Posted by Turkey Hill Team on May 5th, 2017

Everyone has pet peeves. And, if you’re an ice cream lover (if you’re reading this blog, there’s a good chance that you are), you probably have ice cream pet peeves.

Way back in 2010, we asked our readers to write a few blog entries for us. Evan T. of Marlborough, MA was asked to write about his ice cream pet peeves. You know, the things people do with ice cream that might bug you.

We’ve all got one or two (or 10) peeves. What are yours? Let it all out in a comment. Don’t worry, you’re among friends.

EVAN WRITES:

Hello, fellow Turkey Hill lovers! I’m Evan, a runner and blogger at Food Makes Fun Fuel, and one of my favorite fueling foods is ice cream! What’s better than a cold, refreshing treat after a hot Summer run? But believe it or not, you can be eating ice cream wrong, and I can’t believe people are making the same old mistakes! Here are my pet peeves when it comes to ice cream eating, and why it just drives me nuts:

Pet Peeve 1: Let ice cream soften before serving.

Yes, I know you’re impatient for your ice cream. We ALL are. But there’s a real reason that every carton of ice cream recommends letting it sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes before serving. Softened ice cream is more flavorful, and if you don’t soften it then when you scoop it will come off in clumps rather than a smooth scoop. Hold your patience. Plan ahead. And let your ice cream sit.

(EDITOR’S NOTE: Instead of letting the ice cream container sit on the counter to soften, scoop the ice cream and let the bowl of ice cream sit to soften. The less time your carton spends outside the freezer, the better!)

Pet Peeve 2: Use an ice cream scoop.

They wouldn’t have invented a tool just for this  purpose if it wasn’t really important, right? An ice cream scoop is designed to get a nice, round, portioned size of ice cream without mess, hassle, or error. No one will feel cheated by their scoop if it’s always the same size! Be an all-star and even keep a bucket of warm water nearby to dip it in between scoops.

Pet Peeve 3: Lick, don’t spoon.

Now, I realize this has been a point of contention for years and years. But here’s why scientifically it’s better to lick your ice cream than eat it with a spoon. First, ice cream is more flavorful at room temperature. When you’re licking, you’re getting the outer layer, which is the most heated. Second, our taste buds are on our tongue. When you lick, you’re getting direct flavor contact. If you’re eating with a spoon, the spoon blocks the ice cream from reaching the tongue. If you still insist upon eating with a spoon, turn it over in your mouth so that the ice cream reaches all your taste buds.

Pet Peeve 4: Stock up your sundae bar.

How many times have we gone to a sundae bar only to be disappointed to find just vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup? If you’re going to host a sundae bar, you really should go all out. More than one flavor ice cream, whip cream, chocolate syrup, and cherries are all a must. Candy toppings don’t have to be difficult, either. Take chocolate baking chips and chop up some candy bars from the snack drawer for some handy toppings.

There. I’ve confessed my pet peeves. And I hope never to witness any of these ice cream rules being broken again. Are you a licker or a spooner? Have I converted anyone?

49 Responses to “Second Scoop: Do you agree with these ice cream pet peeves? (And what are yours?)”

1. Sherri Rosen says:

I never have less than 5 scoops.

2. Donna Keller says:

I don’t let the ice cream soften, I use an ice cream scoop, and sometimes lick the scoop, sometimes I put different things on my ice cream. When I eat vanilla ice cream, I like fresh fruit on it, strawberries, blue berries, sometimes fresh peaches.

If you love something, you love it unconditionally. Hence, I have no pet peeves about ice cream!

I agree with Evan. Slow and steady is the way to eat ice cream so that one may enjoy it thoroughly.

Ice Cream Shop no no’s Scoop too small, price too large!

6. Joyce McCauley says:

Love the Turkey Hill Vanilla bean lite! Wish it were on sale more often.
    Joyce

7. mary ann herrmann says:

…everyone is entitled to their opinions. as for myself, I have no pet peeves with regards to my ice cream. unless, of course, my local market was to run low on TURKEY HILL. (it never does, however, as I make sure of that, believe me!!)

8. Liz S. says:

I seriously can’t stand when people don’t let ice cream properly temper, and then complain that the ice cream is too hard and not creamy enough…. DUH :)

This isn’t really a pet peeve, but more of a dislike – I don’t like “melty” ice cream. I don’t like ice cream that is partially melted and beginning to get soupy. Yuk I like it a bit softened.

10. mary lou says:

Picky people.We all have our ism,s so whatever floats your boat.Less calories if you use a dish but licking it means a cone and the crispy cones are so good.My preference

11. Darrel says:

One of the things that bothers me happens sometimes when I go to buy ice cream. At most stores, the ice cream freezers have a glass door where it is easy to just look in and see what kind of ice cream I want. After deciding, I open the door, get my ice cream, and then close the door.

My pet peeve is sometimes other customers will open the glass door and stand there with the door open for quite a time while deciding. What happens is the glass door gets all fogged up. Now when it is my turn to get my ice cream, I can’t see through the door because the glass is all fogged up.

One second point is many ice cream companies now using “Frozen Dairy Dessert”in their main flavors instead of actual “Ice Cream.” Thankfully Turkey Hill does not do that; almost all their product line is still “Ice Cream,” and that is why they are clearly my number one choice.

• George Kern says:

I completely agree with you, Darrel, and I have no compunctions about politely reminding the gaggle of people standing in front of the open doors. Not only do they leave the glass all fogged up, but they also block the view of anyone else wanting to look. I calmly mention (to the person at the front of the mob) that if she’d please close the door, the view would clear, no one would have to wait her turn, and everyone would be able to see at once. “Close the door, figure out what you want, open the door, grab your choice, and close the door. Isn’t that easy?” Sometimes someone will get huffy, but if you stay calm and try not to sound accusative, others behind you will cheer you on. After all, everyone’s equally entitled.

• Darrel says:

Thank you, George. I felt bad after I wrote that, but leaving the door open like that really is a problem. I don’t even mind when someone takes a long time choosing their selections. I just patiently move aside so they don’t feel rushed or pushed. It is just tough after waiting for my turn to see the glass all fogged up. The only way for me then to see what is in the freezer is to stand there with the door open. That I just can’t do. I was always taught even at home not to just stand in front of the open refrigerator door. Plus, having the door open more than necessary probably does not do the ice cream in there any good.

• Terry says:

OH, that foggy glass door.

• Mary Anne Powell says:

This would probably be my one pet peeve and folks don’t just do this when selecting ice cream!

12. Elsie Nicolette says:

I don’t like when others scoop ice cream out of the carton and take all the swirl or goodies featured in the flavor.

13. I have to let my ice cream melt before I eat it. I like to mix it up and make it soupy.

when it comes to ice cream I do not have any peeves – just eat and enjoy

15. MC says:

My pet peeve is that there are not enough chocolate flavors in the store.

Ewan is way to picky! Get off my case. To each his own. If I want to use a spoon, that is my business. For the most part, you are not going to miss out on much doing exactly what he complains about. When you go to an ice cream store, they don’t pull the flavor that you select out of their freezer and let it sit for 5 minutes< right? So why should I do that? Yes, at a store, I expect them to use a scoop, in my own kitchen, I don't need it to be fancy, so a spoon will do! I agree, if a restaurant claims to have a Sundae bar, then they should have a wide selection of toppings.

17. Marge says:

Elsie Ncolette I’m guilty of that one!

18. I buy Turkey Hill low fat and yogurt flavors and hope that doesn’t mean extra sugar.

19. RonF says:

If my full carton of ice cream is too hard to scoop, I put the carton into the microwave for 20 seconds – less for partial cartons. I guess I’m just too impatient to wait for ice cream to soften on its own.

I love my ice cream nice and hard so I can almost chew it! I never leave it out on the counter to soften. It is not good to leave any milk product out on the counter. I guess i have been eating it the wrong way for the last 65 years!!! Too Bad! I like it that way!

21. I like to pour hot coffee on a saucer then put a scope of chocolate to melt . The mixture of two are very good .

22. Judi says:

My pet peeve is the way some other people it it. A spoonful of ice cream goes in their mouth and then the spoon comes out with only half of the ice cream gone! Gross!

I like to whip up my ice cream in a bowl with my spoon. It then has the consistency of frozen custard. It becomes a delicious treat. I don’t have to do it but it makes for a smooth dessert.

24. Vera Howqard says:

We like ice cream soft and on a cone

Don’t have a problem with Turkey Hill ice cream. (Love their Butter Pecan). But I do agree with MC who said there are not enough chocolate flavors in the freezer compartment. Also, I hate when someone says they eat out of the container. That’s okay if you’re finishing the carton, but not if you’re putting it back in the freezer.

26. No pet peeves regarding ice cream for me because I only purchase Turkey Hill Ice Cream and TH is perfect so there’s no need for pet peeves.

27. Peg says:

My #1 pet peeve if brain freeze.

28. Mary Jo Kohler says:

no pet peeves except foe the calories.

have to have hot fudge on it

I have no pet peeves with ice cream itself but with the retailer who doesn’t carry the full line of TH flavors.

31. caroline of Manalapan says:

We have no peeves with ice cream but hubby & I do it differently (when just the 2 of us). I eat straight from the tub but he prefers in a dish to limit the amount he has plus can add Ubet of Hershey chocolate syrup which also gives time for softening. We agree why use a scoop which will have to be cleaned when the spoon we will eat it can do the job. We also agree with Evan to place the ice cream on the tongue to get all the flavor.

32. I have the perfect utensil to eat your Turkey Hill Ice Cream without blocking your taste buds. Use a pretzel rod. Just dip in he ice cream and you have a 360 degree utensil.

33. Janet Dietrick says:

not enough frozen yogurt flavors

34. Denise says:

love Turkey Hill ice cream

35. Thelma M Jones says:

My only problem is if container has been in freezer that it causes ice cream to have ice on it and changes taste

I don’t have any pet peeves about what people do with ice cream, but sometimes I’d like more chunks of hardened fudge when it’s in the ice cream.

37. Cathy says:

love Ice cream any way as long as it does not get freezer burn.

Hard ice cream is not good – always let it soften – it tastes so much better!

39. Marge says:

My favorite texture for ice cream is when I bring it home on a warm day and it has just begun to soften. I am guilty of eating it right out of the carton. Guess that is why I like soft serve so much, I really believe the flavors are at their best when the ice cream has started to soften.
    My only pet peeve is when the store runs out of a certain flavor. usually something chocolate.

WISH THEY WOULD SELL A CONTAINER TO KEEP MY TURKEY HILL ICE CREAM IN IT. I USE A PLASTIC BAG SO IF THE FREEZER BREAKS DOWN IT WOULDN’T MELT ALL OVER.

41. sandi mojzuk says:

no pet peeves. just a silly thought. My TURKEY HILL ice cream has an expiration date of like a year away… Ha!! It could have an expiration date of next week, but not to worry, It will be gone in just a few days..LOL

I don’t think of them as pet peeves but like the advice. I follow many of them now but never really knew how smart that was of me.

43. Jo Ann says:

My other half does not like anything IN his ice cream. No nuts, fruit, cookies. All has to be smooth for him. So therefore I always have to buy TH in 2’s. One for him and one for me. I usually mix the 2 up for an even better taste.

44. Marie says:

I have NO complaints, as long as I get my Turkey Hill.

45. James Stokes says:

Will there be Peaches and Cream ice Cream this year ? They haven’t produced it in the last three years so peaches and cream fans wonder if they will be able to buy it this year.