Is eating ice cream for breakfast a good idea?

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on October 11th, 2017

pic5In a world where social norms frown on eating dessert before dinner (does it really matter?), the idea of eating ice cream for breakfast might seem like something out of a dream. Now you might have a reason to make that dream come true, because researchers have found that eating ice cream for your morning meal might actually improve your mental performance and make you more alert.

That’s right, you can now have a double scoop of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough for breakfast because SCIENCE says so.

The study, published by Kyorin University professor Yoshihiko Koga, found that people who ate ice cream after waking up had better reaction time and were able to process information better. The ice cream eaters also had increased high-frequency alpha waves, which aid in alertness and a reduction of mental irritation.

Now, you’re probably thinking that it has something to do with the coldness of the ice cream “waking up” the brain, right? If so, you’re thinking like a scientist, because researchers tested that theory by giving test takers cold water instead of ice cream. The results: cold water drinkers did show higher levels of alertness, but only the ice cream could create the higher mental stimulation.

Now for the bad news…

In the year since that “study” went viral (back in November 2016), several news sources have tried to confirm the validity of the study and have come up a little short.

Kyorin University is a real university and Yoshihiko Koga is a real researcher. The study is real and so are the findings, but here’s the catch: Instead of eating a normal breakfast of oatmeal and buttered toast, the control group in the study consumed no breakfast at all. So, it could be that the reason the ice cream eaters experienced a spike in mental ability was simply because they had eaten breakfast.

Which also means, that maybe ice cream for breakfast isn’t the best option for a morning meal after all. Or maybe it is – on a few very special days at least.

40 Responses to “Is eating ice cream for breakfast a good idea?”

Who cares what a study shows about eating ice cream for breakfast? When I feel like eating Turkey Hill ice cream for breakfast, who’s to stop me? I love eating ice cream for breakfast, and do so frequently. Sometimes for dinner, too.

2. Sherri Rosen says:

It’s good on waffles and in a bowl. Nothing wrong with ice cream for breakfast.

3. JANET says:

i say YES! bring the bowl of ice cream . what a wonderful way to start the day

4. Lee Carr says:

I eat ice cream when it is right for me and you should too

5. Elaine Garfield says:

much as I love ice cream I also like my eggs for breakfast

I don’t see a problem eating ice cream for breakfast!

Morning, noon, or night is a GREAT time for TH ice cream. I say anytime is a good time to eat ice cream after all, it is good for you!

8. Sheila says:

You state that “researchers have found that eating ice cream for your morning meal might actually improve your mental performance and make you more alert.” This makes perfect sense to me because eating ice cream for breakfast would make you really happy! If you were really happy, you’d be able to focus better and be more alert! YES!! Ice cream for breakfast!!

9. I have put ice cream in my morning coffee in place of milk and sugar. It’s a great way to start the morning. Also great on blueberry waffles with fresh fruit!

10. sue frantz says:

of course it’s a good idea–it’s frozen milk!!

11. Denise says:

Ice cream on waffles once in a while never hurt anyone.

12. Donna Keller says:

Sounds good to me, ice cream for breakfast, although there aren’t that many flavors for me to choose from. I can only eat sugar free or light.

I KNEW it was too good to be true!

14. Lois says:

Science or no science – ice cream is delicious 24/7!!!!!!!

Eating breakfast, is obviously better than not eating anything. I guess, maybe some of the “no breakfast” group probably had just coffee. So how about that coffee flavored TH?

Breakfast is definitely an important meal. But ice cream for breakfast sounds like a good thing every so often too!

17. When I get Hungary for Ice Cream I eat it! I don’t care what time it is.

18. Harriet G. says:

Eating ice cream for breakfast sounds like a great idea to me. I would like to eat ice cream for breakfast, but I don’t because I was not brought up that way.

19. Pam says:

Does it really matter the time of day when one eats ice cream as long as ‘healthy’ foods are eaten sometime during the day?

20. I think a well-balanced diet should include Turkey Hill Ice Cream. Sure beats pop tarts lol

I CAN’T SEE WHY ONE CAN’T EAT ICE CREAM FOR BREAKFAST. I HAVEN’T DONE SO BUT WHY NOT.

I LOVE ice cream, but it does not tempt me as a breakfast food.

23. Linda Savitz says:

We can eat “Turkey Hill” anytime of day or night. At least I can!!It goes good with bananas and blueberries too!!

24. Denise Cramer says:

Well Ice Cream does have protein in the milk and they say you should have protein for breakfast and your sugar intake is better in the morning so you can burn it off during the day. I vote for ice cream breakfast.

25. frannie says:

Why Not! Ice cream can be eaten at all meals with or without waffles!

26. Terry says:

I have a friend with two boys. When they were in elementary school, they would not eat anything for breakfast…..until they had the ice cream option. They didn’t eat the ice cream for breakfast long until they started eating and requesting the more traditional breakfast foods. My friend is a good Mom.

I regularly have ice cream for dinner. Maybe I should start the day with breakfast ice cream instead!

28. Elsie Nicolette says:

I think the study was showing the importance of eating something for breakfast rather than the specific food. I love ice ceam–especially Turkey Hill–but would rather have it later in 9000the day.

29. caroline of Manalapan says:

Never had the urge for breakfast but hubby says if he has a breakfast at dinner time which he sometime does he could try a sundae with it

30. Miss Butterfly says:

No, ice cream is not an ideal food to have for breakfast. The alertness is because the body has been loaded with sugar, and our bodies do not need that after an eight hour fast. If those people were followed throughout the day, I am sure they crashed mid-morning. Now, that being said, have I ever eaten ice cream for breakfast? You bet I have, and it was good!!

31. sue hulme says:

i must say I have never done it but now it sound like a great idea!

32. I love ice cream any time of the day!

One of my favorite things to eat at the fair was a waffle sandwich – delicious hot waffles with a slice of vanilla or neapolitan ice cream in the middle. It was great then and it would be wonderful for breakfast

34. Marie says:

Sounds like a wonderful way to start the day!!!

I don’t know if I would just eat ice cream as a breakfast meal. I would prefer having it as a side to maybe waffles or pancakes. and a small bowl at that.

36. Mary Anne Powell says:

Never thought of that but would have a small bowl….maybe some on my oatmeal instead of milk!

37. Corn flakes and Ice Cream are the same as Corn flakes and milk . Why wouldn’t that be the ideal breakfast . Now add chocolate and you’ve got the breakfast of Champions !!

Ice cream definitely for breakfast!

I knew there was a good reason for me to eat ice cream for breakfast, I just could not find anyone to write it down, now I can show it to my family! I have been eating ice cream in the morning for a long time.

I have eaten icecream for breakfast, I see nothing wrong with eating anytime of the day or nite