Which ice cream flavor melts first? We found out!

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on August 28th, 2017

pic5Last week, we performed a simple test. Actually, “test” isn’t really the right word for it. More like a fun experiment. It was a hot day in Lancaster County — about 85 degrees — so we scooped up four flavors of ice cream and set them outside to see which one would melt first. The entire thing was broadcast via Facebook Live video and fans on Facebook were challenged to predict which flavor would melt first.

The roughly 35-minute video racked up more than 48,000 views as fans tuned in to watch Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberries ‘n Cream and Choco Mint Chip slowly melt away. Check out the video here. In the end, it was Chocolate that went first, followed by Choco Mint Chip and then Vanilla, leaving Strawberries ‘n Cream as the last flavor standing.

The experiment was a fun one, but it turns out a company in Japan has created an ice cream that doesn’t melt. How does the frozen concoction keep it’s shape? Here’s what one article had to say:

The ingredient that prevents the ice-cream from melting is the polyphenol which is extracted from the strawberries. Liquid polyphenol has properties that don鈥檛 allow water to separate from the fat of the ice-cream. This is what makes the ice-cream keep its consistency for longer.

How does the incredible, un-melting ice cream taste? We don’t know, but we’ll stick with our good old fashioned melting ice cream. After all, that drip, drip, drip off the cone isn’t always a bad thing, right?

39 Responses to “Which ice cream flavor melts first? We found out!”

1. sue frantz says:

I’m opting for good old fashioned ice cream too!! And making sure there is a bowl under the ice cream if I do this experiment–I don’t want to waste any of the delicious TH ice cream!

2. Donna Keller says:

Great test, who would have thought that the chocolate would be first to go.

3. Jay says:

The darkest absorbed the heat the best

4. mark johnston says:

what fun is it if it doesn’t melt

5. Cheryl Larson says:

wow

6. Donna McCauley says:

I love chocolate ice cream it is my favorite.I will not let it melt,I eat it to fast to savor every drop.

7. Lois says:

Catching the melting drips is the fun and delicious part of eating a cone filled with Turkey Hill.

Thanks for the “science” lesson-quite interesting why it lasts the longest and it is one of my TH favorite flavors!!!!

9. elr says:

Why add something when you already have perfection!

10. I love to put my ice cream in the microwave an cook it 15 to20 seconds . That makes melt and it seems creamier.

before I read your report, I thought Chocolate, dark colors absorb light more than light colors

12. Ron says:

I agree! You don’t fix what isn’t broken!!

13. I don’t think I would try the ice cream that doesn’t melt. What’s the fun in that?

14. gianna says:

All the more reason to eat it faster! ;)

15. Judi Purcell says:

Interesting and surprising!

Chocolate would have been my guess!

CHOCOLATE

18. Too bad I’m not much into strawberry!

19. Interesting test. It’s one test I would never personally perform since I can’t justify losing even a cone-full of Turkey Hill Ice Cream.

I like to let my ice cream half melt before I eat it anyway. Sounds like I’d be waiting quite a while in Japan lol

Wow. Some people really have a sense of the scientific. Great post. Interesting. I’ll stay with my TH Butter Pecan. My absolute favorite. However, I wonder which would melt faster, Chocolate, Dutch Chocolate, or Deep Dark Chocolate, (my second best favorite.)

Thanks for the info and the ice cream

It’s actually kinda fun to try & keep ahead of the drips until the bulk of the ice cream above the cone is devoured.

Just as a dark-colored car heats up faster in the sun, I think the darker color of the chocolate caused it to melt the fastest.

interesting

Interesting experiment!

26. Peg says:

I would guess chocolate.

27. caroline of Manalapan says:

I passed this to hubby who said the one he has in his cone. He also would expect the chocolate to melt first since it is the darkest which absorbs the suns heat the fastest. In the heat he recommends get it in a bowl so what melts you can drink.

PS during our Sandy black-out our TH started to soften before melting. He love it saying it was like eating flavored whipped cream

28. Janet Dietrick says:

strawberry yes!

29. Brenda Brooks says:

I thought vanilla ice cream would melt first. Good information Turkey hill ice cream. Now I will have chocolate and vanilla ice cream from Turkey hill ice cream.

Interesting experiment! Thanks for doing it so I can just eat my ice cream!

31. Mary Anne Powell says:

Fun experiment! I agree that the darker color would absorb the sun faster. I like your ice cream just as it is melting and all!!!

32. Elsie Nicolette says:

The ice cream never stays in my bowl or on a cone long enough to melt!

33. tom myers says:

I sure wish you would bring back your butter almond.
    Best Ever

34. tom myers says:

Sure wish you would bring back Butter Almond best ever.

Was it a coincidence that Strawberries n’ Cream lasted the longest and that the Japanese used extracts from strawberries to make their unmelting ice cream? I would think that ice cream that contained any kind of solids would hold the ice cream together longer. Of course I finish my ice cream before it melts. If I wanted melted ice cream I would have a milkshake.

36. jabeve says:

I would have guessed chocolate, because dark colors always absorb
    the heat faster. Deep dark chocolate is still my absolute favorite. It should be available year round!

Keeping it real! So I guess that the polyphenol in the Strawberries of the Strawberry and cream allowed it to last the longest. Since chocolate melts so quickly, I supposed that was the reason that was the first to melt. I believe that the microwave oven was discovered when a technician walked by a microwave device with a chocolate bar in his pocket and it melted.

38. That is an interesting test.