Posted by Turkey Hill Team on March 17th, 2017

MARCH 2 - NATION - Ultimate Flavor Tournament logoIf you’re like most ice cream fans, there’s probably a Turkey Hill flavor that’s now retired that you’d LOVE for us to bring back to the line-up. Starting on Monday, you’ll have a chance to do exactly that!

Turkey Hill’s 86-year history includes  countless retired ice cream flavors — Fried Ice Cream, Baked Apple Dumpling, and German Chocolate Cake, just to name a few — and fans now have a chance to bring back one of those blasts from the past.

The opportunity comes from the Ultimate Flavor Tournament, a March Madness-style showdown driven by fan votes that kicks off on our Facebook page and right here on the blog on Tuesday, March 21. The 32-flavor bracket includes classic former favorites like Chocolate Cherry Cordial (1991-1995), Strawberry Rhubarb Pie (1996-2001), Pineapple Upside Down Cake (2005-2008), and Sticky Bun (1997-2000).

The tournament marks the first time we’ve given fans a chance to choose a new ice cream flavor, an envious task normally reserved for the Dairy’s research & development team.

Just like past Ultimate Flavor Tournaments, the action will feature a series of head-to-head match-ups between retired ice cream flavors, with the winning flavor moving on to the next round until just one flavor remains. The winning flavor will return to shelves as a 2018 Limited Edition option.

And if the promise of another taste of a former classic wasn’t enough, there will be prizes. At the end of the tournament, one voter on both Facebook and one voter on the blog will be chosen at random to win a one-year supply of ice cream!

We’ll post the first four match-ups on Tuesday, followed by four more the following Tuesday, four more then next, and so on. Stay tuned…and don’t forget to vote in each match-up and sound off on each blog entry with comments!

120 Responses to “The Ultimate Flavor Tournament kicks off next week! Which of our former flavors would you like to bring back?”

1. Elaine says:

Let the games begin and may the best ice cream win!!

2. Sherri Rosen says:

Pineapple Upside Down Cake definitely, but I won’t be upset if another flavor or more than 1 flavor wins.

Having lived in AZ for 8 years, I really enjoyed your Fried Ice Cream and was sad when it was no longer available.

4. Lois says:

Decisions, Decisions! Pecan Snapper, Chocolate Cherry Cordial – bring them all back!!!

5. Wanda says:

Strawberry rhubarb pie

6. Donna Keller says:

No sugar added Butter Pecan Ice Cream. You haven’t made this for at least 4 years.

CHOCOLATE CHERRY CORDIAL.NEVER HAD IT BUT WOULD LOVE TO TRY IT.

Am ready to take a stab at winning a year’s supply of ice cream!!!!

9. Darrel says:

I would like to see either Whoopie Pie, All Natural Cherry Vanilla or Southern Lemon Pie. Since the All Natural Blackberry Swirl and Blueberry kind of make up for losing the Cherry Vanilla, I would have to say Whoopie Pie #1 and Southern Lemon Pie #2.

It would be nice if some of the retired flavors could at times come back as limited editions. That way a flavor is not completely lost, and it would let everyone get a chance to experience his or her favorite at least every once in a while.

Chocolate Cherry Cordial

11. Mary Gropp says:

Can’t wait!

12. Vera says:

We would like Strawberry Rhubarb ice cream.

I already like the sound of Chocolate Cherry Cordial. Although Pineapple Upside Down Cake sounds good, too. Can’t wait to see all thirty two flavors.

14. Marge says:

When is Deep Dark Chocolate coming back?? I know spring is just around the corner but I am afraid it is not until summer, much too long to wait!!

15. Chocolate Cherry Cordial sounds awesome. This must have been a flavor before we started loving Turkey Hill Ice Cream.

16. Nan Volentine says:

Please bring back Baklava frozen yogurt!

Bring back German Chocolate Cake, that was one of my favorites!

18. I love lowfat versions of vanilla fudge and also chocolate chip.

19. debbie f says:

I need a refresher…give us a list of all the retired flavors

20. Sue Carper says:

Since our local stores never carry all the delicious flavors of TH ice cream,,, I haven’t had the pleasure of trying alot of the retired ones that you mentioned. I’m sure we’ve missed out on alot of goodness but the ones you mentioned above, all sound delicious!

21. YES!!!!!!! I was just thinking that the tournament for 2017 should be starting soon.

Sticky Bun sounds interesting!

Anxiously awaiting the Tournament-getting ready for Tuesday!!

24. Liz S. says:

Chocolate Cherry Cordial, please.

25. caroline from manalapan says:

I hope Orange Grove will be in the list

26. annie says:

Love the Deep Dark Chocolate. Also the Southern Lemon Pie. Do I have to decide?

27. Turkey Hill , Teaberry , White House Chocolate Cherry Cordial , Mint Chocolate Chip will always be loved .

Can’t wait until next Monday and Tuesday to arrive. I will be thinking about what flavor to bring back. Hopefully, my votes will see my favorite flavor come up on top in the Ultimate Flavor Tournament.

29. Lisa S says:

I would love to see chocolate malt chip back. What a yummy flavor.

30. Liz says:

Butter Almond. So sad when it left the line up. Still searching, nothing even comes close:(

They all sound good to me.

Love this tournament! Looking forward to minty treats!

33. Rachel Thompson says:

I instantly fell in love with Deep Dark Chocolate, but love the Southern Pumpkin Pie. I enjoy your contests and recipes.

34. Terry says:

This is always fun. Thanks, Turkey Hill !

35. Marge says:

Decisions! Decisions! I’ll wait for the list.

36. LouAnn says:

I’m ready, let’s get started!

YAY! I look forward to the Ultimate Flavor Tournament every year. Let the games begin!

My favorite way to eat vanilla ice cream when I was a kid was with pretzels so I loved chocolate pretzel when it was introduced. What made it even better than my childhood treat was having the pretzels covered in chocolate. So that’s the flavor that gets my vote!

39. Harriet Goldstein says:

I would like to see the Turkey Hill All Natural Cherry Vanilla back on the store shelves.

40. REGGIE MCGEE says:

WHAT A WAY TO HAVE FUN

41. Cindy Powell says:

Did you have a Honey Swirl? I bought it a year ago and it was amazing.
    Please bring it back!

42. Bonnie witte says:

Pecan snapper, sounds yummy!!!

43. Cherry vanilla & butter almond pleas.

44. John Randall says:

Liberty Mint

45. Peg says:

(1) Coconut crème pie, or (2) Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

I love this idea.

Whoever thought of changing from the standard March Madness selections to this one this one this year.. Kudos to you.

Great! Chocolate Cherry Cordial, Strawberry Rhubarb Pie, Pineapple Upside Down Cake, or Sticky Bun might be in the finals when the dust clears.

I am looking forward to the fun

50. Mary Anne Powell says:

Always like the tournaments. Fun to see if my choices win.

51. Sandra Carpenter says:

Whoopie Pie!

52. Sue Fine says:

Chocolate cherry cordial.
    BUT–I wish they would make the Coconut Cream Pie a regular!

53. Kris Barge says:

Please please please bring back the peanut butter marshmallow!! It was amazing!!

54. Brian says:

Bavarian Espresso

55. char says:

I noticed the Alpine Espresso flavor. I don’t remember that flavor, but, it is extremely hard to find a good coffee flavored ice cream in any brand. I really hope that comes out the winner or one like it.

56. Lori says:

Caramel Cashew Crunch or Caramel Brownie Overload (see a caramel pattern here?!?!) would fulfill my desire for awesomely delicious ice cream. So…bring one of these back!!

57. Tom says:

YES.. Chocolate Malt Chip.. brings back tons of great memories.. family favorite. please bring that one back!!

58. Robin says:

I always loved the lite almond joy ice cream, but I must be in the minority, because they told me awhile back that it didn’t sell very well. I still can’t believe it, but they should know! Wish they would bring it back long enough for me to get my fill.

• Pam says:

I love that flavor as well!! I agree it is hard to believe that it didn’t sell well. Now there are two of us so…….maybe?? :)

59. Koleen says:

Turkey Hill ice cream is the best!!! My family and friends all know they will be served ice cream at my home. At my last freezer count a couple months ago, I had 28 boxes of ice cream. I’m looking forward to adding a new/retired flavor to my selection!

60. edna robertson says:

bring back the upside pineapple so I can buy some of it

61. teresa scarborough says:

chocolate cherry cordial

62. Jamie Albon says:

Our favorite retired flavors are Southern Lemon Pie and Coconut Cream Pie. Please bring them back.

63. Susan H Jeffers says:

No sugar added Moose Tracks for my diabetic hubby, he nearly had heart failure when he couldnt get it anymore! Lived on it every day

64. JOHN T MCLAUGHLIN says:

Baked Apple Dumpling sounds like a winner to me!

65. LISA MOSSBERG says:

Choclate cherry cordial was the best!

66. Judy says:

My whole family loved the Bronx Bomber Sundae! I searched for it forever before finding from your website that it had been discontinued! Rename it, if understandably not everyone loves the Yankees! But the ice cream is AMAZING!!!

• R says:

Absolutely. Flummoxed that a product clearly superior to its competitors is discontinued for insufficient sales. Unless its margins were too thin.

67. Harriet Goldstein says:

I voted for my favorite in each category. I hope the All Natural Cherry Vanilla will get a chance.

68. Sue Tremblay says:

I really want to taste each flavor but most of all Chocolate Cherry Cordial!!!!!!

69. Jackie says:

Apple Dumpling because Apples are healthy.

70. Jill says:

Please bring back the light Chocolate Mousse Tracks. It was the best! Plus a favorite of all of my friends. We miss it!

71. DJ says:

conboy356@msn.com

Riddle: How can BAD be SO GOOD ?!?!
    Answer: when BAD = Baked Apple Dumpling !! Turkey Hil is SO GOOD, when it’s B.A.D !!

72. Jeremy says:

I’m voting for lady liberty

73. Billie jo says:

LADY LIBERTY

74. Alice says:

Turkey Hill ice cream? What’s not to like? Would love to see more Light choices but I cherish each flavor. Prefer the on with fewer calories so I can eat more!

75. mary ellen says:

Ice cream for a year…bring it on!!! Give me anything with chocolate and/or caramel and I’m in.

76. Yours is the only ice cream I buy…I love anything with nuts(pistacio), chocolate and or fruity flavors

77. I have tried to submit my comments several times and I am told that I did not do it correctly. This is my last time to do this…I will still buy your ice cream

78. Jason says:

Baked Apple Dumpling all the way!! One of my favorite flavors of any brand ever. Please let this comeback happen!

79. Meredith Pond says:

Too many choices! Hope I made the right one(s)!

80. R says:

I can’t believe I missed these when living in non-Turkey Hill-supplied areas!

81. Cynthia says:

My all-time favorite is Chocolate Cherry Cordial and I really miss it…a nice blend of chocolate and cherry…not too sweet but just a little different and special.

82. Gloria says:

I loved the fat free black cherry ice cream which was cherry ice cream with chocolate swirls and black cherries. Yum!

83. Love the Death by Chocolate…it’s the ultimate for chocolate lovers!

84. mickiej43@stny.rr.com

There is only one choice….this 74 year old would love to have my husband’s and my flavor back again before we reachour end….CHOCOLATE CHERRY CORDIAL…..has to be your greatest!!!

85. Amber says:

Pleeeeeeeeease bring back the Gertrude Hawk Box of Chocolates ice cream!! Chocolate ice cream, white chocolate chunks, milk chocolate covered nut pieces, with a raspberry swirl! And the best part? The little raspberry filled chocolate cups that were swirled in the ice cream……mmmmmmmmmm!!!!

86. Dave says:

Bronx Bomber Sundae The malted milk ball crunchies are excellent!

87. Kathy Richards says:

I would love to see Coffee all natural ice cream come back. Being a New Englander all natural coffee is my favorite flavor and very hard to find anymore.

88. the snyders pretzel was the bombdiggity!!! we were obsessed with it. so sad to see it go. hope it can come back.

89. the snyders pretzel flavor was rockin it!!

90. Joyce O. says:

Definitely Lady Liberty. Loved the taste of the chocolate cookie crunch.

91. Stefanie says:

Chocolate Cherry Cordial would be the best to bring back!

92. Ice cream for breakfast! YES! Especially if the flavor is coffee with the caramel swirl and chocolate! Of course, ANY flavor of Turkey Hill is a treat!!!! ANY day, any time of day and ALL year, T.H. ice cream is the best!!

93. Maria says:

Death by Chocolate sounds like it needs another chance! :)

94. Sharon Hrabovsky says:

These 2 classics have nothing on Salted Caramel. That smooth and creamy vanilla ice cream swirled with gooey caramel with a hint of sea salt is the perfect combination for a delectable and heavenly dessert experience. Nothing beats sweet and salty in one creamy caramely spoonful! Just LOVED that one! And so sad to find out it was a limited edition:(:(:( Kept going to the grocery store…looking and looking…and never finding again:(:(:( Ohhh the longing and desperation for just one more mouthful. Please oh please bring it back.:):):)
    Hate to be so dramatic, but as my daughter would say…That cream is on fleek!

95. Robyn Muir says:

Skinny Minty all the way!!! Can’t find anything like it!!!!!

96. dave says:

These poor people have obviously not had the opportunity of tasting
    your GINGER SNAPS ice cream. It is the best ice cream I have ever eaten!!!
    If I see it on sale anywhere again, I will go out and buy a freezer and fill it with GINGER SNAPS ICE CREAM FROM TURKEY HILL!!!

97. Barb Ransom says:

Southern Lemon Pie was totally irresistible! This limited edition flavor was superb and beyond delicious!!!! Please bring it back!

98. brenda haubert says:

MANGO!!!

99. brenda haubert says:

MANGO!!!!

100. Patti says:

Hands down – the best flavor ever is Peanut Butter Marshmallow! I look for that flavor every single time I buy my Turkey Hill. Please, please, please – bring it back!

I think you should bring back the limited batch all natural Banana Peanut Butter ice cream. Hands down my absolute favorite.

102. Susan says:

I really want Berried Treasure, even thought I don’t like the name. I do like cream cheese and berries.

103. Diana Ritter says:

please bring back my fav. BLITZBURG CRUNCH! I miss it emensly

104. Please bring our favorite ice cream BLITZBURGH CRUNCH!!!!!!! We’re going thru a withdraw from not having it!

105. Jenna says:

I wish there was a way that we could taste these as part of the competition. Although the description gives a good amount of detail, nothing beats actually sampling the product. I was too young to even remember some of these but there are definitely ones that I would try now, as an adult!

106. Dawn Blair says:

Being that Turkey Hill is a Pennsylvania made Ice Cream it was a pleasure to Enjoy Blitzburg Crunch as devoted Pittsburgh Steelers Fan! What a most Thoughtful way for a Company to show they truly support the Team and fans!! Honorable, but that’s how Turkey Hill Company is, A quite Unique, Attentive, Caring about People Company! Thank You, and So many of us Miss Blitzburg Crunch. Delectable French Vanilla Cream intertwined with fresh goodness of a delicate oreo cookie taste swirled with that crunch to most heavenly delight.

107. Lydia says: