Ask Ernie: Why not make Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream all year long?

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on November 21st, 2013

CINDY S. FROM ERIE, PA ASKS: Your Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream is SO good!!! Why don’t you make it all year long?

Great question, Cindy. It’s one that a lot of fans have asked me about our seasonal flavors over the years, but Pumpkin Pie definitely gets most of the “all year long” requests.

I’ll start out by saying that it’s not unprecedented for a popular Limited Edition flavor to make it to the “Big Leagues” by crossing over to our full time lineup. Double Dunker did exactly that a few years ago, and it remains one of our most popular flavors.

Pumpkin Pie is a little trickier, although I agree that it’s an amazing flavor (my second favorite Turkey Hill Limited Edition flavor, behind Gertrude Hawk Box of Chocolates). The only problem is, like our Egg Nog Ice Cream, pumpkin is such a uniquely seasonal offering, that it might not be quite as delicious in May as it is in November. If you’ve ever had a candy cane in July, you know what I’m talking about.

That’s the conventional wisdom, at least. There’s no shortage of fans who are willing to prove me wrong. I’ve talked to Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream lovers who buy 12 containers of it in late November to enjoy until the flavor returns the following year. (Pictured on the right is one fan’s stockpile.) These super fans give themselves one container each month, and they’ve told me that the flavor is just as great in the spring and summer as it is in the fall and winter.

Regardless, I think the limited availability of Pumpkin Pie has a lot to do with its appeal, and I worry that if it were available all year long, it would lose some of its “specialness.”

So, does that mean our Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream will NEVER follow in Double Dunker’s footsteps and join the full time lineup? I don’t like to say “never,” but it’s not likely to happen any time soon. Until then, I think you’ll enjoy the Limited Edition flavors we have in store for 2014. Stay tuned for a blog entry in December that offers a sneak peek at next year’s Limited Edition lineup!

39 Responses to “Ask Ernie: Why not make Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream all year long?”

1. millie says:

I wish I could find pumpkin pie ice cream as I had one just one that’s all I could find it was so good I go every other day to food lion and wal mart but its not there. I was going to try to fill my freezer so I could have a little every night will keep looking thanks Ernie

2. Elaine Garfield says:

I would be happy if I could find it now, looked on several stores and no luck so far, I’ll keep trying though

3. Lou says:

I would love to stock up on Pumpkin Pie Ice cream but not many supermarkets in my area carry it. It is very hard to find.

4. Ellen says:

Unfortunately I don’t have a big freezer so I can’t stock up on Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream. But I’m sure going to buy 1.

5. cindy says:

I agree! Please make all year!

I find it interesting that Ernie states that he does not think it will sell because it may not taste as good in the spring/summer, but then notes that he gets infomation that people stock away themselves so they can eat it all year round and they enjoy it all year round. I guess we all must get a separate freezer for our own special preferred limited edition flavor until it comes around next year, or else keep the thermastat set to 32 degrees in the house, which I think would not work as the pipes would freeze. What a mess that would be. Also ask your grand and great grand parents about having to go out of the house, before indoor plumbing, to do the daily constitutional. That is what it would feel like if your house temperature was set at 32 degrees. LOL

7. mary ann herrmann says:

…oh, yes – yes – yes!!

8. Amber S. says:

I like having special seasonal flavors – it gives me something to look forward to.

One day I might be able to stock up like some do. Can’t do that now – my husband and sons would eat it all within a couple of months. Lol.

you are probably right about it being a seasonal thing. I don’t buy pumpkin pie in the spring or the summer and if it were there all year long that would mean it was not fresh pumpkin but something stored from last year’s crop.

10. Harriet G says:

I can understand that the limited edition ice cream flavors would not be so special if they were available all year long.

11. Anita says:

Yes, definitely stick with it as a seasonal flavor. There is a special attachement and allure to having flavors in season…when a local ice cream stand brings out strawberry in season, they are always sold out just as when the peaches and raspberries ripen and they, too, appear on the list of flavors available. It is, indeed, very, very good…but much more fun to look forward than its becoming common place.

12. Joanne says:

I am a huge fan of your Pumpkin Ice Cream and would have to agree with Ernie on the seasonal flavor with keeping it for this time of year. I love pumpkin anything. It is the best flavor. I wait for it to come back around this time and get very excited. Like a little kid in a candy store. Turkey Hill has so many other phenomenal flavors to choose from year round. I continuously purchase the choclate/vanilla flavor every other day. Keep up the good work !!!! Please don’t discontinue this flavor because your ice cream rules!!! Keep up the good work!!!!!

13. Pam says:

I have, as of now, not even tried it! Will have to do something about that.

I love Double Dunker and I’m so happy you made it a regular.

15. Judy Miller says:

We are going to be moving back to FL in April and the one thing I am going to miss about PA is Turkey Hill ice cream. Are you all available yet south of the Mason-Dixon line??

16. Nancy Nasso says:

Haven’t tried the pumpkin yet, but I am enjoying the Egg Nog! Our store didn’t have it last year, so I am enjoying it while I can. :-)

Gaudeamus igitur, or so let us rejoice. Turkey Hill Pumpkin Piec Ice Cream has arrived. Gaudeamus igitur!

18. Kitty Everard says:

Turkey Hill Stores are the best place to find Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream.
    I wait all year for this flavor. Always great.

I am sorry but I do not like the Pumpkin Pie or Eggnog Ice Cream. But then again I do not like Egg nog. I might consider Turkey Hill Vanilla Ice Cream on my Pumpkin pie though!

20. Elsie Nicolette says:

If it was offered all year I might get to try it in the fall, which has NOT happened yet!

I love having Limited Edition flavors to look forward to!

22. REGGIE MCGEE says:

Love the pumkin.

23. Andrea says:

We are so anxious to try TH Pumpkin Pie but still have not located any. Hopefully we find some by Thanksgiving. We love pumpkin but agree it would only be a top seller Oct-Dec.

24. alicelynne says:

Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream is gone…here in VA!!! Boo Hoo!!

25. Lois Sidelnick says:

Keep the flavors equal to the holiday or season. It gives the holiday a nice flavor and I enjoy pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. It makes the holiday special for my family

26. Caroline of Manalapan says:

I agree with Donna not liking Pumpkin or Eggnog but hubby would have the eggnog. I am another who stocks up with Hubby’s favorite “Box of Chocolate” in our small freezer chest. I think Hubby believes we live in a warehouse since when we visit Hershey he stocks up on their Special Chocolate with Almonds (like 6 boxes), but if that keeps hubby happy its worth it.

27. Marie says:

Haven’t tried the pumpkin yet. Have not been able to find it. Wish I could. Pumpkin anything is wonderful, and to be able to hve it in Turkey Hill ice cream sounds soooo goooood!!!! Very difficult to find any of the special flavors where we live and shop.

I understand the thought process behind not offering Pumpkin Pie all year long. Makes sense. I don’t think I’d be into it in June. With that being said… why can’t I find it NOW? It’s November!

29. Sharon says:

I wish I could try it. Haven’t found it yet!

30. Ida Beek says:

I was fortunate that my grocery store in Northwest NJ carries Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream. I bought six to assure there would be enough for the holidays. Today I’m starting my search for Egg Nog and Rum Raisin.

31. Juliette says:

Not a fan so I will pass. Don’t tell my hubby!

Can’t wait to see what the new flavors will be. I hope there are
    a couple in the light or yogurt varities.

NOT A FAN OF PUMPKIN OR EGGNOG BUT TURKEY HILL HAS PLENTY OF OTHER FLAVORS THAT MAKE ME HAPPY.

as a gs volunteer, I get a similar question about our cookies, it is quality, not quantity that makes something great. and having it offered once a year is making it super special

35. Vicki Spokes says:

Seasonal flavors give us something to look forward to.

36. Lydia says:

make it all year then we could give thanks all year

When you enjoy something too often it becomes old. If you have it now and then you can’t wait until the next time. This can be applied to any of your favorite Turkey Hill flavors.

38. Ron says:

I like the idea of having something to look forward to. Absence makes the taste buds grow fonder!!

ice cream yes pumpkin ice cream no