New Turkey Hill half-gallon bottles have arrived!

Posted by Turkey Hill Team on October 26th, 2017

PET Bottles - VerticalWhat difference does a new half-gallon container make? For us and fans of our iced teas and drinks, the difference is a big one.

Starting this week, shelves nationwide will see a newer, more modern half-gallon drink container made with environmentally friendly PET plastic. The upgrade includes all half-gallon Turkey Hill drinks — a total of 22 flavors across the Dairy’s iced tea, lemonade, and fruit punch products.

The new bottles, made with clear PET plastic, replace the opaque containers and come with several benefits:

1. A new “pinch grip” on the neck of the new bottle makes the half-gallon container easier to grip and pour.

2. Crystal-clear packaging provides an unobstructed view of what’s inside.

3. The new bottle is also stronger and more rigid than its predecessor, meaning fewer dents.

4. The PET plastic provides a more complete oxygen barrier (unlike the old HDPE plastic, which can allow odors to permeate), which helps the container maintain a crisp and fresh flavor for the drink inside.

The switch to PET plastic follows a similar upgrade to Turkey Hill’s 18.5-ounce, single-serve bottles in 2015.

Overall, we’re very excited about the new bottles and we hope you are, too!

UPDATE: Thanks for the positive and optimistic comments! To answer a few of your questions, YES the containers are recyclable and YES the new half gallons will the SAME PRICE as the old half gallons.

35 Responses to “New Turkey Hill half-gallon bottles have arrived!”

Well done to The folks at Turkey Hill to come up with a better bottle for their drinks.

2. rita hocheiser says:

I am very unhappy with the new bottle. It doesn’t take into consideration those of us with smaller hands or arthritic one. To me,it is difficult to handle Love the contents

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to drinking some tea!

4. Harriet G. says:

I purchased some of the Turkey drinks at Shoprite last week. There was a mixture of the old and the new bottles on the shelves. I like the new bottle, but I also miss the handle.

I will reserve judgment before I comment on the grip.

Another great idea! Thanks for the improvement Turkey Hill!

7. caroline of Manalapan says:

Like the clear so I can see inside. From the view I can’t see the neck pinch so I can’t comment on it. I would like the handle back or a pinch in the mass of the bottle (similar to the Tropicana orange juice bottle) to hold and pour it by.

8. Nancy Whiting says:

Larger sizes of some products are not always good. Within the last year, because of failing health & failing strength in my hands and arms, I’m finding it VERY difficult to lift heavier items out of the refrigerator. One of these times, I’m going to drop a heavy bottle on the floor accidentally and that will be the end of me buying the “giant economy size”. I opt for the smaller size bottle.

so my last request is
    are they recyclable

SEEMS LIKE A GOOD IDEA.

11. Denise says:

looks like they’ll fit in the fridge nicely, too.

12. Barbara Bate says:

I haven’t tried the new bottles, but I assume the change will somehow raise the price. I also like the handle and even when buying a gallon, always transfer to the smaller bottle.

• Turkey Hill Team says:

You’ll be happy to know that they’re the same price, Barbara!

• dave ferko says:

cute how you ignore the handle comments. tell me how one is supposed to carry more than 2 of these, 1 in each hand? or what about the people who stock the shelves? im sure you bottle plant has automatic casers but what about the guy who has to case these things? where 1 could easily carry 4 half gallons in 1 hand now i can only move 1? smart to do it in the beginning of winter too, so you can blame sliding tea sales on the season, but those numbers will not come back up, I for one will be looking for a different product. good job building up the tea business the past few years now you are going to spit in our faces.

• Sarah Ferko says:

You have to excuse my husband….he has had quite a bit of heavy sand in that vag of his and for quite some time, I have yet to receive exquisite pearls…We’ve been married for eh a little over 6 years and give this man something to bitch about and yes, he’ll run with it like he’s going for the gold in an olympic marathon I say here’s a perfect solution: Chest baby carrier!! Sand has evacuated vag and you’re good to go! But yeah I have no problem with the bottle although I have much smaller hands.

easier with a handle

14. Lois says:

‘Love the contents but please modify this design with a handle.

15. Three cheers for Turkey Hill: Hip-Hip-Hooray, Hip-Hip-Hooray, Hip-Hip-Hooray!!!!!!

This is terrific news.

16. Renee says:

Very dissatisfied with the new bottles. I purchase numerous bottles of your ice tea on a weekly basis for family members, having no handle on the new bottles makes it harder for my family members to take the bottles along with them during the day while they are in and out of the tractors, trucks and other farm equipment while working on our farms. If you could come up with a way to add a handle onto your new bottles that would be a great way to be able to appease numerous of your customers while still maintaining the environmental benefits that you have stated. Please take into consideration what your customers have to say!

Oh-oh Sounds like some people have problems handling the new bottle and some love it.

Is it possible to make everyone happy?

18. Michael F says:

Very happy you made the plastic switch. What took you so long?

19. Elsie Nicolette says:

Looking forward to trying the new bottle design and see for myself.

20. David Wineholt says:

NO HANDLE???? WHO EVER THOUGHT OF THAT SHOULD LOSE THEIR JOB. It shows the person is FAR OUT OF TOUCH WITH THE CUSTOMER BASE.
    The old handle made it easy to carry around or even take on walks as it could even be clipped to a carbiner on a backback.
    So many many people just buy the half gallons so they can bring the teas with them and this change puts a stop to that. It makes it alot harder to evern carry few blocks walking home from store.

Alot of men grab a half gallon on way to work and drink out of container and carry tea around with them everywhere by the handle and even use the handle to clip it on belt, bikes, backbacks. 70% of men i know do this. Drinking out of the jug and only drinking that all day buying new one everyday. Thats all changed now with no handle it sucks.
    Just walking home 3 block i dropped my tea 5 times!!!!!!

The handle is actually one of the reasons my self and alot i mean alot of people i know only get the half gallons and dont bother ever buying other drinks but thats changed now thanks i guess i will be finding another brand

The new plastic is good and all but PLEASE BRING BACK HANDLE maybe make some additional changes to keep tea colder longer than 30 mins when out of fridge or something.

Sales of the half gallons will drop a a little bit with no handle mark my words on that one

21. Jordan says:

These would be good if they still had handles. What if people buy multiple at a time? Makes them a lot more difficult to carry.

I know that the environment was considered when these bottles were introduced. But from many of the comments the missing handle seems to be the big story. As long as the contents has the same great taste I will be happy.

23. Joseph Caulfield says:

I purchased a new half gallon bottle as I do most every week. I’m one of those people who found the missing handle a big deal. The new indentation handle is cumbersome. I’m a senior and the old handle has been a big plus when loading and unloading my grocery items. As much as I like your tea, I will look for a brand with a handle on the bottle. Just curious – did you do any kind of consumer testing before introducing this new packaging?

24. These new bottles are awful. With no shopping carts in your convenience store and long lines at the register – it is virtually impossible to carry 4 or more of these to the counter, or stand in line holding them. I do not like them. Very inconvenient!

25. PJR says:

Now put the handle back on, that you took away. Now I need a double bag to carry.

26. John Lynch says:

I have these things called “fingers” on my hands that like to wrap around handles. Great new bottle if you’re an octopus.

27. Karen Mathews says:

LovED your Diet Decaf Lemon Iced Tea. It hasn’t been available lately so I tried your orange flavor, which is way too sweet for my taste.
    My kitchen floor, kitchen cabinets and, sadly, my cat, got a bath in the above because of your ridiculous slippery plastic bottle that doesn’t have a handle! That’s right, the thing slipped right out of my hand and the contents spewed all over my kitchen.
    When something works, why do companies screw around and mess it up?

28. Nate Pease says:

I love your drinks, especially the Sweet Tea. But I just saw your new half gallon bottles, and they are horrible. Where is the handle? Why would you want to make it harder to carry multiple containers of your product? Plus, did you consider how kids will be able to pour these containers?

29. dave ferko says:

these bottles are horrible, cannot open 1 handed while driving anymore, what about all us working men who drink your tea??? there is no way these bottles are cheaper than the old standard half gallon, i bottled milk i know. so quit with the hoity toity crap and give us back a functional bottle.

30. Marc says:

Turkey Hill Team,
    After reading these comments it seems like a large majority of the complaints focus around the fact that you removed the handle. It sounds like the plastic is better, stronger, and looks nicer. It may be cheaper to make as well. But none of these things matter to a customer if it’s not convenient to use the product.
    Hopefully you listen to your customers and bring the handle back. In the end, I think you’ll lose more money by not including a handle than any cost savings obtained from the new bottle. Maybe I’m wrong but I’m sure the sales figures will show you that.
    I think it would also be a good idea to acknowledge customers concerns about the new tea bottle. You need to be receptive to both positive and negative feedback.
    Sincerely,