Is ice cream the best medicine after having a tooth pulled?

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on May 31st, 2012

We’ve written in the past about the age old advice to eat ice cream after having your tonsils removed. The remedy is rooted in good intentions (the cold ice cream will help reduce swelling and sooth your sore throat) but, for various reasons, our expert recommends non-dairy treats like sherbet and ice pops.

But what about ice cream as a post-surgery aid after having a tooth pulled? Many dentists advise their patients to eat ice cream in the 24-hour period following the removal of a tooth and, unlike the post-tonsillectomy snack, ice cream after a tooth extraction is actually good advice. According to WorlDental.org, here’s why:

“Swelling is a natural occurrence after tooth extraction but it can be minimized. This is done by using cold compress on the side of your cheek where the extraction was done.

This is why dentists advise their patients to eat ice cream. Cold temperature causes the blood vessels in the extraction area to constrict or narrow down. When this happens, the blood vessels are unable to carry much fluid which causes the swelling. Of course, eating ice is also a “cool” way to treat yourself.”

So there you have it! The article also mentions that after the first 24 hours, the remedy switches from cold foods to warm foods, which means ice cream should be replaced with soup. But hey, at least you have an excuse to eat ice cream for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a whole day!

30 Responses to “Is ice cream the best medicine after having a tooth pulled?”

1. Sheila says:

Personally, I think ice cream is the best medicine for just about anything! It always makes me feel better! :)

Sheila says it all, ice cream a cure all

3. Judi in rural NY says:

I did not know that!

4. Maryann Striff says:

Eating ice cream always makes you swoon and smile, so I say a big YES to ice cream and sherbert and ices, they make you feel good all over!! Makes you forget about negatives for a little while.

5. Jean Marie says:

Why not? If it works after tonsils removal, it will work after teeth removal.

6. Harriet G says:

Sounds good to me. I eat ice cream everyday.

7. John says:

I am one of 12 children, I think each one would agree Dad would stop for ice cream on the
    way home from the Dentist , or Dr. or if we picked enough tomatoes that day. : —)

8. MC says:

I want to keep my teeth at my age,but load me up with ice cream!

9. Marie says:

What good excuses for eating ice cream; not that we need one!!!

10. michelle says:

ice cream is not only the best medicine for ANYTHING but just the plain old best for anything. Happy,sad it covers it all

11. Caroline of Manalapan says:

Hubby might disagree. He had his wisdom teeth remove in the army 2 at a time. He never got ice cream but to him the day’s bed rest was much better. Now I guess he would prefer the ice cream since that goes back to the days of the M-1. I find eating my TH helps me when I have minor tooth pain.

12. millie b says:

i eat ice cream when i am sick with a cold make me feel so food

13. Sick or not,th icecreamcures all, anytime of the day or night. The best cure-all for everything, even lonliness. It’s a good companion, no sass back. I’m for it.

first thing you get when you have tonsils out

I have never heard this before but I am willing to try it. Of course I am not planning for any tooth removal anytime soon. But I will go ahead and have a nice bowl of my favorite Turkey Hill vanilla ice cream anyway. What harm can that do?

16. Fran Schneider says:

sounds good to me. I beleve Ice Cream helps with tons of problems

Ice cream is good anytime. That is why they show people on tv consoling themselves with a carton and a spoon.

18. NORMA says:

Perfect therapy, and probably the only thing you can afford will be an ice cream cone after paying the dentist’s bill!

19. Edie says:

Sounds like good advice, but ice cream anytime without the tooth pulling sounds better.

20. SARAH says:

I think ice cream could cure everything. Let’s hear it for Turkey Hill for making the best medicine ever.

Pull my teeth, Please

I COULD DO WITHOUT THE TOOTH PULLINGS. JUST GIVE ME TURKEY HILL ICE CREAM ANYTIME.

Ice cream is always the best medicine!

Sounds like a great idea to me! I’ll take any excuse to eat ice cream.

25. Linda R says:

I’m with Sheila, Ice cream is the best medicine, it always makes me feel better too.
    The article states after 24 hours you should eat warm food, so make mine hot fudge!

26. Ice cream makes everything better!

27. John says:

Oh yes! Ice cream is the best pain medicine anyone can get and it tastes yummy :)

28. Pri'Nx K kaZmi says:

Let’s see!!! tomorrow is my wisdom teeth surgery.. after it’s removal I’ll be eating ice cream whole day.!!!

29. Hey, I think your website might be having browser
    compatibility issues. When I look at your blog
    site in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, fantastic blog!

Here is my page: pain management without drugs

30. A motivating discussion is worth comment.
    I think that you need to write more on this issue,
    it might not be a taboo subject but typically people
    do not discuss such issues. To the next! All the best!!

Feel free to surf to my blog Lutheran Church Missouri Synod Papillion NE