WILD AND WACKY ICE CREAM NEWS

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on June 12th, 2009

It’s time for another edition of ice cream news from around the world. Like last time, all of these stories are true, except for one. Try to guess which one by leaving a comment!

1. NOW YOU SEE HIM, NOW YOU DON’T – An ice cream man in Flint, Michigan was just driving along, on his way to his next stop when he felt his truck rocking from side to side. Looking over, he noticed a man had entered through the passenger side door. Armed with a gun, the stowaway attempted to rob the ice cream man. Thinking quickly, the driver hit the gas pedal and the thug fell out of the truck without even a bomb pop to show for his lawlessness.

2. ONE VOTE FOR ICE CREAM! – The Rockland County District Attorney is investigating charges that voters in Ramapo, NY were enticed to vote in a 2005 primary election after officials offered free ice cream making machines to the first 2,000 voters. According to New York state election law, it is a felony to induce a voter with “any money or other valuable consideration.”

3. MONEY HUNGRY MOMMY – When a 12-year-old placed her $20 bill on the counter of a Deerfield, Illinois ice cream shop while considering her many choices, a woman, described in her 40’s with three children, grabbed the 20 bucks, gathered her own ice cream order and left the store. The girl was in tears, but after the security video was shown publicly, the thieving woman was turned in to police by…her husband! The woman and her husband claim the money grab was an accident and police are not filing charges.

4. WHEN MOST KIDS ARE BUYING IT, THEY’RE SELLING IT! – Two Midland, Michigan teenage brothers who bought a run-down ice cream truck four years ago and began selling ice cream during their summers have finally paid off their initial investment and have begun making a profit. The brothers, Ryan (now 19) and Chris (now 15) purchased the truck for $900, fixed it up and have been canvassing the town each summer since, adding live entertainment with guitars, harmonicas and props to their selection of candy, ice cream and pops.

5. HEAVENLY DESSERTS – Nuns at the Sisters of the Covenant in El Paso, Texas have turned to ice cream as a way to raise money for charity and other holy purposes. Thanks to the donation of an industrial-sized ice cream machine from a local ice cream manufacturer, the savvy Sisters are churning out five flavors of frosty treats —  including “Holy Moses” and “Heaven on Earth” — and have begun selling them at church functions and through area convenience stores.

Tags: ,

64 Responses to “WILD AND WACKY ICE CREAM NEWS”

1. Margaret M says:

I think number 2 is not true because everyone should know that it’s illegal to entice voters in any way.

2. brenda says:

Hi turkey Hill fans, I think it is Number 1,
    I brought my turkey hill ice cream yesterday, it was on sale at my store.

3. Chris Stoutzenberger says:

I ‘m going with # 1.

Why was the truck rocking back and forth if the man who entered was in the front seat. If the front door was shut properly, how could the speed throw him out of the truck…..but I am wondering why the truck was rocking?

4. Moosetracks says:

Just to be different, I say #3!

5. Jacqueline Seewald says:

They all sound true to me. Very convincing!

What won’t they do for Turkey Hill!

7. Lilly says:

I think #2 is the false story. I think peddling Ice Cream as a fundraiser is an excellent idea. I was a 4-H fundraiser and also sports boosters for an accumulated 21 years and was always thinking of ways to raise money for our members and teams.

8. mary lou says:

I say #2 is false .That would be like bribing someone to vote.No No No

9. jean says:

I think that it was #2. But entice me with Turkey Hill ice cream to vote for an election canidate, by the time they did a second, of investigating, there would be no evidence. Who enticed me with what?????????????????????????

10. louied says:

I say number one

11. karen says:

I agree with previous comments regarding 2. It would be a bribe to offer voters an incentive for their votes.

12. Patricia H. says:

I agree with Margaret: #2. Although #3 is fishy. How can you “accidentally” steal someone’s money?

great stories. I plan to tell my nun friends the last one about heavenly desserts.

14. Linda Leffler says:

I am going along with the others who vote for #2. I wouldn’t mind being enticed to vote with TH ice cream. Linda

15. mary says:

NUMBER FIVE IS MY VOTE FOR THE BOYS STORY

16. Kathy says:

I think #1 sounds like the least likely to be true. It might be true, just because it sounds so far out, but it got my vote.

17. CAROL TRANO says:

I have to say #2 is false, because I have never heard of any politician being so brazen as to advertise for his vote you will get an ice cream machine……..At least I hope it is false, because stories like that are really upsetting to the honest folks.

18. Susan says:

I vote for #3.

19. Nancy N says:

My vote is for #3.

20. Jill Moser says:

I think #2 is false.

21. johnferetich says:

if i was one of the nuns i would call the ice cream DIVINE INTERVENTION and then call them by different names such as heavenly bliss o hell fire

22. barbara kendall says:

I can’t believe #3!! Something should be done, if nothing else, so that her children won’t learn from her!! Barbara

23. Ellen says:

Story #3 sounds fake to me. Like someone else said, “How can you accidentally take someone elses money”.
    Hope you eventually let us know which # is right.

24. Caroline says:

Probably #3….though #5 and #6 run close second and third in possible fake stories.

25. J Mike says:

I’ll vote for #2 – so does my wife

26. BETTY says:

#2 false

I would pick story # 5 as least believable. I don’t know if nuns would be permitted to do this type of selling. I am sure others outside could do it and donate the money to the nuns. Don’t they have the vow of poverty?

28. Cheryl in NJ says:

I THINK that #2 is false because I work in Rockland County, NY, and grew up in EAST Ramapo, where my parents still live. As they are both longtime TH ice-cream lovers (like ME!!). I THINK I would have heard about this….I’m probably WRONG!

29. Cheryl S says:

I say Number 2–but Number 1 sounds fishy too–as mentioned before why was the truck rocking????

30. gianna says:

I still cannot make up my mind on which story is false, but I can tell you that #2 (“one vote for ice cream”) is TRUE!

31. Patty says:

#4 If it was four years ago, the 15 year old would not have been a teenager!

32. Patty says:

#4 If it was 4 years ago, the 15 year old would not have been a teenager!

33. Christine says:

I think that #3 is false.

34. Stephanie says:

I’m going to go with #5.

35. Nina M says:

Ironically it is the story about the nuns that seems to be false. This multiple choice of stories made me curious enough to do some research.

Story 1 about the attempted robbery of the ice cream man is true. Flint Journal reporter Shannon Murphy covered the. The truck was traveling slowly which gave the gunman the chance to jump in. The quick-thinking ice cream man stepped on the gas and the would-be robber fell out.

According to reported James Walsh the Rockland District Attorney’s Office is investigating charges that Monsey-area residents were enticed to vote with promises of ice-cream makers, so story 2 is true.

The Chicago Tribune reported on the 12-year-old girl who was left in tears at the Deerfield Baskin-Robbins after a woman swiped her ice cream money as noted in story 3.

A mid-Michigan business report confirms story 4 about Ryan Kaiser, 19, and Chris Kaiser, 15, who bought a rundown ice cream truck and turned it into “Imagine Ice Cream.” They added entertainment to their frozen treats business.

Not only does Turkey Hill provide delicious treats, they also give us food for thought!

I do think your false story should inspire some enterprising nuns to make some heavenly flavors — or scoop us Turkey Hill at their next fund raiser!

36. SF says:

Story #5 is false. Nuns and ice cream lol

I say #5. Get thee to the nunnery! LOL

38. bill says:

i say number 1

39. Robbin L. Netz says:

#5, but I do like the creativity of the names. Also, my husabnd is from Michigan, and I have found that some of the most unbelievable things truly do happen there.

40. Debbie L says:

I’d go with #2.

41. Bruce says:

the fake is behind #2

42. kathy w says:

i think # 5 is the true story

43. Maryann Striff says:

I think #2 is fake! But you never know!!

44. Harry Trout says:

My guess is # 5.

45. peg says:

I’d say #2. Good way to get people out early to vote.

46. Betty H says:

Loved the ice cream stories! Especially, the one on the Sisters of the Covenant in El Paso, Tex. Turkey Hill has nothing to fear from them! Your flavors are a little bit of “Heaven on Earth” for us mortals everyday! Keep adding new items! It gives us something to look forward to that we can still afford in these trying economic times!

47. Ann says:

I loved all of your stories, but I do find it hard to believe that the nuns would be allowed to make and sell ice cream. I would have to vote for #4 as being the best at showing that if you have an idea for a business go for it!It is nice to read about teenagers who are doing something good! Way to go boys!

Holy Ice Cream, Batman! What an idea for a fundraiser.

49. Dani says:

I’d say #2 sounds a little iffy…

50. Jenn K says:

Oh so embarrassed to hear yet another criminal story about Flint. And look – not a single person thinks that it is the false story!!! So to try and redeem my hometown, I am voting #1!

51. Linda Maynard says:

I say #1

52. Terri says:

I think that #5 is false but a great idea.

#1 Flint is in too many cop and robbers story books.

54. Deborah says:

Number one was funny… not sure in number 2 how lady could not have seen that the twenty was not hers.

55. Lorin says:

I cannot even find a web article on the Sisters of the Covenant in El Paso. I think number 5 is false.

56. Ken says:

I love your ice cream!

57. Louise says:

Delighted to hear peach ice cream. yum!!!

58. Rosemary says:

Love your butter pecan ice cream!!

59. Linda says:

Love ice cream!!!! 4 Containers in freezer now.

60. mary younger says:

I don’t believe #5, but who knows? I had to move to PA to get good ice cream!

61. Sylvia Roach says:

Thankyou so much for your products. I have never tried Turkey Hill before and couldn’t believe how good your icecream was . Kudos to Turkey Hill.

62. Robin Tanner says:

Turkey Hill Rocks! It is the best ice cream ever!

63. Nancy says:

I think it is #1. Unless the robber did not close the door & the driver was going around a bend resulting in the passenger’s side being tilted but it did not indicate it.
    But is could be #5. I love the story but where are the nuns selling the ice cream to raise enough funds to cover the expenses. Article did not say.