Happy National Dairy Month!

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on June 1st, 2012

Happy June everyone! We don’t know about you, but we’re excited that June is finally here because it marks the start of summer (a great season for ice cream and iced tea lovers like ourselves), but also because it’s National Dairy Month.

National Dairy Month started in 1937 as National Milk Month, but has now developed into an annual tradition that celebrates the contributions of the dairy industry and America’s dairy farmers. Turkey Hill’s dedication to local farmers is well known, and we’ve got good reason for our enthusiasm. All of the milk used in our ice cream comes from dairy farms near our Lancaster County dairy!

To help celebrate National Dairy Month, we’ll be giving away a cow-related prize (look for that entry on Tuesday), and we’ll also be interviewing four local dairy farmers. We’ll post a new interview each Friday in June, so stay tuned.

We’ll also post a new dairy fact each Wednesday in June. Here are a couple cow-related facts to get things started:

- Cows have an acute sense of smell, and can smell something up to six miles away.

- Cows only have teeth on the bottom.

- The oldest cow ever recorded was “Big Bertha,” who lived to be 48 years old. She also holds the record for lifetime breeding as she produced 39 calves.

- It’s possible to lead a cow upstairs but not downstairs, because a cow’s knees can’t bend properly to walk back down. (Although we’re not sure why you’d ever want to lead a cow upstairs!)

32 Responses to “Happy National Dairy Month!”

1. Jeffrey says:

I wonder if people visit Turkey Hill Farms for the dairy air?

2. I drink a lot of th milk, so every month is dairy month for me. Healthy, good for you, milk, the prime drink in my house.

3. MC says:

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

4. Marie says:

Interesting. Please Keep those facts coming. Thanks.

5. NORMA says:

Big Bertha is my kind of woman!

6. Pauline says:

Happy JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!

7. Jean Marie says:

Interesting facts! Keep them coming!

8. alicelynne says:

Love cows..had a dairy farm bordering my backyard in Gap when I was growing up. We would spend lots of time staring at each other!!

9. Nancy N says:

Interesting facts! :-)

10. Caroline of Manalapan says:

Its hard to believe cows can smell something up to 6 miles. When we took our kids to a dairy farm at milking time in the early 1970’s the smell was scaring our small children. The funny part our daughter under 5 years asked us when she saw the cows “who painted them?” She now teaches art

11. Harriet G says:

Thanks for the interesting cow facts.

Looking forward to the interviews and additional dairy facts throughout June.

13. millie b says:

wow what greats facts about cows

14. karen says:

Looking forward to the June facts. I must say I love that picture of the cow. Very photogenic!!

15. Edie says:

Thanks for the info,but keep making those yummy flavors of ice cream your first priority

16. Linda R says:

Jeffery: RE: Dairy air. I hope not! Have you ever smelled good cow country air? I think I can smell the cows from a good six miles away! :)

Thanks for the interesting facts and supporting our local farmers!

18. gloria says:

loved the picture of the cow. Cute!

JUST LOVE THE PICTURE OF THE COW. THOSE WERE SOME INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT COWS THAT I NEVER KNEW.

20. Regina says:

What a beautiful cow to represent National Dairy Month! If all the local cows are this beautiful, it’s no longer a wonder why Turkey Hill ice cream tastes so good. Thanks for the interesting cow facts, all new to me.

21. Ellen says:

Happy National Dairy Month. Have to get TH ice cream and Ice Tea among other things.

Can’t wait for next month. National Ice Cream Month where we eat ice cream every day. Not that we don’t eat ice cream every other month also. 365 days is not enough days to eat Turkey Hill Ice Cream. This year we had leap year, so one extra day of ice cream eating. Thanks Turkey Hill for your good ice cream. AGAIN CAN’T WAIT TILL NEXT MONTH.

Loved our V.I.P. Dairy Experience from the Mid Atlantic Dairy Association! A tip of the hat to all of the hard working dairy farmers who make TH and other brands of ice cream possible.

24. Carol Yemola says:

What a cute cow!

Happy National Dairy Month to all at Turkey Hill!
    It should be changed to “eat a serving of Ice Cream a day month”.

Hooray for the dairy farmers and all the cows who make it possible to enjoy TH ice cream!

27. Heidi says:

As someone who has considerable experience administering various pills to many bovines, I can tell you that cows DO have top teeth, but only in the back of the mouth. Happy Dairy Month! Eat lots of ice cream to celebrate!

28. BETTY says:

NOW I KNOW WHY I WANTED ICE CREAM YESTERDAY.

my favorite dairy farm is the Verdant View Farm in lancaster pa, I try to visit whenever I am in the area

30. Shawn Butler says:

Hi There! Great post and great news. To celebrate National Dairy Month, we’re launching a new online community all about ice cream (http://ice-cream.socialpositive.com). We look forward to hearing from Turkey Hill fans about their favorite flavors!

31. sue says:

that is the CUTEST cow!! keep the facts coming–i love that sort of stuff