The top 10 ice cream flavors according to Turkey Hill fans (sorry, Vanilla!)

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on August 31st, 2017

Turkey Hill Mint Choco Chip

Quick, name your favorite ice cream flavor. Chances are, it’s probably not one of the nation’s top sellers.

According to national sales figures from the International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA), Vanilla is number one in sales rankings and has been since as long as anyone can remember. But is the versatile, no-frills flavor truly the top choice among ice cream fans? To find the answer, we polled more than 4,000 fans on Facebook the Turkey Hill Nation.

After the votes had been counted, it was Choco Mint Chip (aka Mint Chocolate Chip) that emerged as the frosty favorite. The classic combination of mint ice cream and chocolate chips was followed by Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Marshmallow, and Black Raspberry to round out the top five.

As for Vanilla? It was nowhere to be found on the list and eventually ranked number 12 in the Turkey Hill poll. Even Chocolate — the perennial number two in the IDFA sales rankings — failed to crack the top 10.

“The results of the poll don’t necessarily mean that Vanilla and Chocolate aren’t good flavors,” explained Turkey Hill President John Cox, whose own personal favorite is All Natural Vanilla (almost everything else is a close second). “They’re fantastic flavors and universally liked, which makes them good choices for birthday parties and ice cream socials. That’s exactly why they’re the top sellers.”

Rounding out the top 10 in our fan survey, starting at number six, are Black Cherry, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Double Dunker (a Turkey Hill-exclusive flavor consisting of mocha-flavored ice cream swirled with cookie dough and chocolate cookie swirl), Peanut Butter Ripple, and Cookies ‘n Cream.

TOP 10 FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVORS

1. Choco Mint Chip
  2. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup
  3. Butter Pecan
  4. Chocolate Marshmallow
  5. Black Raspberry
  6. Black Cherry
  7. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
  8. Double Dunker
  9. Peanut Butter Ripple
  10. Cookies ‘n Cream
SOURCE: Online poll of more than 4,000 Turkey Hill fans on Facebook and the Turkey Hill Nation in July 2017.

40 Responses to “The top 10 ice cream flavors according to Turkey Hill fans (sorry, Vanilla!)”

1. sue frantz says:

sorry for me it is vanilla–it’s SOOOOOO versatile!! and goes with everything!

2. Michael Eddy says:

I like choc mint chip, but only 3 of the above flavors would make my personal top 10 list. I no longer am a regular coffee DRINKER, but coffee ice cream has always been and remains my personal #1. Plain coffee, coffee with chips or chunks or whatever mixed in. If there were 10 varieties of coffee ice cream – that would make up my entire list. No apologies to vanilla – too plain – and I like chocolate – and love peanut butter – but coffee then, coffee now, coffee always.

3. What, no coffee ice cream lovers in the TOP 10????

The top ten all sound and taste good to me!! A tip of the hat to TH for sharing it.

5. Elaine Garfield says:

versatile vanilla is my fave, it gives me so many choices

6. Linda Savitz says:

I don’t like choco mint chip, but I like the rest of them on the list. YUMMY!!

I agree, the basics of Vanilla and Chocolate, which are probably the basis for most of the other flavors, make them the simple thing to get for a party, especially for children, who have not developed a taste for some of the others. I like the Chocolate peanut Butter cup, Butter Pecan and Peanut Butter Ripple. Cookies and cream have also been a family favorite. However, peanut flavors might not be bet for parties, with all of the allergies around now.

8. Melynda Rockey says:

WHat, no salted caramel lovers! I am addicted to it – but only Turkey Hill brand. Others do not compare.

9. Eileen says:

Hooray!! My Fav is #1!!! Love, love, love Choco Mint Chip. And it’s mainly because there are no chips that you have to bite into like other brands have. It’s creamy, thinly shaved chocolate that melts right along with the delicious mint ice cream. Perfection at its best!!!

Chocolate Marshmallow is yummy!! Never understood the appeal of Vanilla. Now that I’m OLD, I can taste the subtleties of a high-end Vanilla, but still…

11. Peggy says:

Teaberry and pistachio are my favorities.

12. Mary Anne Powell says:

Although I enjoy these, my favorite is still coffee!

13. Patricia says:

I really love vanilla. I can turn it into all different flavors by adding chocolate, caramel, berries, candies, cookies. Vanilla is the best!

14. Denise says:

sounds like a yummy top ten

I can’t believe Tin Roof Sundae didn’t make the list! Vanilla ice cream, peanuts & chocolate?! Thats perfection!

16. Judi Purcell says:

Rather surprised by number one, but not at all by my number 3 Butter Pecan – the BEST!

I’m another coffee lover, also malt.

18. Maureen says:

I love the Chocolate Malted Specialty ice cream but Chocolate Marshmallow is my regular favorite. Actually, almost any ice cream with chocolate in it I like. Five of the top 10 listed above are delicious to me. Keep up the good work Turkey Hill!

19. Donna Keller says:

Love the list, but due to all the sugar, I can’t eat any of them. Wish you would make some with less sugar, besides vanilla. How about black cherry and butter pecan without sugar. Sounds good to me.

20. We love Moose Tracks and buy your low fat variety. But my favorite is Vanilla Fudge and I don’t see that anymore.

21. Ken says:

My top three are butter pecan, black cherry and vanilla, in that order

Chocolate my favorite plus vanilla

23. Pam says:

Right on!

24. Cate Weeder says:

Vanilla. Chocolate. Or any other flavor – ICE CREAM! And Turkey Hill is amazing!!!

25. Yeah, my favorite. if I must pick, is #2 – Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup. They represent my fav’s of anything chocolate and of course Peanut Butter Cups

26. Elsie Nicolette says:

I would agree with the top 3, but then comes vanilla according to my taste buds!

None of the above – except BUTTER PECAN ! So happy to see my favorite TH flavor – Butter Pecan – on the top 10 list.

Black cherry vanilla is my #1

29. Brenda Brooks says:

Turkey hill what happens to my vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream. I love my vanilla ice cream. Chocolate should have been number one. Strawberry should have been number one too. I am a fan of Turkey hill ice cream for over forty years.

Since Turkey Hill has such a variety of flavors you will probably get a different list of favorites when you poll Turkey Hill fans. We, the fans, have been exposed to so many delicious flavors we shy away from the plain vanilla and chocolate route. I will certainly vote for any one of those top ten flavors compiled from over 4000 Turkey Hill fans.

31. Denise K says:

What about Dark Chocolate Expresso?!

Mint chocolate chip has always been number one for me. Go mint!

BLACK CHERRY IS LISTED AND BLALCK RASPBERRY, CHOC. MARSH. ALL FAVORITES OF MINE. ANOTHER FAVORITE IS FUDGE RIPPLE AND STRAWBERRIES N CREAM. DON’T SEE THOSE LISTED.THESE ARE MY FAVORITES.

34. How about WHOOPIE PIE that was the best one ever made

35. Ron says:

When it comes to Turkey Hill, all the flavors are #1 in my book!!

My favorite is still Double Dunker. Unfortunately I can’t find it in my local shops lately. :(

according to sales but I buy according to taste

38. My favorite is Vanilla and Chocolate .

39. Stacy Hines-farrar says:

I LOVVVVE BLACKRASBERRY……!!!!!!!

40. Jean OBrien says:

I love your tin roof ice cream but have unable to get it for months. I usually get it at Hannaford’s in Clinton, Ny 13323