The following was posted previously on the Ice Cream Journal,but it’s a fun and delicious conversation starter, so we’re posting it again!
We paid a visit to the Guinness Book of World Record website to see what the record books hold for ice cream feats, and the following is what we found. Which record do you think sounds the most extraordinary, and which one would you like to take a shot at?
1. “Most ice cream scoops thrown and caught in one minute by a team of two” — The record for most ice cream scoops thrown and caught in one minute by a team of two is 25, achieved by Gabriele Soravia (thrower) and Lorenzo Soravia (catcher) (both Germany), on the set of Guinness World Records – Die größten Weltrekorde in Cologne, Germany, on 1 September 2007.
2. “Most ice cream scoops balanced on a cone” — The most ice cream scoops balanced on a cone is 26 and was achieved by Terry Morris (New Zealand) on the set of Zheng Da Zong Yi – Guinness World Records Special in Beijing, China, on 20 May 2010.
3. “Most ice cream cones prepared in one minute” — The most ice cream cones prepared in one minute is 19 and is held by Mitch Cohen (USA) who broke the record on the Food Network TV show Paula’s Party on 28 June 2007.
4. “Most flavors of ice cream displayed together” –The most varieties of ice cream displayed together is 521 by the UPA Gelatieri Padova at the 500 tastes of solidarity event, Cavour Square, Padova, Italy on 28 March 2004.
5. “Longest ice cream dessert” — The longest ice cream dessert was a sundae measuring 39.77 m (130 ft 6 in) prepared by The Kids Club (USA) in Brunswick, Georgia, USA, on 12 November 2009.
6. “Longest chain of people licking ice cream” — The longest chain of people licking ice cream was achieved by 2,694 participants at an event organized by Augustana College (USA) in Rock Island, Illinois, USA, on 20 April 2010.
7. “Largest ice cream sculpture” — The world’s largest ice cream sculpture, shaped like an 18th century ship, weighed 925 kg (2,039.4 lb), used 1,715.54 liters (453.2 gal) of chocolate and vanilla ice cream and was created by Jacques Tokar, Antoine Tokar and Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream (all USA). The sculpture was unveiled at Robert Louis Stevenson Elementary School, Burbank, California, USA on 14 November 2002.
8. “Largest (tallest) ice cream cone” — The largest ice cream cone measured 2.81 m (9 ft 2.63 in) in height and was achieved by Mirco Della Vecchia and Andrea Andrighetti (both Italy) during an event organized by Rimini Fiera and sponsored by Sigep, Fabbri, Incisoria Imar, Icam, Martellato (all Italy), at Rimini Fiera, in Rimini, Italy, on 22 January 2011.