Second Scoop: Researchers find a way to turn clouds into ice cream!

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on February 18th, 2014

File this one under “Crazy, but true.” This wacky story about “ice cream snow” was published here on the blog awhile ago, but with all of the snow we’ve been getting lately, we thought it deserved a second scoop. Enjoy!

Two artists/researchers have theoretically discovered a way to make ice cream-flavored snow fall from the clouds. Sounds far fetched, doesn’t it? That’s because it is (at least for now), but in 10 or 20 years, it could make spending a day in the park a lot tastier!

The plan, called “The Cloud Project,” involves using sophisticated machinery (which still needs to be invented) to spray liquid nitrogen and ice cream-flavoring into the clouds, which causes the moisture in the clouds to condense, freeze and blanket the earth below in a yummy layer of ice cream snow.

Making it work for real is still the biggest obstacle, but the artists have retrofitted an ice cream truck with an attachment which uses the same idea to spray out miniature ice cream snow storms. They also use the truck to distribute ice cream made with liquid nitrogen to curious bystanders.

Just think, one day the weather forecast could be cloudy with a chance of chocolate chip cookie dough. Shoveling the sidewalks just got a whole lot more fun!

48 Responses to “Second Scoop: Researchers find a way to turn clouds into ice cream!”

1. Caroline of Manalapan says:

With what we have received this year I don’t want any more snow even it came down as real ice cream

Fluffy clouds are now fluffy ice cream flavors. How about ‎Altocumulus, ‎Nimbostratus Clouds, ‎Cirrostratus, and ‎Contrails. How yummy is that!

3. Linda says:

No more snow anything even though it’s a cute idea!

4. MC says:

A dream come true!

5. Elaine Garfield says:

enough with the snow but if they could this in the summer I am all for it

6. sue says:

sounds cool! but it’s not nice to fool with mother nature!

7. Jean Marie says:

The snow is like the movie “Groundhog Day.”

8. Lou B says:

I think we should leave the Ice Cream making to Turkey Hill in a clean and sanitary environment .

I agree with Lou B. I think that people may get sick trying to eat yellowish looking snow, which they think is Vanilla Ice Cream

10. RJayne says:

With all this snow, what about an invention that can pick up
    all this snow and send it to the places that need snow or water.
    Think California

11. Diane G says:

I think the kids would be happy to shovel the snow.

12. Juliette says:

Sure, finally we may get kids to shovel !

13. millie says:

oh my don’t want ice cream clouds . snow that’s taste like ice cream. what a mess that would be

14. Renee Neuberger says:

Not a good idea. There are enough bad things being sprayed into our atmosphere as it is, while it is a cute idea, it just sounds like one of those things that in 5 years we wiil find out how much damage it has done to our world or that it increase cancer or something long that line.

spoons required not shovels for sidewalk cleaning

16. LindaR says:

I’d rather have it snow ice cream, than rain cats & dogs!

17. jan says:

Guess we should start designing snow shovels that look like large ice cream scoops with release tabs!

18. Andrea says:

Can’t imagine this would ever work but everyone would think it was great, especially if it was hot.

19. Pam says:

I have never been too keen on ‘what ifs’. Give me what is. As long as Turkey Hill still exists, we’re in good shape.

20. Harriet G says:

Definitely sounds like a crazy idea. I would like to see the truck that sprays out miniature ice cream snow storms.

21. Vicki Spokes says:

Ice cream snow would be better than what we have now!

Right now I don’t think even ice cream would make me like shoveling snow! I’ll keep mine in a bowl.

What will they think of next? There are much better things they could spend that money on. I’d much rather have the great flavors you are churning out at your factory.

24. Elsie Nicolette says:

I think there are better ways to invest energy and imagination, like to cure diseases!

I think there was a PG movie last year or so that had food falling from the sky…it ended badly as it became out of control….if I recall the previews…. but getting TH ice cream from the freezer is good enough….

It’s hard to imagine something like this coming true. It would make a good movie though. Why go through all that trouble when Turkey Hill is available at your local store.

I really like to have my Turkey Hill ice cream in the convenience of my own freezer. I get to choose the flavor, too.

28. Ida Beek says:

Ice cream snow would be out of this world different. Kids may love it but I’ll get my ice cream out of the freezer. However the idea is unique…..

29. Karen Chin-Mancini says:

Let me know when it will be in Verona, NJ I’ll be waiting!

30. mary ann herrmann says:

…I’ve had enough SNOW here in the Berkshires!! but never
    enough of TURKEY HILL.

31. Ron says:

Normally I would think that would be a beautiful, delicious scene. But I’m not sure we could have eaten it fast enough this year!

Oh boy, that would be wonderful unless a dog came by, lol.

SNOW—-UGH DON’T MENTION THE WORD.FEEL LIKE I LIVE IN ALASKA.
    ICE CREAM ON THE OTHER HAND WOULD BE NICE BUT MESSY IF IT CAME FROM THE CLOUDS.

what a terrible waste of ice cream, piled up on the curb and being pushed away by plows. I’ll take mine in a bowl please with sprinkles!

Silly.

36. marie grim says:

interesting. but this time i’d rather have my ice cream made the old fashioned way

Sounds wonderfully crazy! Uh, but I’d be into it.

38. Lydia says:

sounds neat can you imagine ice cream snow you eat your driveway clean and this year we got snow and cold. There would be a lot of kids out cleaning driveways.

39. celine dougherty says:

Please stop with the flavor of the months. Love your all natural line and recommend it to all. With so few flavors available why not just add the limited flavors to the everyday flavors. Cheers to you on having an all natural line for families that can’t eat the other ice cream.

icecream yessssssssssssssssssss SNOW nooooooooooooooooooooo

I love love love ice cream but this doesn’t sound like a good idea. Sorry

42. Bobi says:

Very cool!

43. Janice wilson says:

That sounds great. But we have our own recipe in Central PA when it snows. 1 can of Eagle Brand milk, flavoring of any kind (chocolate syrup, lemon, anything you want plus CLEAN snow. Mix the milk and flavoring. Add and mix the snow until ice cream consistency. Will keep in freezer. Great when snowed in and can not get to store to buy more Turkey Hill ice cream (our favorite)

44. Christy says:

sounds like a fun idea at first, but ice cream is too good to waste by landing in mud, fields, on houses, etc. I love ice cream without adulteration.

45. Dody says:

yummm, box of chocolates snow, or coffee snow sounds great!

46. PAM SCHIRMER says:

I’d prefer keeping to the Tried and True Turkey Hill way!

47. grams says:

I agree with LOU, Leave the ice cream making to Turkey Hill.

48. MARIANNE says:

Young and Old everyone enjoys the taste of ice cream and candy together and eating it just makes people feel happy !!!