorbs more light (heat), that means it’ll melt faster. This is especially true outdoors in direct sunlight, but the same principle applies indoors.

The only problem with that theory is that other factors also determine how quickly certain ice cream flavors will melt. Fat destabilization, ice crystal size, and the consistency coefficient of the mix can also affect the melting rate of ice cream. Maybe I’m getting a little too technical and paying too much attention to the details, but as anyone who knows me will tell you, when it comes to ice cream, I always pay close attention to the details!

Instead of talking about it, let’s put it to the test, shall we? I took a container of Turkey Hill Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and a container of Turkey Hill Dutch Chocolate ice cream and stored them side-by-side in the same freezer. I then scooped a single scoop of each flavor onto a plate and placed the plates next to each other on a countertop. Then I stood back and let room temperature (about 72 degrees Fahrenheit) take over.

The results? Both flavors turned into sad little puddles within an hour and I forgot to check in to see which one melted first. Either way, my advice is this: If you eat your ice cream fast enough (like me), you never have to worry about it melting!

34 Responses to “Ask Ernie: Which ice cream flavor melts faster?”

1. Sheila says:

well, this is not something I really have to worry about!

2. Fran says:

Hmmmm melted Turkey Hill – sounds like milk shakes to me. I’ll have to try it, and try it, and try it :)

Paying attention to details. Why didn’t Ernie assign someone to monitor the experiment?

4. NORMA says:

My chocolate Turkey Hill never melts. I just gobble it up too fast!

5. Caroline of Manalapan says:

I believe it is the type of frozen desert that melts faster but don’t know which one. I do feel a heavier ice cream will melt slower than one whipped up with more air. Never tested if sherbet melts faster than ice cream. All I know if I have an ice cream cone on a hot day outside if I am not fast it runs down the sides no matter what kind it is and even worse is if it has a hole at the bottom of my sugar cone. Like Ernie I don’t waste time admiring the ice cream when I am eating it.

It tastes better when it’s slightly melted. I know there is an optimal temperature at which to eat ice cream, but I don’t know what it is. I don’t really care, either. I just care that there’s ice cream in the freezer!

7. sue says:

as a matter of course i do not allow my icecream to be out long enough to melt, unless it is a super hot summer day and i can’t shovel it in fast enough!! Turker Hill is fantastic no matter what the temperature!!

8. Nancy N says:

Mine never gets time to melt!! :-)

9. sandy comins says:

i think chocolate is thicker and i think vanilla melts faster , but wwharever they both melt just right in my mouth.

10. millie says:

my ice cream dont stand still its gone before it can melt

melts in my mouth

12. Ann says:

I have to agree with others my Turkey Hill ice cream is never out long enough to mel. I simply must eat it before that!

When we were little my sister and I had races to see whose cone could last the longest. My mom probably had a time getting the ice cream out of our clothes!

if you eat your ice cream in a mushy state, like we at our house do sometimes, then you only hope that it gets there quickly. we love it both ways

15. Jean Marie says:

Frozen or melted, Turkey Hill still tastes delicious!

16. Emilia says:

Melting is bad if it’s on a cone!

17. Carol Yemola says:

Who really cares? Besides, I eat my ice cream before it has a chance to melt … no matter what flavor it is!

18. Harriet G. says:

Interesting question. I never thought to ask which flavor melts faster.

19. Cheryl says:

Chocolate ice cream wouldn’t stand a chance with me as it is my all time favorite flavor and gets gobbled down faster than it can melt. Turkey Hill chocolate ice creams are the best. :-)

I don’t really enjoy eating liquid ice cream. It’s frozen and that’s the way it is meant to be enjoyed.

21. Edie says:

Who would or could only observe and not eat the ice cream to find out the answer to this question?

22. alicelynne says:

Have to agree with the others…my ice cream isn’t out long enough to find out!! But, I would guess that the ice cream that melts the fastest is the one that has big chunks of goodies in it!!

AFTER SCOOPING OUT OUR ICE CREAM WE JUST LET IT SIT FOR A MINUTE AND THEN EAT IT. THIS JUST SOFTENS IT SO THAT YOU DON’T GET THAT HARD ICE CREAM STRAIGHT FROM THE FREEZER. YOU SEEM TO GET MORE OF THE TASTE WHEN IT IS LIKE THAT,TO US ANYWAY.

It seems to me that when I worked in a deli that served ice cream, we noticed that the chocolate was always easier to scoop. I thought it was because of the additions made to create the chocolate flavor.

I liked the question. I like my ice cream soft and what I notice is that when I leave them out to soften the one with more fat softens faster.

My ice cream would never have time to melt!

And thank you, Turkey Hill, for the shopping list and coupons!

27. pat d. says:

I’ll say the vanilla melts faster than chocolate.

28. Al says:

My ice cream will never have a chance to melt.

29. [...] Ask Ernie: Which ice cream flavor melts faster? « Ice Cream Journal You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed. « Elise mccormick [...]

30. David says:

This is a critical issue. there are certain flavors that are carried by Target which is 20 minutes from their freezer to my house. This is the theoretical border of the “melting zone boundary” at which point certain types of ice cream suffer irreparable damage to their crystalline structure.

31. shirley says:

go suck your daddy dick (lol.z)

32. paula says:

shirley shut up

33. random says:

this is stupid youre a bunch of nerds

34. daniel says:

what is the melting temp for ice cream