Who wants s’more? (Plus 5 fun facts about s’mores!)

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on July 13th, 2017

MAY30_NATION_ScoopSmores

When it comes to camping food, one menu item reigns supreme: the s’more. The graham cracker, chocolate and marshmallow treat is easy to make (just three ingredients!) and pretty darn tasty, too.

That’s why we’ve turned the campfire dessert into our summer Limited Edition flavor with Campfire S’mores. True to its inspiration, the flavor is made with graham-flavored ice cream with chocolate covered graham crackers and a graham marshmallow swirl. You can pick it up wherever Turkey Hill Ice Cream is sold. In the meantime, here are five fun facts you might not have known about s’mores:

smore1. The first known use of the word “s’mores” was in 1974, but the recipe for the treat was published in the Girl Scouts handbook “Tramping and Trailing With the Girl Scouts” in 1927. The snack was originally called “some mores.”

2. The largest s’more was created at Deer Run Camping Resort in Gardners, PA. The giant snack weighed 267 pounds and included 140 pounds of marshmallows.

3. The unofficial world record for the most people roasting s’mores at once is 404. This record was set at Colorado State University on April 18, 2015.

4. Americans buy 90 million pounds of marshmallows every year. During the summer months, 50 percent of them are roasted over the fire.

5. According to S’mores: Gourmet Treats for Every Occasion, marshmallows cook faster on a metal rod than on a wooden one, and coals tend to cook the snack faster and more consistently than flames.

33 Responses to “Who wants s’more? (Plus 5 fun facts about s’mores!)”

1. Linda Savitz says:

I think I would rather have “Turkey Hill” ice cream instead!!! I’m not into a lot of marshmallows!!

Stick to regular “S’mores” at the campfire, unless you like ashes & bugs in your S’mores ice cream! lol

Give me “s’mores, s’mores”! TH S’mores’ ice cream tastes just as great-nutritious and delicious.

4. mary ann herrmann says:

…sadly, I don’t like s’mores, in any way, shape or form.
    peanut butter rules for me!! but being Turkey Hill, I already
    know it’s delicious for s’more lovers.

5. The s’mores are the camping treat of the girls scouts . The Ice Cream S’mores are the stay at home parents treat for them waiting for their little scout .

Sorry, but this time the original item wins over the ice cream version. S’Mores are hot or nicely warm. This is one field where ice cream shouldn’t play.

I’m currently indulging in Smores ice cream each night.

8. Randee says:

How do I ensure my local grocery store carries this? I must stock up!

9. Donna Keller says:

When I was a camper and counselor at the Girl Scout Camp we always enjoyed make the s’mores. I really like eating them then, but with all the sugar, I don’t dare to eat them now. Although I would love too. Guess I can’t eat the TH ice cream either because of the sugar. BUMMER!!

10. Pam says:

Sounds good to me!

11. Brenda Brooks says:

Ok, Turkey hill just give me Turkey hill ice cream instead. I love Turkey hill ice cream.

And remember, the word s’mores is pronounced s’more, with a bit of a skip between the “s” and the “m”; it isn’t pronounced smore as in smile. Remember, it is the abbreviation for some more.

13. caroline of Manalapan says:

I agree with Linda, prefer my TH over smores or anything with marshmallows.

14. sue frantz says:

I’m going to stick to making my own s’mores and instead eat some of the other delicious flavors of TH Ice Cream. This flavor would not appeal to me as an ice cream.

I definitely want to try your S’mores ice cream!

16. Vera Howard says:

We would like to try them,always sound good

THAT LOOKS SO GOOD BUT I RATHER HAVE MY TURKEY HILL ICE CREAM.

18. Ron says:

I am not a fan of S’mores but I will try the ice cream!

Hooray for the GIRL scouts of 1927!!!

Never have had s’mores. I think I’ll stick with TH Butter Pecan. Love it !

21. Mary Anne Powell says:

Sounds like a must try ice cream!!! Thanks TH

Great information, so much fun to read the five fun facts.

While I love roasted marshmallows I never cared for s’mores – too sweet for my taste. I might try the s’mores ice cream though.

24. Interesting S’more facts. I love Turkey Hill’s Campfire S’more Ice Cream. It has all the flavor of actually eating a s’more. You guys are the best.

25. Elsie Nicolette says:

Haven’t tried the ice cream so will withhold judgment on whether the ice cream or the real thing are better.

Was never a Girl Scout, and don’t care for marshmallows, but I may still give this TH flavor a try!

Interesting facts. Can’t wait to try the ice cream.m

Graham Cracker, chocolate and marshmallows in an ice cream. I am all for it!

29. Sheila says:

I LOVE S’MORES!!!!!

30. Marie says:

I might try it. I am probably the only person in the world who has never had smores. Guess I should try it. This sounds like a good way to do so!!!!!!!

It sounds delicious!